Beer Lao

Pattayapope

I was in Macro yesterday and I noticed they had some Beer Lao, regular and dark and thought I would buy a couple to try until I saw the price 39 Baht for regular and 60 Baht for the dark and these were only the 330 ml bottles. Is this a realistic price for this beer, I thought it should be much less especially the dark beer.

Sounds expensive, but then they realise that the farang like it and are flushed with money - so why not try and screw them for as much as they can.

Nothing to do with "screwing farangs".

Everything to do with duty on imported beer and the postponement of the implementation of the section of the ASEAN FTA pertaining to alcoholic drinks due to very heavy duty lobbying by the big 3 Thai breweries.

Sounds expensive, but then they realise that the farang like it and are flushed with money - so why not try and screw them for as much as they can.

Nothing to do with "screwing farangs".

Everything to do with duty on imported beer and the postponement of the implementation of the section of the ASEAN FTA pertaining to alcoholic drinks due to very heavy duty lobbying by the big 3 Thai breweries.

Either way, we have to pay for a good beer.

Hey Pope, maybe the price has gone up since the local direct sales guy seems to have given up the ghost. The last time I bought from him was in January and there was a thread opened last month about his shop being closed and the phone number dead.

I now get mine direct over-the-bridge from my neighbour who has a Lao wife so is back and forth 2-3 times a week. Let me know if you need a case (or 2) and I can bring down to Pattaya for next weekend. I will check with the wife how much we paid for a case of dark (great stuff btw) but around 1000 baht rings a bell but that may have included his tip.

Edited by NanLaew

Makro is charging 850 Baht for a case of 24 San Mig Light bottles - that's over 35 Baht/bottle, so 39 Baht for a much smoother imported and over-taxed Beer Lao is a bargain. The dark is always more expensive than the light. I don't know why, but it's the same in Cambodia. The bizarre thing there in Sihanoukville, where Angkor is brewed, is that imported Beer Lao is slightly cheaper than locally produced Angkor.

Speaking of beer: Can anyone give me a clue where to get Inexpensive beer at wholesale prices? I have tried several wholesalers in the Pattaya, and for some reason, they are more expensive than Makro. I would like to get all my beer and other drinks from the same company, so dont want to order each load from the brewery. Any help would be really appreciated, but please dont tell me to go back home if I want cheap beer!:)