Want To Clean Inside My Computer

gennisis

Lenovo computer as photo.....operating book gives no mention.......no obvious way to open up the case.

Photo attached. Has been used for 4 years and I am sure is full of cat hairs and dust which is making it do very strange things....so recon that a clean is the first step.post-40598-083645000 1281668283_thumb.jp

At a random guess (without seeing the back) I would say there should be 2 screws (maybe finger turnable) on the back on the side next to the printer.

Failing that look for a small lever on the back.

Take the screws out or release the lever and pull out the entire side panel next to the printer.

sledgehammer

just kidding.

Check your owner's manual. If the manufacturer has provided specific instructions, follow them.

Step 2

Get any supplies you might need: a can of compressed air, Endust for Electronics or any household plastic or metal cleaning fluid, a soft brush (such as a paintbrush) and an anti-static rag, plus a dust mask if you're allergic to dust.

Step 3

Shut down the computer.

Step 4

Leave the computer plugged into the surge suppressor.

Step 5

Disconnect all peripherals from the computer.

Step 6

Remove the computer cover (see your owner's manual for instructions).

Step 7

Ground yourself to the computer with any professional grounding equipment you have. Otherwise, ground yourself by touching a metal part of the chassis.

Step 8

Spray compressed air on the fan blades, power supply chassis, drive chassis and circuit boards.

Step 9

Gently brush off dust that the forced air didn't dislodge.

Step 10

Brush any remaining dust out from the bottom of the chassis.

Step 11

Spray Endust for Electronics or another cleaning fluid onto an anti-static rag.

Step 12

Wipe the inside and outside of the cover thoroughly.

Step 13

Replace the cover and reconnect the peripherals.

Tips & Warnings

If possible, work in an uncarpeted area.

Be careful not to touch any chips. Touch as little as possible inside your machine. Static damage (and even oil damage) may cause a failure months after the incident.

Some sources recommend using a regular or specialty electronics vacuum cleaner. These appliances could cause magnetic damage or static electricity, or dislodge or inhale poorly secured chips or components.

I would strongly advise not leaving computer plugged in when in Thailand as there is no way to know which line is being switched off or that there is even a ground present.

Not working on a rug is a static concern which in the humidity of most places here probably is not a major problem. Electric from unit/you/to conductive floor would be my major concern.

I would advise having someone do the cleaning for you as it should not cost much and you do not take needless risks to you (emphasis on you) or equipment.

Good advice from Lopburi,unplug from mains for sure,I know from experience !,actually unplug all leads as power can flow from other devices back to the PC.

If you are competent then remove the video card and RAM sticks and clean the contacts with a pencil rubber.

The CPU fan and fins will be clogged so clean with a vacuum or compressed air and a brush.

I would strongly advise not leaving computer plugged in when in Thailand as there is no way to know which line is being switched off or that there is even a ground present.

I would advise having someone do the cleaning for you as it should not cost much and you do not take needless risks to you (emphasis on you) or equipment.

Your surge protector should tell you if the line is grounded - if not, you need a better one. They aren't expensive, look at Triplite or APC or similar. You definitely want it plugged into a grounded line so you can ground yourself to the case. Otherwise you risk shorting something.

Personally, I use a shop vac to vacuum out the dust and that works pretty well.

But the idea of taking to a shop is reasonable if you can find one you actually trust with your computer. Even then, make sure you remove the HD before you bring it in, unless you don't mind them scanning it. That's standard procedure for bored and curious techies, meaning it happens all the time. There have been a few famous cases here in the states, and I'm sure techies are the same everywhere :)

We are lucky to even have a three pin strip (no we don't use surge protectors unless built into a UPS) and the chance it is actually terminated at ground is likely less than 50%. Nobody is scanning HD in the wait ten minutes that a cleaning would take (things are done in real time here) and removal a needless risk to normal user. Static charge is not much of a problem here.

I agree a common vac will do a good job of cleaning out the dust but would never advise anyone without some basic electrical knowledge opening a plugged in computer when the alternative is as cheap as it is here. And as said all cables should be removed.