Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

Any chance a moderator can delete the last three posts as they are all off-topic?

Also can the moderator go through this thread and delete all of the anti-p2p posts?

It might reduce this thread to a single page.

As for you guys - mattcodes, vediovis, etc - please start your own thread about the unfairness of p2p. Your posts are not on topic and not wanted here. They just clutter up the place.

@TAWP: Do not feed the trolls.

Edited by JetsetBkk

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance a moderator can delete the last three posts as they are all off-topic?

Also can the moderator go through this thread and delete all of the anti-p2p posts?

It might reduce this thread to a single page.

As for you guys - mattcodes, vediovis, etc - please start your own thread about the unfairness of p2p. Your posts are not on topic and not wanted here. They just clutter up the place.

@TAWP: Do not feed the trolls.

Thanks JetsetBkk - couldn't have put it better myself. Those that want an argument can do so by PM please!

Back on topic I've just started a new download from Demonoid ...and it's working! But everything else, my beloved "TheBox" and a few others are still dead.

Thanks to those posters trying to stay on topic. I'd really like to know if any service providers have held their hands up to having problems and how they're dealing with it, so if you can't answer the OPs post then post elsewhere please.

Edit: I started a Demonoid dl 1 hour ago, tracker status: working, downloading @ 125 kB/s with a 4mb connection. Cinemageddon (private) and some public trackers still down at this time.

Edited by flexxx

Thanks to those posters trying to stay on topic. I'd really like to know if any service providers have held their hands up to having problems and how they're dealing with it, so if you can't answer the OPs post then post elsewhere please.

My(Thai)wife has just given TOT some grief over the phone - They've said they'll have a technician look into it....Hmmmm we'll see

A VPN (Virtual Private Network) won't help.

Why do you say that? I have found it is the only way I get get access to the box and such since last 2/3 weeks. Mind you I am on True not TOT but situation is same. In meantime True is about to offer 6mbps to all their 4mbps subscribers according to their web site, presumably from all the bandwidth saved?

Back on topic I've just started a new download from Demonoid ...and it's working!

Tracker status please.

The torrent I've just completed from Demonoid showed 7 trackers, with just one working - genessis1337x.org/announce.

That came in at my full bandwidth :-)

A VPN (Virtual Private Network) won't help.

Why do you say that? I have found it is the only way I get get access to the box and such since last 2/3 weeks. Mind you I am on True not TOT but situation is same. In meantime True is about to offer 6mbps to all their 4mbps subscribers according to their web site, presumably from all the bandwidth saved?

Using a VPN with TheBox will get you banned: http://thebox.bz/announcement.php ;)

Back on topic I've just started a new download from Demonoid ...and it's working!

Tracker status please.

The torrent I've just completed from Demonoid showed 7 trackers, with just one working - genessis1337x.org/announce.

That came in at my full bandwidth :-)

UDP? HTTP?

Yeah, I can get a torrent from Demonoid, download speed is impressive but tracker status ofr http://infernoe.demonoid.com:3397/announce remains "connection closed by peer".

One answer may be that TOT implemented new DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) rules and whoever made the S/W change may have screwed up? (blocking tracker connects)

TRUE and CSLoxInfo still work fine for me.

Haven't been able to find anything on some of the Thai forums?

Edited by lomatopo

Quote from DannyS1951 on The Box support forum (13.32 Thai time):

Just called TOT but they say they are not blocking any torrents. Does seem that the problem is with TOT as a friend using 3BB is OK. Phone operator at TOT seemed very unhappy so I guess there have been a few rude English speaking farangs on the line. Left a number for the technicians to call me back on - hope it's not the cops who call:-)

I have just started a new download on UKNova. Tracker status on uTorrent is "working"! Download speed is good! Is there hope yet?

I tried a torrent from UKNova about 30 minutes ago and still got the same problem. PM me the link of the show you downloaded and I'll have a go ;)

It's only HTTP-based trackers that appear to being blocked. Switching to a client which supports UDP trackers will allow downloads - albeit slowly. As far as I know, uTorrent is the only client which supports the new UDP protocol. I'd recommend that people switch to uTorrent as a temporary fix. I'm getting UDP connectivity to istole.it, openbittorrent.com and publicbt.com amongst others. (Not all trackers support the UDP protocol.) DHT, LPD and PEX are also still working, but rather slowly. (And, of course, almost all private trackers don't allow the use of DHT, LPD and PEX.)

Incidentally, uTorrent can be run pretty successfully on Linux systems using Wine. That's how I use it, since I find it's faster than Transmission.

Edited by AyG

Those people who use ToT and say everything is working, please try to start a brand new torrent.

I have one torrent downloading from TheEmpire at about 375kB/s because I had already started it days ago, admittedly at a deliberately throttled down speed because my ratio wasn't up enough.

But now I've removed the throttle and all those peers that my client had remembered are now delivering to me.

So just because you are still downloading, it doesnt mean that you can access the tracker and doesn't mean "all is OK".

Those people who use ToT and say everything is working, please try to start a brand new torrent.

I have one torrent downloading from TheEmpire at about 375kB/s because I had already started it days ago, admittedly at a deliberately throttled down speed because my ratio wasn't up enough.

But now I've removed the throttle and all those peers that my client had remembered are now delivering to me.

So just because you are still downloading, it doesnt mean that you can access the tracker and doesn't mean "all is OK".

I am with TOT and have just started (about 2pm Thai time) two new downloads with UKNova - both going well at good speeds with blue download arrows in uTorrent. Each has onlyt the one tracker uknova.com:8000 which is "working"!

I am being totally blocked by Pattaya TOT for all torrents from a membership type torrent site I'd rather not mention, since last night. Other torrents going OK so far, but I think very slow. Something is going on with TOT, that's for sure.

Well TOT must be getting battered with calls because even their English speaking service is now claiming they don't speak English lol. Got my wife to talk to them and they said contact the local office. TOT Kantaralak say they will check the local server at the Ampher, but I know what the result will be: "everything's fine no problems our end"!!!

I am being totally blocked by Pattaya TOT for all torrents from a membership type torrent site I'd rather not mention, since last night. Other torrents going OK so far, but I think very slow. Something is going on with TOT, that's for sure.

Jing,i am in Pattaya and downloading a movie at present,getting over 320kbps from a 4mb speed,so no problems

Each has onlyt the one tracker uknova.com:8000 which is "working"!

UDP? HTTP?

How can I tell? uTorrent is using whatever its default setings are, and the tracker address starts with http if that's what you mean:

http://tracker.uknova.com:8000

The download has just completed and is now seeding, with a green arrow.

That would be http. Interesting development. I've just got one http tracker working on one torrent, but that same tracker is blocked on another torrent. Maybe TOT changed their system but it is taking a while to propagate?

Jing,i am in Pattaya and downloading a movie at present,getting over 320kbps from a 4mb speed,so no problems

Not surprised, I may be wrong about the slow speeds. I don't really pay much attention to that. I am right about the blocking though in some cases. I hope this is a glitch and not the beginning of the dark ages.

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

Pretty good troll, 8/10 I'd say.

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

and please tell me why voip, web mail, etc are more important then BitTorrent? Exactly, you can't because everyone puts different levels of importance on things.

Perhaps you think it's a good idea to go around and tell everyone else what is and isn't important. How about we start with your post which is a complete waste of bandwidth and not at all important. Why not practice what you preach; leave the internet so that you're not wasting bandwidth and our time with your nonsense.