Online Gaming.

dublish

Hope you can help,

Looking to take up online gaming and need some advice, have the True adsl 1mb package (As you all know its brutal, great for the first month and then down hill from there) . Never played online before and i'd like to try, any pointers. Games like call of duty etc, is it worth trying to play online with the True package, or will it be frustrating from the start, can you play international or just within thailand, got no clue about this, any suggestions would be appreciated. If any one has any ideas on how to speed up the adsl connection and don't want to share this on the forum, please drop me a PM. Seen a few ideas on the forum, but totally lost me, still a noob. Thanks again,

Dublish.

Hope you can help,

Looking to take up online gaming and need some advice, have the True adsl 1mb package (As you all know its brutal, great for the first month and then down hill from there) . Never played online before and i'd like to try, any pointers. Games like call of duty etc, is it worth trying to play online with the True package, or will it be frustrating from the start, can you play international or just within thailand,  got no clue about this, any suggestions would be appreciated. If any one has any ideas on how to speed up the adsl connection and don't want to share this on the forum, please drop me a PM. Seen a few ideas on the forum, but totally lost me, still a noob. Thanks again,

Dublish.

You can play international and also in Thailand, it depends on ur type of multiplay (LAN or server). Best online games that i wud recommend u r: Counter-strike : Source, Half-life 2, Star Wars: Battlefront, Battlfield 2, Battlefield Vietnam, Serious Sam, Unreal Tournament 2004,etc. You just have to go to multi-player and join a server of the same version of ur game with anyone. If u wanna play with friends then do a LAN party (must have LAN). You can also create server and let ur friends join them. Multi Theft Auto (a mod that wud enable mutiplay) for GTA: San Andreas is also gonna release! Have a great game! :o

Well, A lot depends on the TYPE of online games you want to try. Playing some of the First person shooters online can be a challenge because of the LAG in the game due to slow international speeds.

If you are wanting to try a MMORG (Massive Multi player Online Roleplaying Game) it does seem to work ok most of the time.

I play a free one called Anarchy online. Not to bad a game for free.

Greg

Hope you can help,

Looking to take up online gaming and need some advice, have the True adsl 1mb package (As you all know its brutal, great for the first month and then down hill from there) . Never played online before and i'd like to try, any pointers. Games like call of duty etc, is it worth trying to play online with the True package, or will it be frustrating from the start, can you play international or just within thailand,  got no clue about this, any suggestions would be appreciated. If any one has any ideas on how to speed up the adsl connection and don't want to share this on the forum, please drop me a PM. Seen a few ideas on the forum, but totally lost me, still a noob. Thanks again,

Dublish.

I don't play so much but if i play then, normally, it's online. I really like ID software games, Quake III: Arena, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. The later is free and only has multiplayer option. You can download it from many websites and it's size is around 275MB plus some patches (few MB). I don't have information about thai servers but from the games i just said, i think there's none. There are a lot of LAN shops but i don't know so much about game clans in thailand or even servers for rent, for clan training. It's a market in the west but here i really do not know.

It's rather easy to setup your own server and play with some friends over a LAN or thru internet. However, if the sites are outside thailand you can experience what it's normally called LAG. Lagging will cause the game to glitch or lack smoothness which is not good when playing FPS games or even other kind of games.

Most online games are very dependent upon ping times, which is the time it takes for information to travel between you and the server. Reasonable ping times for online gameplay are less than 100ms (milliseconds). You can get this with True if the server is located within Thailand (<50ms) or within the Asian area (Korea, Japan, S'pore, etc). Servers within the US and UK generally have pings of 300ms or more (using True), so your gaming experience will not be optimal.

Most decentralized online games (CS, BF, etc) have server browsers which can list all available servers along with their pings, and you'll see that servers located nearby will have lower pings. Centralized MMORPGs have servers in various countries, some (Ragnarok, Lineage II, etc.) have servers in Thailand, while others (World of Warcraft, Everquest, etc) do not.

Lots of good info posted already.

I'll just post my experience with world of warcraft. The latency used to be 400-600 most of the time which, while not optimal, still allowed you to play the game without many problems. This sort of game can be played without the instant speed you might need from a first-person shooter.

However, for the past 3-4 weeks, my connection has been severely degraded with stallouts occuring multiple times a fight, lag of 1000+ constantly, etc. It's to the point that I am finding playing the game to be more frustrating than fun.

This is with the True home package.

hey all...

firstly the only online game i play is monopoly.....with other hubbers in the expat hub...that too very rarely...

used to play CS and Q3 on lan in a cyber cafe(20 to 30 hours a week) in my college days....

now im interested in setting up paid gaming servers inside se asia(ping from true is 60 to 70ms) to serve the region.

the motive is to make money of it....any pointers?

hey all...

firstly the only online game i play is monopoly.....with other hubbers in the expat hub...that too very rarely...

used to play CS and Q3 on lan in a cyber cafe(20 to 30 hours a week) in my college days....

now im interested in setting up paid gaming servers inside se asia(ping from true is 60 to 70ms) to serve the region.

Check http://www.porar.com/linuxserver.aspx

They have nice service for what I have experienced and the latency isnt too bad

from bangkok (10-12ms). You could start with your own connection upgrading to

the max Upload Speed availabe to see if it catchs up. You could also try some

partnership with some gameseller (CNet / Zest) to give you some help, they would

certainly sell more game if the online experience would be far better than what it

is now.

Good Idea and good luck man.

Lots of good info posted already.

I'll just post my experience with world of warcraft.  The latency used to be 400-600 most of the time which, while not optimal, still allowed you to play the game without many problems.  This sort of game can be played without the instant speed you might need from a first-person shooter.

However, for the past 3-4 weeks, my connection has been severely degraded with stallouts occuring multiple times a fight, lag of 1000+ constantly, etc.  It's to the point that I am finding playing the game to be more frustrating than fun.

This is with the True home package.

Ya it sucks :o seems both WoW has troubles and true ... The packet loss is quite high

around 13%-20% so bad because the latency to us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com isnt

bad at all. If only taiwan server were in english ... http://www.wowtaiwan.com.tw/ the

speed there is excellent (70-90ms). Maybe there is some non official private server

around here ? http://www.wowstatus.net/

hey all...

partnership with some gameseller (CNet / Zest) to give you some help, they would

certainly sell more game if the online experience would be far better than what it

is now.

tx a lot for the pointers...

maybe im straying a lil off topic here....

the main thing is wether to focus on only thailand or to focus on the region....

if i host in thailand, the international connectivity sucks....only few countries have fast access to thailand...

is online gaming a very big thing here?

is it possible to charge ppl for joining to games hosted on my server?

im sure ppl wouldnt mind paying some subscription fee for a gr8 gaming experience.

hey all...

is now.

tx a lot for the pointers...

maybe im straying a lil off topic here....

the main thing is wether to focus on only thailand or to focus on the region....

if i host in thailand, the international connectivity sucks....only few countries have fast access to thailand...

is online gaming a very big thing here?

is it possible to charge ppl for joining to games hosted on my server?

im sure ppl wouldnt mind paying some subscription fee for a gr8 gaming experience.

Online gaming here is quite big especially MMPORG (Ragnarok / Lineage2). You can

charge people monthly and protect your gameroom with a password changing it

every month. The connectivity with taiwan / singapour is quite good the other part

of the region start to be too slow to have good experience. People doesnt have much

money but you could steal client of internet shop that pay 20/30 baht per hour to

play. With a weekly fee of 100 baht maybe you can attract some client. The thing

is you ll need quite a lot of server, maybe 1 per 2 games. Try to attract client first

maybe with a free service and maybe a monthly reward to the best fragger ? A

free week / a free game ... Maybe try to contact the zest.co.th owner I ever exchanged

some mail with him and he seems to be a foreigner.

How forgot :D If you are very rich :D Buy a World of warcraft license and bring

a server here :o

Good luck

Edited by Deksan

How forgot :D If you are very rich :D Buy a World of warcraft license and bring

a server here :o

Good luck

im not too rich(depends on what is rich)....

any clues how many world of warcraft servers in thailand?

if i remember correctly ive seen ppl play this game in thailand.....any idea they play on the net or against other users in the same cafe?

how much is the license for?

i dun mind investing if profits can be seen....;-)

There are no World of Warcraft servers in Thailand (unfortunately) your looking at the US or Europe for the servers.

From Thailand the connections isnt great, the game itself (World of Warcraft) is playable, although PvP (Player vs Player) doesnt work too well if your having a bad connection day.

I play this game a lot, its the only game i'm playing o nthe PC at this time, i have a couple of friends who play (or used to play) so if your looking for a regular group or just someone whos playing in your timezone, then drop me a PM.

There are no World of Warcraft servers in Thailand (unfortunately) your looking at the US or Europe for the servers.

From Thailand the connections isnt great, the game itself (World of Warcraft) is playable, although PvP (Player vs Player) doesnt work too well if your having a bad connection day.

I play this game a lot, its the only game i'm playing o nthe PC at this time, i have a couple of friends who play (or used to play) so if your looking for a regular group or just someone whos playing in your timezone, then drop me a PM.

just some curiosity....how much would you be ready to pay(hourly/daily/weeky/monthly) if there were a world of warcraft server in thailand...?

Exactly the same i pay to play the US/Euro servers and not a penny more.

The cost to set up the infrastructure would probably be too high to set this up within Thailand, the fact the Thai governments would probably insist on it all being in Thai script before issueing any licenses would also put off people such as myself.

Theres talk of an Australian server, that would be better for us out here...

Alternativly... better routing of the internet traffic coming out of Thailand would make a HUGE difference (4 hops before i leave phuket and 100ms...)

just some curiosity....how much would you be ready to pay(hourly/daily/weeky/monthly) if there were a world of warcraft server in thailand...?

I was joking about the world of warcraft ... It s a blizzard game (www.blizzard.com)

that is edited by vivendi internationnal. The game licence must be around millions of

dollars. You ll need a big structure with customer support / translator / GM ... I guess

that with 100 millions of dollar you can start something. If it would come here i d

say around 10-12$ / month. It s a massive game so each server can host 5000 ppl

it s a great hit around the world that is so slow to come to south east asia...

Shivek, let's not go around trashing the games that other people play. You're going to get a lot of backlash from people who play MMORPGs, and there are QUITE a few. Also, plenty of Thais play online FPS's like CS... there are lots of Thai servers.

Shivek, let's not go around trashing the games that other people play.  You're going to get a lot of backlash from people who play MMORPGs, and there are QUITE a few.  Also, plenty of Thais play online FPS's like CS... there are lots of Thai servers.

agree.... one mans music is noise to another...

Yeah, on the topic of Wow, I came to Bangkok from L.A., California where i was enjoying my 40ms. Now between the hours of 3am-9am i can expect 3-400ms which isnt bad at all. After 9am though the latency deteriorates drastically every hour on the hour. I was in MC one day with a latency of 7k, i was listening on TS to what was really hapening and i was about 45 secs to 1 min. behind the grp on my scren, sux. they rolled for nightslayer pants and handed m out before i even saw them link em on the screen. that was my last MC run for sure. Anyways, the info posted has been somewhat helpful and i do hope they get some servers in Australia. If anyone has any news or idea's to improve Gameplay please feel free to message me as i just arive here in bangkok not too long ago. Gamerz are Gamerz, doesnt matter which one you play.....L8tr

Hey all, I came from the US to do an internship here and am a big fan of WOW used to play a ton everyday lol. Using Trues 1meg package I get pings of 5k-12k which makes the game unplayable. I find that other online games I try also have very high ping and the lag is just crappy. I was reading other forums and read that True has some sort of filter or something on international sites? Anyways have you guys gotten pings of 300-800 recently for wow? Those are still playable pings in my opinion, was just wondering maybe if it was just me with the pings of 8k + to the pacific servers in the US for WOW.

Hey all, I came from the US to do an internship here and am a big fan of WOW used to play a ton everyday lol. Using Trues 1meg package I get pings of 5k-12k which makes the game unplayable. I find that other online games I try also have very high ping and the lag is just crappy. I was reading other forums and read that True has some sort of filter or something on international sites? Anyways have you guys gotten pings of 300-800 recently for wow? Those are still playable pings in my opinion, was just wondering maybe if it was just me with the pings of 8k + to the pacific servers in the US for WOW.

It's not just you. As far as I know, everybody in Thailand playing WOW has had a horrible connection for about a month now. Before that, it was reasonable at 350-700 almost all the time with little/no packet loss. I'm looking forward to the day when it goes back to normal.

Sadly true :o Anybody tried contact True ?

Its not a "True" specific problem, i'm with Ji-Net

i think its the CAT(and the thai regulations) specific problem....

i still dont get it....why must all internet traffic go thru CAT?

why is direct paring not allowed here???

ping to US from malaysia/singapore is like 300 to 400 ms....

cann i have IP of some servers you are talkin abt?? 5000ms it way too high...

CAT, which stands for "Communications Authority of Thailand", is by law the regulator for all of Thailand's communications (as the name states). It also is a provider of a lot of communications (phone, sat, internet) so you can understand that a lot of regulations will be made in favor of CAT. Now that CAT's gone public (CAT Telecom), there's supposed to be a separate entity set up to regulate communcations, but that hasn't been done yet.

So, by law, CAT still controls communcations in Thailand. In the case of international internet links for ISPs, the law is that you can direct peer with international providers (with the permission of CAT) BUT you have to pay a hefty fee to CAT (for nearly nothing), which makes the link extremely expensive. The alternative is to buy bandwidth through CAT itself, which then connects to the international provider. CAT still gets a hefty dividend, but at least it's somewhat cheaper than a direct link. The downside is that CAT's infrastructure tends to have glitches from time to time, which makes any links through CAT unstable.

The CAT did it, not the butler.