Thaivisa To Issue Thailand Expat Gold Card

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These debit cards already exist as already mentioned elsewhere in this thread (and yeah; I read the whole thread :o , albeit spread over last few weeks). There are a few different types but one decide on the needed "credit" limit and will then have to pay similar amont into card as guarentee(that can not be touched) and/or the actual load up of money (that one CAN touch). No matter how; one basically fills up the card with new money. It can normally be filled up with bank wires/international checks only - not via another credit card.

An advantage not mentioned before (I think) is that if the card is stolen one can not get other accounts (in home country Etc.) abused - but the disadvantage is generally that your legal standing is weak, when it comes to getting your guarentee amount and/or deposited amount refunded in case the card was abused.

The companies that do these cards are typically located offshore in Panama Etc. so one should not expect the same safety net in case of theft/abuse. This is why it makes sense not to put too much money on the card, but that of course limits the usuage and increases fill-up wire costs.

Using a Thai bank will be very hard as most already have their own debit cards+stricter rules so my guess is that TV will go for an offshore card. That will hardly be abl to be in THB but could be in USD, Euro and Pounds - depending on the supplier.

As not in THB some will argue against the extra costs lost in the exchange, but as long as the build in exchange fee is at 0%(Nationwide card?) or 1%(Visa's standard rate - at least on my card) you still do fine compared to changing in cash. Naturally that will NOT be the case for people already PAID in THB.

All the extra perks sounds great - most vital for my consideration will be to

1. get decent interest on amount deposited,

2. 0-1% exchange fee from the original currency to THB when using card

Cheers!

I'm living in Thailand for 5 years now on a Non-Immigrant Spouse Visa and had no hassle with opening a bank account and getting bank cards (ATM and Visa Electron).

Maybe it's all in the atttude?

:o

BTW, open an account for your Thai wife/girlfriend too, and she benefits of free healt Insurance as stated before.

Including, a copy of the Bank card.

Cheers,

Coalminer

post-10254-1121919591_thumb.jpg

Coal miner; I also got my Bangkok Bank debit card(not visa electron) 2 years back without too much problems and witout any visa (besides stamp-in at airport) but the main problem for many here, is that the Thai visa electron debit cards generally can not be used on the internet.

Also; I have decided to upgrade to the b1st visa electron card so will file a report on how that goes when I have done that.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...ard/default.htm

Cheers!

I'm living in Thailand for 5 years now on a Non-Immigrant Spouse Visa and had no hassle with opening a bank account and getting bank cards (ATM and Visa Electron).

Maybe it's all in the atttude?

:o

BTW, open an account for your Thai wife/girlfriend too, and she benefits of free healt Insurance as stated before.

Including, a copy of the Bank card.

Cheers,

Coalminer

I'm in LOS on a NON-RE visa too,the problems with a Thai card(Be1st or all other kind)is that they aren't accepted outside Thailand(most of the time not even IN Thailand,or at an extra)you cannot buy on the Internet,other minor disadvantages.

I'm really interested in this project,hope to hear more soon. :o

Thanks Abdul,

I will upgrade anyway from my BKK bank card (only) to the B1st visa electron (if they let me) as the price difference is only 100B/year. I will then test out the card in shop/for cash Etc. and post a new thread with my results here. Many shops here wants to charge extra for using credit or debut cards - no matter WHERE they are from. CHeers!

Thanks Abdul,

I will upgrade anyway from my BKK bank card (only) to the B1st visa electron (if they let me) as the price difference is only 100B/year. I will then test out the card in shop/for cash Etc. and post a new thread with my results here. Many shops here wants to charge extra for using credit or debut cards - no matter WHERE they are from. CHeers!

Firefan,

I have the B1st electron visa myself and have had no problems using it anywhere as yet. I recently went to Aus and also used it there with no dramas either both in shop and for cash. It seems to be a pretty good card. :o

Thanks Jimmy! That is good to know - for $5/year it must be said to be pretty good value then! Did you notice any fees when/if pulling cash?

If you have it; what exchange rate did you get? (if you can give me a date with it and I can check out at www.oanda.com how much commission was build into the exchange rate). Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

Thanks Jimmy! That is good to know - for $5/year it must be said to be pretty good value then! Did you notice any fees when/if pulling cash?

If you have it; what exchange rate did you get? (if you can give me a date with it and I can check out at www.oanda.com how much commission was build into the exchange rate). Cheers!

Sorry Firefan,

I seem to have forgotten this thread my appologies. In answer to your question there is no info on the receipt except for the amount withdrawn (in Aus$), card number etc. Nothing on fees or exchange rate mate and as it doesn't give an account balance after withdrawal I can't even work it out for you that way either. When the statement comes in I'll let you know though. Cheers :o

Received by mail from a member who did not include his member name:

PS: The Gold Card is a great idea. How about arranging an agreement with one

of the auto services from Don Muang? Imagine walking past customs, waiving

the card and getting easy transportation into town.

If the card is only going to be a VISA Electron, then those are easy to get in Thailand. Just upgrade your current bank account you already have with any major Thai bank and the Electron is 100 Baht extra.

Pretty good if you're in Thailand but crap for buying on the net. Expats here really need a card, in whatever form it comes, with the power of a "proper" VISA card, which can be used internationally.

I believe it is going to be a proper "visa" card Backpack. I have a be1st visa electron that has been denied on many occasions throughout my travels.

Funnily enough, I am in LoS on a visa upon arrival only as my work means I spend two week at home evry 2 months, and yet I have full credit card issued to me from my own account at Siam City bank.

However, I do not want a full credit card, so I will go for this gold card and use it for my travels, top it up as needed over the net.

Fantastic.

Visa has their tier levels branded as "standard,gold,platinum,infinite"

is there not a restriction on branding it "gold"?

Or is it just gold colored and not gold tier ?

Would members have to reach the minimum financial requirements for gold status ? What about those with less means ?

It will be a VISA or MasterCard. They have prepaid card programmes as well.

Hi George,

Please consider a bank such as the Butterfield Bank in the Cayman Islands - http://www.bankofbutterfield.ky/. This would provide the inherent security and credibility that many of the members would desire along with other valuable advantages. While not in the same league, another thought would be Citibank as they have a presence in Thailand and worldwide. Personally, I would prefer to not have another US based account.

As you are well aware of, many of the requests mentioned here are in my opinion are unrealistic at this early stage. A card with some initial basic benifits tailored to the Expat, frequent visitor would be asset. Benifits could be expanded over time as trust and usage stats justified them.

I'm looking forward to what you will be offering with the initial issuance of this card.

Later...

Don

(Diago)

I have been after a debit card to use on the net for payment, I asked at Bangkok bank about it and got the reply that a debit card here could only be used within the country for payments and couldn't be used on the internet, I also got the same answer from Siam comm. Bank and Thai farmer!!!!!!!

Will this one work on the internet???????????

SWIFT, TT or ETA, or just send a US dollar check via registered mail.

SWIFT (US check or what ever of that kind) from Thailand! Then it may be too complicated, I think.

Why spend 30 min to SWIFT your money out of Thailand to a abroad debit card, when you can keep them in Thailand on you credit or debit card already?

I would want our Thai Gold card to have a number we can call when we have Visa (as in immagration) problems.

Now we are really stretching things! What do you imagine that a bank issued membership card to a message board will be able to do for you that your embassy can't? What kind of 'immagration' problems might you face?

Problems aquiring a drivers license? What are you on about? Just go there with your work permit and passport and a photo. Take a test and your done! No work permit? Sorry - no license. That's the law and no-one can help you circumvent the law - not even the mighty Thai Visa operation!

Also - if you are living here on a tourist visa then you won't be buying land or a house anytime soon!

Sorry to sound so negative - but some of these posts are hoping for impossibly unrealistic expectations that no amount of the best and most expense legal help can provide you with let alone a bank card!

rollo

No work permit, no licence??? Where did you get this information from?

I am on a retirerment visa and have m/bike and car licences. An 'o' visa may be required, but not a work permit.