Tourism Authority Of Thailand (TAT) Seeks Help From Overseas Thais

webfact

TAT seeks help from overseas Thais

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is asking Thais living overseas to help rebuild tourism in their home country by promoting Bangkok, which won this year's "World's Best City" award on votes cast by readers of Travel and Leisure magazine.

This is one of the strategies initiated by TAT to attract visitors back to Thailand following a review of the country's tourism prospects in overseas countries.

TAT's representatives in key regions such as Europe, Asia and the United Sates have been told to give priority to promoting Bangkok on the strength of the World's Best City award.

Moreover, they have been urged to help promote Chiang Mai, which won Travel and Leisure's Best Tourist City in Asia award.

"As a short-term plan, TAT will ask Thais living overseas to invite their friends and people in their communities to come to Thailand, especially to Bangkok and Chiang Mai," said TAT's executive director of advertising and public relations Sugree Sithivanich.

He said millions of Thais were living in major foreign cities and they should be able to help encourage tourists to travel to Thailand.

TAT Governor Suraphon Svetarenee said he had called overseas associations and unions, such as Thai Restaurants' Association and Thai Student Unions, asking that they promote their homeland.

Despite the political crisis in May and June, international visitor arrivals in the first six months were still in positive territory and the bomb blast in Bangkok in July had no widespread affect on tourism. Only a few groups postponed their trips.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry said there were 7.5 million visitors to Thailand between January and June, up from 6.6 million in the first half of 2009.

In July, Thailand welcomed 1.2 million tourists, a year-on-year increase of 14 per cent. The biggest number of visitors came from China, with 90,172 arrivals in July compared to 47,990 in the same month last year, |or 87.8-per-cent growth. It is hoped the number of visitors from China will reach 15 million this year.

Of the 7.5-million arrivals in the first six months, 3.6 million were from East Asia. Although Malaysian visitors topped the list with 930,660 arrivals, they were followed by Japan, with 475,386; China, with 471,462; and South Korea, with 382,394.

The number of tourists from Europe grew by 15.8 per cent, year on year, to 2.27 million in the first half of the year. The United Kingdom was the largest source market with 412,035 arrivals, up 2.2 per cent.

Visitors from Russia in June 2010 totalled 305,415, up 102.28 percent over the same period of 2009. The arrivals from the Americas during January-June saw an increase of 3.6 per cent to 431,381.

India has become a primary market with arrivals up 18.39 per cent to 344,063, making it the region's fastest growing market. Thailand is enjoying huge popularity among Indian niche markets such as, weddings and honeymooners.

Arrivals from Oceania increased 11.8 per cent to 367,540 visitors while numbers from the Middle East grew by 22.20 per cent to 261,657 with all markets showing a positive growth.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-13

• Like 1

the TAT should ask foreigners living in thailand for help - we have good connections to our home lands and we know to promote a country as thailand is in our countries, cause we know the needs and dreams of our people :jap::rolleyes:;)

Edited by astral

Has it ever crossed the minds of the cretins at TAT to ask themselves why so many millions of Thais choose to live in another country? 

Promote Thailand?  55555555555555555555   Not even to Lance Corporal, Somjai.

Has it ever crossed the minds of the cretins at TAT to ask themselves why so many millions of Thais choose to live in another country?

Promote Thailand? 55555555555555555555 Not even to Lance Corporal, Somjai.

I think I can honestly presume people emmigrate to a different country for various , differing reasons , not least of all , a better standard of living and life-style . Why on earth would you ask them to try to encourage neighbours , friends etc to visit thier old country when they have most likely already related the downside of said country ?

For example : how many brits that post on this forum could convince anyone to visit "Jolly-Old-England' , when all they have to offer in a steady stream , is vitriolic clap-trap .

The most logical idea as posted earlier in this thread , invite the expats in THIS COUNTRY to do the advertising in the country they left , who else could extol the virtues of change so eloquently in a video ?

How about , people who make a decition on the streng of an expat video to visit Thailand , be met at the airport by the expat and taken to thier accomodation , no hastles either end .

PROMOTION not blither and blather !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Promote Thailand? 55555555555555555555 Not even to Lance Corporal, Somjai.

I think I can honestly presume people emmigrate to a different country for various , differing reasons , not least of all , a better standard of living and life-style . Why on earth would you ask them to try to encourage neighbours , friends etc to visit thier old country when they have most likely already related the downside of said country ?

For example : how many brits that post on this forum could convince anyone to visit "Jolly-Old-England' , when all they have to offer in a steady stream , is vitriolic clap-trap .

The most logical idea as posted earlier in this thread , invite the expats in THIS COUNTRY to do the advertising in the country they left , who else could extol the virtues of change so eloquently in a video ?

How about , people who make a decition on the streng of an expat video to visit Thailand , be met at the airport by the expat and taken to thier accomodation , no hastles either end .

PROMOTION not blither and blather !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They couldn't ask foreigners to promote their country. That would be a loss of face to them.

I think Thais living abroad still love Thailand. It's in their blood. Not a bad word can be said. They're taught to love Thai from a very early age.

Why do they need all this promotion anyway? Judging by the report all the figures are up....

It's been my experience that most Thais living in another country have mostly Thai friends and any farangs they know all ready know the Thailand.

You are spot on. Furthermore, when they do return to Thailand it is not usually as a tourist. They go to see their family, who they are already supporting by sending money back home.

Better ideas than the one from TAT have been suggested elsewhere on this forum.

Are we to read into TAT's suggestion that their previous forcasts of tourist numbers were over optimistic?

TAT seems to pass along suggestions that might be expected for those who are attending class, to become tour guides, etc. The road to self destruct is fairly short, TAT seem to promote the downhill run in their endeavor to get to the end. The people put on TAT salary in whatever position/title they are assigned, would seem to be the result of inbreeding for several generations.

• Like 1

I can see it now Khun Puying living in Farangland chatting with friends and relatives

Khun Puying " I think that you should visit Thailand"

Friends/relatives " What is there for us to do and see "

Khun Puying " lots of exciting things to do visit the beautiful temples, try some wonderful food, meet great people "

Friends/relatives " sounds wonderful , is it safe ? "

Khun Puying " errrmmmmm yes " !

I am not knocking this country I love it but if they want to gain more tourist shouldn't they be focusing on the bigger problems?

"As a short-term plan, TAT will ask Thais living overseas to invite their friends and people in their communities to come to Thailand, especially to Bangkok and Chiang Mai,". Free PR, or do they get a commission?

ahhh your thinking like a Thai now....sawasdee BAHT and Korpkhun BAHT

Couple (four actually)of friends were thinking of a quick visit to Chiang Mai from London and wanted to try "smooth as silk"..TG .since I am always doing my bit and going on about visiting the "Land of the Smiles.

PS ...I am NOT employed by or having taken a backhander from TOT...right..

.so suggested a quick look at the jolly old Thai Airways WEB site bearing in mind that since so few tourist are visiting then it must be an absolute Bargain.

..YES ..YEs..Yes....err maybe not......HOW MUCH.?.....and thats just to get there..BH

Travellers Flights Taxes

1 adult(s) x (717.00 + 284.70) = 1,001.70 GBP

total for all travellers 1,001.70 GBP

Fare conditions

Fare basis & Booking Class information

I did say that the beer would be cheap and they could visit lots on very nice temples ...But......£4000 for basic economy fares... :lol: even Pink Elephants wont help

Our next joli in Oct is with Etti ...£415 to Bangers and a special on AA...but mai mee toorists anymore...

Food for thought maybe...over to TOT..... :huh:

it's a downright scandal , they are candidly asking them to WORK in foreign countries, without a working permit ! Whereas greeting customers in a LOS bar sends you to jail (see previous thread). Thais, don't listen to your govt !you might get into trouble.

Besides, this snug official asks them to work for free ! he's a slave-driver and takes you for fools . what does he think, Thais abroad all live it on a grand scale, launching giant garden parties every w e to promote T ? what a lame excuse for a civil servant .

I think Thailand should get their own house in order before putting out an endless

stream of ill conceived ideas, notions and thoughts.

Make Thailand more tourist friendly, but back on the endless scams and the

endless corruption of those in charge. Makee Thailand more green, do something

about the horrendous pollution, clean iup the major tourist attractions ....

It would probably help if there were fewer political protests and fewer headlines

about terrorist from within

Once Thailand's own house is in order, then come out with a sold plan. Tossing out

stupid useless ideas is a waste of everyone's time

I think Thailand should get their own house in order before putting out an endless

stream of ill conceived ideas, notions and thoughts.

Make Thailand more tourist friendly, but back on the endless scams and the

endless corruption of those in charge. Makee Thailand more green, do something

about the horrendous pollution, clean iup the major tourist attractions ....

It would probably help if there were fewer political protests and fewer headlines

about terrorist from within

Once Thailand's own house is in order, then come out with a sold plan. Tossing out

stupid useless ideas is a waste of everyone's time

The cretins at TAT live such insular lives.

One day they are bragging about all the millions of tourists that will be coming to LOS, the next it's all doom and gloom. Make your minds up. :lol::blink::angry::annoyed:

Until they change the Immigration Rules no Farang will assist anything in Thailand! Thai's are mostly incapable of handling promotion other than simply throwing money at promotions. They lack business acumen, solid planning or R & D to predict results which more often than not are pulled from the air or taken from historical data then 'projected' willy nilly. And whilst this post may get the keyboards wagging, it is still my country of choice but after 10 years I have learned (and I employ hundreds of Thai's), they are not interested in knowledge transfer unless they received an international education and have a different thought process! Just pay the man and that is all they really care about thus is their karma! ohmy.gif

A man sitting on the step in Issarn has his son sit beside him.

"Dad, why don't you go get a job, earn some money, rather than protest and wait for more money and handouts from the Government? You could work hard, save some money and then when time comes you can sit back and relax..."

HIs father looks him in the eye. "I'm already relaxed so why work?" dry.gif

In July, Thailand welcomed 1.2 million tourists, a year-on-year increase of 14 per cent. The biggest number of visitors came from China, with 90,172 arrivals in July compared to 47,990 in the same month last year, |or 87.8-per-cent growth. It is hoped the number of visitors from China will reach 15 million this year.

Huh?

TAT, just pay a professional marketing firm (non Thai)  to promote Thailand, most likely will achieve the objectives.<div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">"The biggest number of visitors came from China", yes.. this trend is seen virtually globally, not only Thailand from Chinese tourist.</strong></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><br></strong></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><br></strong></span></div>

TAT, just pay a professional marketing firm (non Thai)  to promote Thailand, most likely will achieve the objectives.<div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; ">"The biggest number of visitors came from China", yes.. this trend is seen virtually globally, not only Thailand from Chinese tourist.</strong></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><br></strong></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 19px; "><strong class="bbc" style="font-weight: bold !important; "><br></strong></span></div>

What the four and a half is this supposed to be as a post ?????????????????

TXAT habitually release figures illustrating a glorious recovery in the tourist sector: Why this then?

Those living abroad may no longer be that loyal to Thailand anyway: surely the women in particular come to realise just what a s-hole it is for them?

I guess TWXT just don't realise there is a recession on, and that they (Thailand) just can't go on acting up and expecting no repurcussions.

Huh?

Jiu, sounds like this is the first time you have come face to face with the famous Thai innumeracy gene. It shows up in virtually all Thai newspaper articles involving statistics and difficult concepts like percentages, annual changes etc.

Here is another example from just a few days ago:

In a related report, 110,000 passengers arrived at the airport in July 2010, increasing a bit from June; however, it is still lower year-on-year.

Given that Suvarnabhumi airport has a yearly average of about 20 Million arrivals, a figure of only 110,000 in a month is ridiculously small (even allowing for tourists terrified of coups, airport takeovers etc.)

Never, ever trust Thai government statistics. The TAT asking for help? With one of the largest budgets in the government, you'd think they would do more to promote outside the country. Instead the funds are used for in house trips and red carpet roll out for government officials traveling overseas.

Compare this: Singapore with 3 mill+ citizens, and the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) with 400 employees versus Thailand's 60 million and thousands of employees. Visitors to both nations are almost identical. TAT is the most inefficient agency in the country. Typical to ask for 'free' outside help too.

• 11 months later...

Once there are 15 million Chinese visitors to Thailand per year, the country will probably have to do a whole lot more to meet their needs. Apart from the obvious (being able to encounter local Chinese speakers possibly as easily as you currently encounter English speakers) and of course Chinese language restaurant menus (nowadays there is a Chinese language option on most ATMs in Thailand, but apart from Bangkok's Chinatown, you'll see relatively little Chinese script in most parts of Thailand). Perhaps being allowed to spit everywhere they want, allow children to crap on public streets in full public view and smoke on buses and on hotel beds and be screamed at in a foreign language will become normal. Hahaha...well, I hope not because I don't think the Thais are pushovers towards anyone and the idea of such awful social habits being accepted here would make me want to scream (in Chinese or Thai or any other language).

Seriously I hope that 15 million figure is a misprint (probably they forgot to add the decimal so it should be 1.5 million). TAT, just how many tourists per year is enough? Surely you don't want to see 100 million tourists outnumbering the Thais in their own country?