The Big Move...

I will be going with my girlfriend when she moves back to Thailand after her stint as an international student here in the US. My plan is to travel at the end of September with a double-entry tourist visa valid for six months. I spent a month in Bangkok with her two years ago and am very excited to make the move.

I have read through the forum and have a couple technical questions and also some request for advice (and maybe reassurance).

- I understand that I will have 60 days per entry, plus a reasonably easy 30 day extension on each. Will I still need to be within the visa's valid period of 6 months in order to receive the second extension (I know the visa will still have to be valid to receive my second entry).

- Does the Thai government try to make it difficult to obtain a work visa if they see that stay was previously had with a tourist visa? Can I expect any more hassle than needing to use a consulate out of state to obtain my work visa?

- I have a bachelors in economics from a top-tier school and five years of work experience, including one year in what I think is a very attractive position. I feel like I should be a good candidate to find employment in Thailand. What is the current expat job market like in Bangkok? My girlfriend and some of my Thai friends are telling me that employers in Thailand are very age-biased. Can I expect much trouble finding a position in Thailand, at 23? I don't have delusions of grand sums--I am hoping for 40,000/mo, but will accept less as I am very confident that I will be able to quickly parlay anything entry-level into something better.

- What is the best place for a foreigner to look for job opportunities? A website? Newspaper classifieds? Her parents and some of my friends and their relatives are trying to pull strings for me, so I may be lucky enough to have something lined up before my move, but I don't want to rest my laurels on that.

- Am I getting into a hot mess? Thailand seems like a country that really wants to make it tough for foreigners. I know it's not a far cry from many European countries, but as an American, it makes me really nervous. I am very much committed to going, but some confident words would be appreciated :D

Before you suggest I should just marry the girl, that is definitely the plan, but now isn't the time. I want to do it right and be able to support us from the get-go, and that's where the need for a Thai job comes in.

I know there's a lot up there but I would very much appreciate your answers and feedback!

P.S., do you think 100,000 baht would be enough to live on for a while, if I'm not paying rent? Should I put in lots of OT to bring it up higher? (I am setting aside other money to keep in the US for 6 months of my damned student loans...) Her family is going to help with the baht requirements for any other visa types when that time comes.

Entry before visa expires - 30 day extension can be later.

No problem change from tourist to non immigrant B visa.

Finding any job other than teaching in English is likely to be a problem. Economic field is not likely to be in need of non-Thai without special experience. Were you working at the same time you were obtaining the BA - as age 23 does not seem to allow five years of work experience otherwise.

Yes, I worked while in school. That included a non-practical supervisory position at a major arts venue and work writing standards while also conducting qc inspections on manufactured goods. My position now is with a corporate real estate firm, running day to day operations. It's all quite a swath that I hope I can hedge into something. Remember econ is a versatile degree and, at least in the US, is sought as a general degree for many positions that don't carry "economics" titles. I hope the same is true in BKK...

Is there any job sector that I should focus on? My friends tell me I should try advertising. I have a lot of marketing experience now (which supposedly they don't really care about, anyway), but I hear it's a pretty tough bag where they like to keep you quite entry-level as long as possible. Of course, the trick is finding someone to sponsor a work permit for me.

My grades, standardized testing scores, and, of course, my nationality, I am assured, will land me in a position teaching english pretty easily. I am just hoping to do something more practical...

You need to listen to lopburi3. He is correct and your chance of a job at your age and experience is not good unless you go the English teacher route. As for only having 100,000 baht you are going to have a BIG problem.

For any decently paid job you'd need to have good Thai language skills and some very special experience/qualification (or business connections here)that Thais don't have. Any many jobs are closed to foreigners.

OP, if my account over here ever got down to 100,000 baht, I would have already found a job, left this country and gone back to work. 100,00 isn't anywhere near enough. 100,000 in your account over here is the last state of emergency before you're so busted you can't afford to leave. Small scrapes over here can cost you 50,000 baht in a hurry. Living decently costs. You will spend money on extended family as well, whether her family is wealthy or not. There are certain things you will be expected to take care of. I know you're in a hurry but you are trying to get here way too soon.

There is a long list of jobs that you cannot hold here. Research that and know the facts before you come here. Teaching is probably about the only thing you may have a chance at. And lots of teachers get over here and start work and are miserable and begin to seek a new employer. Read up on the teaching threads. LOTS of stories of discontent and conflict with employers or former employers.

IF you were to get a job here, don't even think about when the first or only promotion will be. It probably won't happen at all, no matter how good you are. That is just the way it is here.

Age discrimination in the workplace here- Yes. They usually want very young employees and often they insist on a young female. Just do a simple online check of the jobs posted here and it will be staring you in the face. 23 isn't too old for most jobs. But most jobs are jobs you cannot hold because of the laws.

My advice- Do one of two things. Stay where you are, save your money for years and then come here years down the road when you have enough money to stay. OR, quit your job, come here on a round trip ticket and live for a couple of months on your 100,000, learn all you can, find out a lot of stuff the hard way and then go back to the home country and try to get another job that will allow you to save for the future and to pay off those student loans.

Good luck.

kandahar

But, did you study Thai economics? Unlike any system in the world

That's a great one! :lol:

I have friends who do work over here. Most are in the oil biz (and work out of country), a few in real estate (making nothing right now), a few self employed (skirting the law for sure), quite a few teaching (making like 30-50kB/month), and several who work here as their companies sent them on an expat package (the lucky few!). For you, it will be teaching for sure. To get a really good teaching job you need a degree in education...a masters being the best.

My good friend has a degree in computer science. Good program manager. Got a job doing that for insane hours every week and little pay. He lasted 6 months, quit, went back to the UK and is making multiples of what he was making over here...took his TG with him also...

Research this site for more comments on getting work here. It is very, very, very tough....unless you teach...

100,000B is enough to last a short while. As mentioned above, make sure you have enough cash to get home just in case. There was a thread a few weeks ago about a guy who had no money to get home...