Battery Water

Ha! :lol: I was just about to post that. 2 years, that's how long your battery will last, maybe 2 1/2.

Mine lasted 2 years and 2 months, whilst I didn't add water for 1 year and 3 months.

So I'm guessing... had I faithfully added water... would it have lasted 3 years??? ;)

Edited by junkofdavid2

Don't have any idea how it lasted without being refilled for more then a few months let alone a year?

Shutting off your headlights has no effect whatsoever except to prematurely wear out your head lights and switches. Your headlights and all other accessories are operated by the alternator in your car not the battery. During usage your battery is only for the purpose of storing a charge enough to start your car and once that is accomplished the alternator takes over and operates all accessories as well as recharging your battery for the next use..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Don't have any idea how it lasted without being refilled for more then a few months let alone a year?

Depends on charging. car used only 20 minutes 2 times a day and charging only 13,5-13,8 volt, water never needs refilling. and battery never reaches full charge.

battery is able to recieve more charge when its colder, IOW initial 10 minutes after starting engine. Avoiding load during this time extends lifetime

Edited by katabeachbum

KBB, Do you have a shop recommendation to buy the Boliden battery in Phuket?

Chao Fa east, redlight, coming from Chalong just before market on right hand and SCbank on left side, at the small entrance to Villa California at the corner of 7-eleven. 1800-3000k baht installed and they keep the old battery. They seem to get them from a larger dealer, but since their price is ok I havent bothered to search more.

Aske them to measure your charging when installed. Should be 13,8-14,4 Volt

batteryes from car makers in LOS are usually to small (not cold weather package/not tropical package), so I reckomend to get as large as possible (space/brackets and cables)

I have always wondered how anyone can give warranty on a battery, since lowering it to 11,5 volt 5 times its guaranteed to die in a month:unsure:

Slightly O/T but kind of not, anyone had a battery last at least two years here? Mine seem to go right after the one year warranty goes.

Ha! :lol: I was just about to post that. 2 years, that's how long your battery will last, maybe 2 1/2. Anyhow, I buy the pink stuff, don't know why. I DID buy the 50% more expensive "no maintenance" battery once, and you guessed it, it lasted 2 years.

My battery has lasted nearly three years now, but that is with regular topping up, nearly every two weeks in the last year!

Sounds like a good rule of thumb is to replace your battery every two years. Period. They're not that expensive, particularly when compared to the hassle of jumping your car in a cramped, underground parking garage. I learned the hard way -- and even with my own jumper cables and hand-cleaner solution -- it wasn't much fun.

Also, get a quality battery. Someone told me the 'green colored' ones won't even last two years. I'm sure there are some others out there to be avoided....

The thought of my wife having to go thru this is what really sold me on the two year plan.

Just a quick note that sealed gell-cell batteries are available in car and truck sizes - they're most commonly used by car audio nuts due to their increased amp-hour ratings and superior cycling ability, and of course you pay a price premium, but if you need a battery that will take a beating on discharge/recharge cycling (i.e. off-roading, winching, camping, audio etc) they're probably worth it.

The range is more limited in TH than abroad, but I have seen vendors selling both the Optima's (sprial wound gell cells) and the Stinger's (conventional plate style gell cells).

Want a guaranteed source of distilled water for your battery ?? Urine. Readily available, pure, minimal contaminates, free. The answer was in the palm of your hand all along.

Can you please provide more info in regards to how urine is;

1] pure, &

2] minimal contaminates.

Just my family experience. We have 5 cars altogether, so we change quite a bit of batteries. Our GS, 3K, yuasa usually last 2 years almost on the dot. I have a Boliden that is 2.8 years now (I think it is just random luck that this battery last longer), and about to die soon (from the sound of the starting motor on Monday morning). My dad bought a new battery and keep in the booth for me (a 3K because my dad said it is cheaper than Boliden), together with #10 spanner. If it fail at home, my father will replace it. If it fail in the office, I will just get a work friend to help me. I know how to change the battery, but it is quite heavy to lift. We also have a cheap 200 baht jump wire in all our cars hidden under the spare tires. My father often taught us how to jump start and also change a flat tire.

PS. My dad usually buy battery from spare-part shop that also sell battery, fill the acid, and charge for you too. They are cheaper than normal battery shop.

Edited by chantorn

Just my family experience. We have 5 cars altogether, so we change quite a bit of batteries. Our GS, 3K, yuasa usually last 2 years almost on the dot. I have a Boliden that is 2.8 years now (I think it is just random luck that this battery last longer), and about to die soon (from the sound of the starting motor on Monday morning). My dad bought a new battery and keep in the booth for me (a 3K because my dad said it is cheaper than Boliden), together with #10 spanner. If it fail at home, my father will replace it. If it fail in the office, I will just get a work friend to help me. I know how to change the battery, but it is quite heavy to lift. We also have a cheap 200 baht jump wire in all our cars hidden under the spare tires. My father often taught us how to jump start and also change a flat tire.

PS. My dad usually buy battery from spare-part shop that also sell battery, fill the acid, and charge for you too. They are cheaper than normal battery shop.

Are you for real???. Very informative. Perhaps your Pa can tell us how to mow a Thai lawn, or to shampoo a dog who has been out in the rice paddy.

The word is 'tyre' but never mind this forum is full of new worlders. :ph34r:

Want a guaranteed source of distilled water for your battery ?? Urine. Readily available, pure, minimal contaminates, free. The answer was in the palm of your hand all along.

Can you please provide more info in regards to how urine is;

1] pure, &

2] minimal contaminates.

It is sterile but I highly doubt free of contaminants since that's primarily what it is made up of from the human body..

Are you for real???. Very informative. Perhaps your Pa can tell us how to mow a Thai lawn, or to shampoo a dog who has been out in the rice paddy.

What a wise a_ _ you are, but maybe not so as it's not "tyre", he/she spelled it correctly, both spellings are acceptable in spite of this not being spelling class and not everyone here is a native English speaker obviously based on your ill advised attempted correction. :whistling: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Sorry Warpy...don't know of any places in Thailand to buy such a thing but I'm sure they exist here.

Further, deionised water uses a cheaper (& quicker) method of water purification compared to distillation. Distilled water is the best to use for batteries. Even better if it is double distilled. Deionising chemicals would be useless if used in water that is going to be distilled.

More suggestions:

1] Try to avoid using 'maintenance free' wet cells (in Thailand). All wet cells lose electrolyte, 'maintenance free' or not. The only difference is that with a 'normal' battery, you can top up the electrolyte, which can't easily be done with a maintenance free battery. Also, if you have a 'normal' battery, you can check the 'Specific Gravity' with a hydrometer, which can tell you a great deal about the battery.

2] If you use a hydrometer, it should ideally read about 1.25 for a fully charged new battery (maybe a bit higher if the ambient is above 20 degrees Celsius). If the reading is lower, more acid (36% sulfuric acid) is required. If the reading is higher, more distilled water is required.

3] It's a good idea to check your battery with a hydrometer about once a month.

4] Higher 'constant' ambient temperatures (e.g. Thailand) will reduce battery life.

Wet cell 'secondary' batteries are quite complex & their life is affected by many things.

sound advice mate..you might add ....keep the terminals ( Vaselined is good) and the battery itself clean..

.. one should be able to buy hydrometer in any "farming supply" type hardware store (you know the ones.. they sell rubber cups, lead pellets for homemade guns plus diapers, brooms and potato chips..lol)..a hydrometer is often used to test SG and hence concentration of latex...

currently have a Thai battery ( can't remember manufacturer) in my old truck which is maintained conscientiously on a "whenever I think about it" basis...lol ..use rainwater to top up..its three years+ old and still going strong.....Now of course I will go out and try to start the truck and there will be the dreaded "click!" ....no I don't have a hydrometer.

Had many so called "maintenance free" batteries ( deep cycle marine for "house" and truck type starter batteries) over the years in yachts.. .mostly only lasted about 2.5 years...never used gel type ..too expensive for little advantage and about the same life cycle per those that have tried 'em.

What a wise a_ _ you are, but maybe not so as it's not "tyre", he/she spelled it correctly, both spellings are acceptable in spite of this not being spelling class and not everyone here is a native English speaker obviously based on your ill advised attempted correction. :whistling: ..

Tyre / tire, I am told they are both acceptable. My spell checker in US English (or should I call it US American, hahaha). We have no lawn in our Bangkok place, no garden either. My grandma use goats to take care of the grass, but that is upcountry. The only pet we have are 2 terrains as pet. Anyway, my dad is a an Engineer working for EGAT. He used to claimb electric pole when you have a blackout. Fortunately those are old days, these day he just sits in the office ordering young men to go to do the pole dance instead. His EGAT office next to Klong Toey MRT was burned down by you know who. http://www.flickr.com/photos/iprahin/4623461879/

Anyway, I don't know much car mechanic. But we were taught the very basic to get the car going during emergency. Especially changing type and jump start a car. Believe it or not, I know how to push start a manual car. But with me inside, and you pushing outside. Push faster, faster faster ....