Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

It would appear, that as of yesterday, TOT are blocking all torrent traffic in Thailand. I hope this isn't permanent, but if it's because their equipment has broken down, it's taking a long time to put right. A forum I use on another web site was gone crazy with posts from people all over Thailand, so it's not just local to my area..... START PHONING TOT AND COMPLAINING !!

geoffphuket

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

Edited by mattcodes
  • Like 2

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you are very much in the minority

Ends rant.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you are very much in the minority

I suspect I am. But the reality is it is just not financially sustainable to ISP in SE Asia to provide any reasonable level of performance to Torrents - especially those where most peers will exist outside of Thailand for the type of downloads most popular. The result is degraded performance for everyone and further congestion. The only reason I believe that traffic shaping or blocking has been weak with Torrents is the cost involved in deep packet inspection hardware especially when the client/trackers evolve the protocol relatively frequently (encryption etc...). Someone has to pay..

• Like 2

Two threads running, maybe a Moderator could merge or close one?

Same problem for me (TOT Bangkok), started yesterday. It seems to be a TOT issue. I can log in to trackers (public and private) on TRUE and CSLoxInfo, and on multiple PCs and download and upload torrents at wirespeed. I've tried several solutions (encryption, external DNS servers) without success.

Edited by lomatopo

I'm in Bangkok .... and on TOT

Thebox = not working

Uknova = working but slow

eztv = not working

I've only just joined TOT so will be pissed if they are blocking torrents, can't get True where I am

I use TheBox all the time and I'm well pissed off :annoyed:

Not working in Roi Et since late yesterday. Our TOT phone is also playing up. I can still upload at full speed though - and download through public trackers using peer exchange (not that I know what that means, but it appears in the list of trackers in uTorrent - all trackers timed out but a number of seeders identified through peer exchange.

On TOT, and no trackers connect since last night. On my way to the nearest True office to change providers. TOT has played too many games with me in the last Year. Enough is Enough. Even in case this turns out to be a glitch (I seriously doubt they have the expertise to block torrents, judging by the way their net and routes and all is configured), it is the one glitch too many I experienced with this Company.

Ends rant.

other countries do not seem to have this much of a problem, maybe if the big brothers in this country sorted their shit out then there would be more available bandwidth. EG. the 3G bullshit. if the country invested more in infrastructure development than taking the paid premiums to buy new houses and fast cars, then maybe, maybe there would be sufficient bandwidth for people who pay for their bandwidth to get all of it and to all the torrenting they want.

I know there s a bandwidth problem for Internet data outside of Thailand as the number of backbones is limited.

More, I know torrent uses an incredible amount of bandwidth for data mostly located outside of the country.

Most of the torrent users download illegal things. I regularly ask myself why some people have the need to crash the quality of service for all the other users when they are in a country where the whole DVD is at 100 Bt in the local market with perfect quality.

I pay my Internet connection like the others and I want to have my Skype strong enough to talk to people in Europe. I want also my websites to display faster on my browser, and youtube videos to be more reactive. I make normal usage of my connection and I expect it to work fine. But the quality of my connection is scrapped by torrent users who use all the bandwidth in my area, and reduce the amount of available bandwidth for data located outside of the country.

In these conditions, I don't want to be located to the same router or backbone than torrent/donkey users. This is the reason why I'm not with TT&T as you have to share your connection with your neighbors and you can't do anything anymore when they start they p2p.

I totally agree with TOT decision and I expect it to make my connection working better.

Torrent users have to pay more or to have their own network. Or to go to the shop to buy their dvd.

Edited by vediovis
  • Like 2

H2oDunc says he's no problem downloading loading from TOT, but hasn't replied to my question asking where he is :rolleyes:

FWIW, I am in BKK and on TOT. Am torrenting 3 files on one computer and 2 on a NAS. All are acting 'normal' in that the download speeds are all over the place. in these cases they are variously .7 KB/s, 145 KB/s, 102 KB/s on the one machine and at present 31 kB/s and 31.5 kB/s on the other. In the latter case the total download speed was just under 280 kB/s about 15 minutes ago.