Urgent Need For O-Negative At RAM Hospital!

JuniorExPat

I have just received a call from a friend seeking O negative blood for a patient at the Chiang Mai Ram hospital. The patient is suffering with dengue and is need of a blood transfusion. If you can help, please do so.

If I get any more details I will post them here.

JxP

More info, copied and pasted:

"CNX Urgent Blood Request - Daphné Geurts is in Chiang Mai Ram Hospital with Dengue Fever... she's a friend, mum and has a lovely little boy, Liam. Her platelets are levels are crashing & we urgently are seeking 6 units of O- blood. Please repost. Anyone who can help may call me on 08903 44644 . . . . Thank you.... :)"

JxP

Friend of mine, mother and TV member, daffietje, is in Ram hospital with dengue fever. Her platelets are crashing and she is in URGENT need of 6 units of O-negative blood. Please, please, please go there and give blood if you have O-negative.

I have O-positive. :(

Hi Joop, thank you! Wonderful.

I think you just can go there and tell you come for Daphne Geurts. For more info, please call Marike: 08903 44644

I just came home and saw this message form Marike on Facebook about her. And (double) posted straightaway here.

Quote:

"CNX Blood Request Update - thank you...!!! we now have a couple of O- volunteers on standby in Chiang Mai. :) The power of Facebook and thaivisa.com...!!! :) The doctor will re-evaluate Daphne's blood count tonight and, if the platelet count hasn't stabilized, they will proceed with the platelet harvest/transfusion to...morrow morning. Please keep Daphné Geurts in your thoughts and prayers..."

JxP

Quote:

"CNX Blood Request Update - thank you...!!! we now have a couple of O- volunteers on standby in Chiang Mai. :) The power of Facebook and thaivisa.com...!!! :) The doctor will re-evaluate Daphne's blood count tonight and, if the platelet count hasn't stabilized, they will proceed with the platelet harvest/transfusion to...morrow morning. Please keep Daphné Geurts in your thoughts and prayers..."

JxP

so do u still need donors or not? i have a fairly big facebook group with people from chiang mai and could spread the request there.

Just this evening a speaker car came by here in Saraphi and warned for the Dengue fever. I read the Chiang Rai forum, there it is even worse.

Someone post on that forum this link about fresh papaya leaves juice.

http://proud2bmalaysian.wordpress.com/2008/08/20/papaya-leaves-juice-cure-for-dengue/

Since there is no cure, and you or family or a friend got the disease. you can always give it a try.

If this link is posted here earlier, sorry about that.

... snip ... fresh papaya leaves juice. ... snip ... Since there is no cure, and you or family or a friend got the disease. you can always give it a try.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Joop50,

With complete respect for your helpful intention in posting this information, would like to say that when someone has dengue is not a good time to experiment with alternative treatments.

Dengue has a "natural cycle" of very rapid-onset (for most), high fever, rapid decline in blood platelets over five to six days, the fever "breaking," a period of very dangerous post-febrile-decline where dehydration is a mortal threat, and a recovery period which varies from individual to individual probably influenced by age, general health, or anything else that may have compromised the immune system (like HIV, cancer treatment, etc.).

Anything which might possibly thin the blood is extremely dangerous, and in my humble opinion, any secondary treatments done should only be done with the active consent of doctors. If the person with dengue is on other regular medications, or has some chronic condition (like Diabetes), who knows what the effects of unknown active compounds in papaya juice might have.

When this human container was knocked down by dengue, he did find yoga pranayama (the complete breath) calming and soothing, but had no energy to do asanas (postures).

If raw leaf papaya juice does turn out to have value in dengue treatment, halleleujah ! But, let's find out first. Perhaps studies are underway now, for all we know.

It would be valuable to know if, historically, raw leaf papaya juice has been used in Asia in ancient times.

best, ~o:37;

Quote:

JxP

so do u still need donors or not? i have a fairly big facebook group with people from chiang mai and could spread the request there.

For the immediate emergency it seems that there are enough donors and even some on stand-by. No harm in contacting the hospital if you are O negative and/or keeping an eye on this thread.

There is now a Facebook group dedicated to this subject: "EX-pats in Chiang Mai, Blood Type"; described as: "Ex-Pats living in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Please enter your blood type if you would like to give blood in case of an accident to another Ex-pat or indeed if you have an accident and need to be in contact with someone close by with the same group."

JxP

... snip ... There is now a Facebook group dedicated to this subject: "EX-pats in Chiang Mai, Blood Type"; described as: "Ex-Pats living in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Please enter your blood type if you would like to give blood in case of an accident to another Ex-pat or indeed if you have an accident and need to be in contact with someone close by with the same group."

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun JuniorExPat,

Funny you should mention that: just had the thought this morning of writing the moderators, and suggesting a special "pinned" topic here on the TV CM forum, where we could list our blood types in case of emergency.

We do not, by choice, use any of the social-networking sites, but if you'd like to add a note somewhere on FaceBook that a human body with type A-negative blood is in Chiang Mai, or if you hear of anyone who needs that type, we'd be most happy to donate. We read that A-negative can be given to people who are A-positive, AB-negative, and AB-negative, as well as, of course A-negative.

For the immediate emergency it seems that there are enough donors and even some on stand-by. No harm in contacting the hospital if you are O negative and/or keeping an eye on this thread.

There is now a Facebook group dedicated to this subject: "EX-pats in Chiang Mai, Blood Type"; described as: "Ex-Pats living in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Please enter your blood type if you would like to give blood in case of an accident to another Ex-pat or indeed if you have an accident and need to be in contact with someone close by with the same group."

JxP

Hi JxP,

I'm unable to find this FB group you mentioned... I'm not sure what the rules are about posting links, but if you can't post the link can you message it to me? Thanks. Like Orang37 above, I'm A-negative, FYI.

• Like 1

JxP

Hi JxP,

I'm unable to find this FB group you mentioned... I'm not sure what the rules are about posting links, but if you can't post the link can you message it to me? Thanks. Like Orang37 above, I'm A-negative, FYI.

The group is marked as Secret. I believe someone will need to send you an invite. I'll see if I can do that.

-Mestizo

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Mestizo, Khun SadieMBeagle, and Khun JuniorExPat,

fyi: We did send a request to the moderators requesting a pinned thread for people to share their blood types on the Chiang Mai forum.

The Facebook group was set up by me a few months ago just for abit of information between friends and friends of friends in Chiang mai, at first it was an open group but a few people complained that they wanted it invitation only and secret so I had to go that way. I have made anyone that joined an admin which means they can add people, if your having trouble joining and you want to join, if you send me a PM on here with your contact for facebook I will add you no problem or for people that know Nienke, Im sure she will add you if your in her facebook already. Sorry its not any easier but like I say i had to bow down to people wanting it private, in a way I can understand, but the idea behind the group was to get as many people in Chiang Mai involved for exactly the reason behind this topic.

• Like 1

Hi all, would like some help with regards to sources of where to register your blood type and donating blood.

Admin/moderation have concluded that we cannot create a pinned thread with blood types as there are too many factors (privacy issues if we are storing members blood groups and if storing phone numbers in the database. Possible legal issues if the stored info is not correct (wrong blood type added)). So, what i would like to do instead is collect as much information as possible about where to go to donate, and who to register your blood type with. Obvious sources will be Red Cross and the recent Facebook Site. I looked on the Red Cross site, but although gives information, doesnt seem to have anywhere you can register..seems more general information. Obviously looking for something more Chiang Mai specific. Any information you can offer, would be most helpful. Then i can set about creating a pinned thread for future reference. Thank you.

For clarification, Thaivisa does not have/store members telephone numbers. It was just a number of different alternatives that came up in discussion (members having the choice to leave a contact number in case of emergency).

Edited by eek

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

While a bit disappointed that no pinned topic will be created where we can "announce" our blood types, and our willingness to donate ... it seems like such a natural and valuable community service ...

We do appreciate the proposal was considered thoughtfully.

Wonder if a pinned thread titled "How and Where to Donate Blood in Chiang Mai" might be possible: if a member then leaves a post on that thread saying "I'm Blood type whatever, PM me if you need help:" then, as we imagine it, ThaiVisa is functioning as facilitating member-to-member mutual aid and is no way legally responsible.

In every case, all hospitals, and blood banks, are going to screen donors, and determine their blood types before they donate. The worst case that could happen if you accidentally stated the wrong type for your blood type, would be that the blood bank or hospital would tell you either : thanks, but go home, or, thanks, we can use your plasma, or thanks we can use that type even though it's not suitable for the specific person you came to donate for.

And, there are many other reasons the blood donation might be rejected: your current medications; your exposure to certain illnesses within certain time frames, etc.

You can still feel good about your willingness to donate even if they do not need, or reject, your offer. And if you are confused about what your blood type is, you have the chance to have that confusion corrected.

I gave blood in my homeland for many years and always thought that it was worthwhile as you never know when you may need it yourself.

Could something be created on our profile page?

Although I'm not in CM, this would also be useful throughout Thailand, especially for those living in the sticks surely.

I gave blood in my homeland for many years and always thought that it was worthwhile as you never know when you may need it yourself.

Could something be created on our profile page?

This and many other options were discussed. A pinned topic with sources of where to register/give blood is the only one given the go ahead. So lets focus on that. :)