Pace Picante Sauce

Backwoods

Still trying to find some in Thailand. I have tried all the local brands, and still non come pare to the hot Pace Picante for y natcho's and just plain old dip with chips and cheese! I can't even find a site that shipps here, as I would almost be willing to buy by the case if shipping wasn't prohibitive!!

Pace Foods of San Antonio, TX, is now owned by Campbell's Soup Co.

Campbell's Soup has Asia-Pacific HQ in Australia:

"Our Asia Pacific business, Campbell's Arnott's, is headquartered in Sydney, Australia, and supplies biscuits, soups, sauces and beverages to Australia, New Zealand, Greater China, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Singapore.

Our brand portfolio includes Arnott's, Tim Tam, Nyam Nyam, and Good Time biscuits, Campbell's and Swanson soups, stocks and sauces, and V8 beverages. We have production facilities in Australia, Indonesia, and Malaysia. We also market and distribute such brands as Kimball sauces and Cheong Chan ethnic Chinese sauces in Thailand, Brunei, and Vietnam."

Doesn't seem like Pace is planned to arrive anytime soon.

Although Pace is my middle name, I think their salsa is so-so, as is most commercial salsa.  Good fresh salsa is so easy to make and oh so much better, in my opinion.  Even here in Thailand, making it is a snap.

The only advantage of Pace or the like is that you can keep on the shelf for a century or so, and even once opened, it will stay fine in the fridge for half a century.  :)

Whatever you think -- and I may agree -- they sure sell a lot of it right there in Texas and elsewhere...

Of course they do. Salsa is now the US' number one condiment. I just wrote that I don't understand it. Other than the shelf life, it has no advantage over the easily made fresh salsa. And here in Thailand, where the imported salsa is a little expensive, that makes fresh even more attractive.

Mayo is difficult to make, peanut butter is not that easy, ketchup needs a recipe and the right tomatoes, jam takes time, etc, but salsa? Not much could be easier.

I am sure it is like a lot of things: It is what you grew up with... not so difficult to understand... Plus, while one can certainly make an acceptable -- if not better -- fresh salsa home-made, it probably does not have the exact same flavor as the Pace...

One company had disappointing sales after switching from tomato juice in a can to juice in a glass bottle. Why? Because part of the accepted 'taste' over generations came from contact with the can.

Why does a Thai family here buy packaged coconut milk when the fresh is available in the same market?

• 2 weeks later...