Brit Pub/grub In Penang?

Eddiee

Hi all,

Going to Penang for the 2nd time next week for 4 nights staying at the Bayview City in Georgetown, 1st time I went I didnt really have any time to have a good look around.

Does anybody know any good Brit pubs in Georgetown? or any decent nightlife venus? I am going with the Thai misses so cant be too wild:-(

Anybody stayed at the Bayview? whats it like?

The Soho pub on Jalan Penang is a decent night out especially if you are there at a weekend.

Some of the bars on Chulia are OK for a few but tend to be backpackery.

Since the tragic demise of the Hong Kong Bar Penang has lost one of its true gems. It was a real throwback and unchanged since the 1950s.

Most of the more sophisticated clubs etc are out on Gurney but IMHO they are a tad overpriced and over rated.

Theres a good few decent bars around Jockstar, they just need sniffing out or you need to be lucky to catch it on the right night. Some of the hotels have reasonable bars which can be surprisingly good at times. Snag is that they are $$$ especially when you compare them to Thailand.

The trouble with Penang is that so many of the streets in the centre look alike. On one of my earliest trips there I found a belting bar near the Padang, full of women from the financial district. It was jumping!! I had a memorable night there but try as I might on subsequent trips I could never find it again so naturally I assumed that it had died a death or moved elsewhere. Then on my last trip I stumbled upon it absolutely by chance and it was still swinging but I was with the missus :o

I agree that Penang can be desolate at night and will never be noted for its nitelife. Indeed Chulia can be lifeless sometimes and after 10PM downright eerie with only the rats and unconvincing ladyboys for company which is why I was pleased that the Soho has picked up. That area needs a few nightspots since the focus of nightlife shifted out to Gurney Drive.

I'd been in the Soho a couple of times in the past and found it OK at best.

Last time I was there with the ex it was a Friday night and was swinging. Great atmosphere and open till......well we left at 4 and it was still jumping. Whenever we went back there after that it was still swinging.

Edited by ProfessorFart

Bayview is a nice hotel for the price,ask for a room facing the front,and high floor for good views.

Soho is easily walkable from there.Few other places,big night club call Slippery Sinorita's with good live band,the missus might like that,interesting to watch the young Chinese Malays enjoying themself's,more of a late venue and pricey,but not OTP.

Venture to little India for great curries.

Penang hill for a day trip, up by railway.

The HongKong Bar has reopened,but not in its previous form.

Thats a great news bartender. I met some real characters in the Hong Kong bar. I hope it hasn't lost its special atmosphere.

Its nothing like it was before,only a few tables in an empty room,same family,but I would guess no insurance to rebuild,I loved the place,first time I signed one of the books was 86,but they went back to 55/56

History lost.

Eddiee, you could have a look at this website

I also reccomend the Soho Free House. The Leith Street pub is nice too. It's almost opposite your hotel.

But you must check out Gurney Drive in the evening as it's a great place for food vendors.

Edited by markt

The Soho is probably the best pub there, HK bar is great but it is tiny and relies on character more than anything else.

If you are looking for decent Indian food and are tired of the usual backpacker, eating out of a bannanna leaf crap, (ie if you wan't something that is very similar to what you would get in a curry house in the UK) you must try the Kashmir. It is on the other side of the road from the SOHO, a couple of doors down in the basement of a cheap hotel. It is great and makes you realise what rubbish Indian food we get in Bangkok.

Hi all,

Going to Penang for the 2nd time next week for 4 nights staying at the Bayview City in Georgetown, 1st time I went I didnt really have any time to have a good look around.

Does anybody know any good Brit pubs in Georgetown? or any decent nightlife venus? I am going with the Thai misses so cant be too wild:-(

Anybody stayed at the Bayview? whats it like?

Give this page a read.