Guard Dogs

Nip

and I would get up and back him up with some pepperspray and kicks to the head.

Jeez........yet another internet tough guy.

They seem to be infesting the Phuket sub-forum these days.

Bet you own a couple of Tiger Muay Thai T-shirts, don't you?

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about :lol:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok if we're talking high-level law enforcement/security work I have no idea. You may be right. I was primarily thinking about regular home security needs. Those of course are completely different things. But as you say the lines means quite a lot too. I will get my dobie pup from a breeder in Bangkok in around a week. He has dobermans from all the best lines in Europe, and seems to be really good at what he does. It's not cheap though. But who wants to be a cheap ass when it comes to dogs? Not me that's for sure jap.gif

Well Dobes are fine in general. I look at the Dog magazines here and the breeders are real serious and usually very cashed up. However, with pure bred dogs you have to be a bit careful as some breeds get over bred leeading to genetic faults. The German Dobes I've seen in Thailand look awesome, big strong looking beasts because the Germans are fanatics about the quality of their dogs and have strict breeding rules and standards.

Any dog needs the right owner.. And almost any dog can be properly socialized and trained. Plus if a dog bites someone whose come onto my property without permission, I am not sure I would see that as a problem.

The only dogs I have had a hard time with feeling comfortable with were Staffies / English bull terriers and some American pitbull males.. Seen other American pitbulls that were fine, and spent time with a female that seemed very safe, but the males seemed to have an unpredictable streak that worried me.

Just read this (but haven't read the rest of the thread yet).

We had a staffie when I was a kid - he was the gentlest, most intelligent dog I've ever known. But, admittedly could not be trusted around other dogs unless my dad was around - the pack leader.....

With people - he was the best dog on the earth! And, he was a pedigree - a true staffie. They are wonderful dogs with people and kids, they just don't get on well with other dogs....

More likely owns a dreaded BB gun as per other poster..keyboard warriors really need to come out to play nowand again in the real world me thinks..:whistling:

HAHAHA good post.....bet you wouldnt be annoying some of the guys Ive seen with the Tiger Muay Thai T-shirts....or any Muay Thai T-shirts for that matter...who are the keyboard warriors now??

Just read this (but haven't read the rest of the thread yet).

We had a staffie when I was a kid - he was the gentlest, most intelligent dog I've ever known. But, admittedly could not be trusted around other dogs unless my dad was around - the pack leader.....

With people - he was the best dog on the earth! And, he was a pedigree - a true staffie. They are wonderful dogs with people and kids, they just don't get on well with other dogs....

They was partially bred for dog fights in the past, so you can't really blame them they are not good with other dogs. I would love to have one myself, but I couldn't find a breeder of them I felt I could trust here in Thailand, and it seems like amstaff is illegal to import, so getting it from a breeder in Europe was not an option mad.gif

because the Germans are fanatics about the quality of their dogs and have strict breeding rules and standards.

And also the german standard for the dobermann dictates a more protective/aggresive dog, unlike the american doberman which promotes a softer behaviour. So it's nice with all the german lines here in Thailand clap2.gif

>>Just hurl the meat over the wall.

The dog will find it and won't know how it got there.

Quickly bleed it out internally.

What about a tennis ball filled with anti freeze?

Can we train the dog not to fetch a ball

You can train a dog not to eat any food except from certain people.

Wouldn't a dog smell this nasty anti freeze in the ball? Do dogs chew through balls and inhale/drink antifreeze?

Edited by steelepulse

Doberman- Very smart, maybe too smart as they are hard to train. Very flighty and highly strung. We never used them as we considered them unreliable.

Strange. One of the advantages which always are highlighted about the Doberman is that they are very intelligent and easily trained.

I had read they will train but can be stubborn.. Needs work rather than easy to train.

I am not so biased for a guard dog as other posters here.. I just want a stable healthy dog that will also be protective of his home turf and bark warning, not necessarily attack anyone. As few drawbacks over smell, socializing, etc as a balance.

Edited by LivinLOS

I never liked rotties until I met some well trained rotties joining us training avalanche rescue. They where awesome, extremely goal/work oriented, nothing could stop them from doing their job. This was 25 years ago, and due to the lack of fuhr, unablity to live outdoor in snow, I didnt want rotties at that time. Moving to thailand 8 years ago, it was time. A firm and kind leader, and you have the most fantastic dog. Loyal, playful, to be trusted with kids and shi tsus, a bit lazy when "job" is done but that suits most families perfectly. As guard dog, they dont allert when not needed, IOW intellegent analyses on when to alert, so totally quiet most nights. Rotties behavior in any situation is very easy to predict, and thus can be interfered. Not very interested in other dogs, and when a group of (street) dogs want to attack, they are ignored until they actually attack. then rottie picks the leader, shake him a bit, remain standing over him until totally quiet and not moving and walks happily away

My rotties are allowed to bite intruders, and is allowed to protect his toys from strangers, IOW bite. Unthinkable for a dog in public areas without a leash in my homecountry, but needed in a society with people hitting dogs

agree on Dobermans, to much smart on their own and generaly flighty. hard to predict, and hard to get a job done, and not really fearless as a rottweiler is

agree on pit bulls and the identical/similar breeds, extreme bite but so has a crocodile, and useless as working/guard dogs and rather stupid

rottweilers do need a firm, experienced and kind leader, and most horror stories about rottweilers are dogs without training or lack of leadership. On the other hand, I leave my dogs home with my maid on occasions for a week or so, she was scrared to sh-t when she started here 1,5 years ago, still walks in circles around dog, but works fine even in public areas

post-81971-0-07150000-1289098836_thumb.j

Have I understood this correctly? You are saying you allow your Rotweiller off the leash and to bite if anyone touches Its toys in public places? If so that is totally Irresponsible dog ownership, and If not and I've read this wrong I apologise.

I am not so biased for a guard dog as other posters here.. I just want a stable healthy dog that will also be protective of his home turf and bark warning, not necessarily attack anyone. As few drawbacks over smell, socializing, etc as a balance.

Just my unprofessional opinion, but I believe that the breed of dog is much less important than the care/training of the particular dog. For a guard dog though, you probably want one of the larger, more powerful breeds. My own preference from personal experience would be a German Shepherd Dog, excellent all-around working dogs.

This is not necessarily directed at the OP, but to anyone considering purchasing a powerful dog (like a shepherd, rottweiler, doberman, etc) - make sure you know how to handle a dog well before you bring one into your home. No dog, no matter what the breed is guaranteed to be a loyal guard dog, they need to be well trained. If you don't have the time or experience to properly train, socialize, and exercise your dog, you're probably better off without one.

Worked with a Shepherd rescue for a while. I've seen a lot of really fantastic dogs who's owners just didn't have the discipline or the time to devote to their dogs, and ended up with all kinds of problems, ranging from simple inconvenience to downright fear of their own dogs. So please consider well before you buy.

Have I understood this correctly? You are saying you allow your Rotweiller off the leash and to bite if anyone touches Its toys in public places? If so that is totally Irresponsible dog ownership, and If not and I've read this wrong I apologise.

yes, my dog is allowed to bite non family members trying to take anything out of his mouth, and he walks around in public areas without a leash. why would anyone try to take something out of a rottweilers mouth and expect not to be bitten?

yes, my dog is allowed to bite non family members trying to take anything out of his mouth, and he walks around in public areas without a leash. why would anyone try to take something out of a rottweilers mouth and expect not to be bitten?

Im sure most people wouldn't try, but what about kids who don't know any better? Should they just be mauled for their innocence? Plus the fact if you walk him off the leash people are much more likely to think he's not an aggressive dog and is more approachable. No dogs should be allowed to bite people unless its self defence or protecting their homes or owners. Especially ones that can inflict a serious amount of damage eg. Rotties! With training like that its no wonder these dogs get a bad reputation.

How about a trusty Thai Ridgeback ?

post-93587-0-00658800-1289287942_thumb.j

I have one of those. They're a wonderful breed. Ma Thai. There known here as 'the dog that stays by the cart'. Meaning loyal. They're very intelligent and make a ferocious growl (and bite, but only if provoked).

Someone told me Crufts were looking to have the breed recognised. More people here should think about owning this local breed rather than importing Dobermans, Pitbulls, Whippets etc.

I never liked rotties until I met some well trained rotties joining us training avalanche rescue. They where awesome, extremely goal/work oriented, nothing could stop them from doing their job. This was 25 years ago, and due to the lack of fuhr, unablity to live outdoor in snow, I didnt want rotties at that time. Moving to thailand 8 years ago, it was time. A firm and kind leader, and you have the most fantastic dog. Loyal, playful, to be trusted with kids and shi tsus, a bit lazy when "job" is done but that suits most families perfectly. As guard dog, they dont allert when not needed, IOW intellegent analyses on when to alert, so totally quiet most nights. Rotties behavior in any situation is very easy to predict, and thus can be interfered. Not very interested in other dogs, and when a group of (street) dogs want to attack, they are ignored until they actually attack. then rottie picks the leader, shake him a bit, remain standing over him until totally quiet and not moving and walks happily away

My rotties are allowed to bite intruders, and is allowed to protect his toys from strangers, IOW bite. Unthinkable for a dog in public areas without a leash in my homecountry, but needed in a society with people hitting dogs

agree on Dobermans, to much smart on their own and generaly flighty. hard to predict, and hard to get a job done, and not really fearless as a rottweiler is

agree on pit bulls and the identical/similar breeds, extreme bite but so has a crocodile, and useless as working/guard dogs and rather stupid

rottweilers do need a firm, experienced and kind leader, and most horror stories about rottweilers are dogs without training or lack of leadership. On the other hand, I leave my dogs home with my maid on occasions for a week or so, she was scrared to sh-t when she started here 1,5 years ago, still walks in circles around dog, but works fine even in public areas

post-81971-0-07150000-1289098836_thumb.j

Reminds me of something that happened in the UK.

A neighbour a couple of doors down bred Rotties. I was working in the garden one day when my dog started barking aggressively, I ignored him as he was like that, and generally dog-aggressive.

Eventually I got annoyed and turned round to tell him off, only to see (to my horror), four full-grown rotties in my garden and one of them had my dog pinned on his back (he was still barking madly)!

As you can imagine, I RAN to save my dog, but he was fine and as soon as I approached the rotties they happily trotted back to their own garden.

Haven't been worried about rotties since - they could easily have killed my (aggressive) dog, but just kept him pinned down.

I have one of those. They're a wonderful breed. Ma Thai. There known here as 'the dog that stays by the cart'. Meaning loyal. They're very intelligent and make a ferocious growl (and bite, but only if provoked).

Someone told me Crufts were looking to have the breed recognised. More people here should think about owning this local breed rather than importing Dobermans, Pitbulls, Whippets etc.

I'm not convinced that those three breeds should be mentioned in the same breath on a thread about guard dogs :lol:!

Dobermans and Pitbulls - OK. But whippets?? They are chosen for entirely different reasons....

post-81971-0-77828900-1289280405_thumb.j

please dont take my ball out of my mouth

if I want you to play with my ball I drop it myself

or I drop it when my master tells me to drop

my job is to take care of this ball and my family. I do my job :)

so if a kid wants to play with the ball, after having spotted your dog walking around freely, he gets bitten?

I really like this breed.. Its the right combination on many levels except.. I have read they are not long domesticated as a breed and hence not perhaps so pettable.. My wife gets a say in this and she wants a a dog that likes a lot of contact.

But its on my shortlist, ideal size, not long haired, etc etc.

I'd seriously consider a Ma Thai, as you say, they are short haired and also acclimatised to Thai weather.

Plus they can eat anything and are great hunters of rats and snakes, very loyal and obedient when they know you're the Alpha male.

Edited by sillyman99

That is by far the worse post I have ever read on this forum, and that is saying a lot, what with all the trolling we get. You are a well known normal poster, which is what makes what you have said so bad. Your dog should NOT be allowed of a lead. If that dog came within 10 feet of my kids in a public place me and you would fall out big time. After my kids had been put in the car your dogs protective skills would be put to test. I don't care if people want to label me a keyboard warrior, that as far as I'm concerned is a disgusting, irresponsible attitude to have, and it wouldn't be at the expense of me or my family. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Are you so naive, that you think your dog is so smart, that he will never make a mistake and bite someone who isn't touching his toys? Not to mention, as people have said, kids who don't know any better. Grow up mate.

That is by far the worse post I have ever read on this forum, and that is saying a lot, what with all the trolling we get. You are a well known normal poster, which is what makes what you have said so bad. Your dog should NOT be allowed of a lead. If that dog came within 10 feet of my kids in a public place me and you would fall out big time. After my kids had been put in the car your dogs protective skills would be put to test. I don't care if people want to label me a keyboard warrior, that as far as I'm concerned is a disgusting, irresponsible attitude to have, and it wouldn't be at the expense of me or my family. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Are you so naive, that you think your dog is so smart, that he will never make a mistake and bite someone who isn't touching his toys? Not to mention, as people have said, kids who don't know any better. Grow up mate.

do you teach your kids to approach all street dogs too?

my kids where brought up with working dogs, coming home from the clinique with new born we laid them down on the floor for dogs to bond with them. My kids would never appoach a dog in public areas

my dog is in public areas 5-12 hours a day without a leash. so are all street dogs and most dogs with an owner including at least 5 more rottweilers here in Kata. TiT

as opposit to most other dog owners, I actually carry a leash walking the beach, and use it when approaching kids. dog loves to play with kids, but some are frightened, so we do a soft start for the kids who want to play

attacking a rottweiler being close to his owner, walking with a leash or not, would not be wise nomatter how tough you are behind the keyboard

I'm a firm believer of never ever leaving children alone with a dog. A dog is used to looking up at adults and his master. Small children are on the same eye level as dogs and the dog will often see the child like another dog and treat it accordingly. If an adult is present they will behave as normal. Many dog attacks on children happen when no adult is around.

I always tell people this. If you treat a dog like a human, he will treat you as a dog. You are pack leader and he obeys you, not the other way around.

I'm a firm believer of never ever leaving children alone with a dog. A dog is used to looking up at adults and his master. Small children are on the same eye level as dogs and the dog will often see the child like another dog and treat it accordingly. If an adult is present they will behave as normal. Many dog attacks on children happen when no adult is around.

I always tell people this. If you treat a dog like a human, he will treat you as a dog. You are pack leader and he obeys you, not the other way around.

Same goes for male kids..

Which is why over the last 10years, kids have been horrible. They're now young adults with rights at age 2

do you teach your kids to approach all street dogs too?

my kids where brought up with working dogs, coming home from the clinique with new born we laid them down on the floor for dogs to bond with them. My kids would never appoach a dog in public areas

my dog is in public areas 5-12 hours a day without a leash. so are all street dogs and most dogs with an owner including at least 5 more rottweilers here in Kata. TiT

as opposit to most other dog owners, I actually carry a leash walking the beach, and use it when approaching kids. dog loves to play with kids, but some are frightened, so we do a soft start for the kids who want to play

attacking a rottweiler being close to his owner, walking with a leash or not, would not be wise nomatter how tough you are behind the keyboard

The key word here is PUBLIC. They are public spaces you are talking about. I couldn't give a monkeys if your kids are trained lion tamers, it makes no odds to me. There is probably a 90% chance (Iknow you would like to believe it is 100) that your dog will never bite you or your kids. That percentage is considerably lower when it comes to strangers, people like me and my kids. The fact that you think it's OK to even take a 1% chance of my kids getting bitten is unnaceptable to me. It's the fact that owners of dogs known to have vicious tendencies, can not except that there is the slightest of chances that their dog will behave like the basic animal it is, and bite somebody unprovoked, shows a huge naivity and lack of intelligence. There have been hundreds of mauled and killed kids to prove my point. But your little cuddles could never do that could they. Yeh right.