I Want To Stay In Thailand For Over 60 Days

Hi everyone,

I was going to ring the Thailand consulate in Hull but thought I would ask here as perhaps this thread will help others. It seems Thailand is constantly changing VISA rules and prices which causes a little complication.

My flight is in 2 weeks, I've spent the last few months saving up some cash, all I want to do is stay in Koh Samui and relax - I'd like the option to stay over 60 days. I'm 28, British and have no Thai contacts in Thailand.

At the moment the 30 day tourist VISA is free, and the 60 day tourist VISA is £28.

Regarding the 60 day tourist VISA:

The applicant can be apply up to 3 entries.Duration of stay not exceeding 60 days per entry (Please refer to Validation of Stay). Single entry visa has 3 months validity, more than one entry visa has 6 mounts validity.

Could someone explain the above in laymans terms? I assume that means I can apply for 1, 2 or 3 entries when applying for the '60 day tourist visa'? I just want to stay in Thailand for over 60 days, with perhaps the option to stay longer if I like.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Richard

Edited by Richard7

A 60 day Tourist Visa is free of charge at the moment.

It can be extended for a further 30 days at Immigration for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

If you want to stay longer than 90 days get a 2 entry or 3 entry Visa.

Each entry 60 days and can be extended 30 days.

Thanks for the responses - I decided to call them, they're extremely helpful.

You're right the 60 day tourist Visa is free til March next year .

They said it allows you 60 days, and you can extend it 3 times outside of Thailand. Each time you extend it out of Thailand it's another 60 days - I'm sure that's what they said.

60 x 3 border runs = 180 days / 6 months

Not sure on what my options are then (if I did last 6 months that is - I suppose that's a hurdle to jump when I get to it!)

:)

Edited by Richard7

Thanks for the responses - I decided to call them, they're extremely helpful.

You're right the 60 day tourist Visa is free til March next year .

They said it allows you 60 days, and you can extend it 3 times outside of Thailand. Each time you extend it out of Thailand it's another 60 days - I'm sure that's what they said.

60 x 3 border runs = 180 days / 6 months

Not sure on what my options are then (if I did last 6 months that is - I suppose that's a hurdle to jump when I get to it!)

:)

You can extend each entry at immigrations in Thailand for 1900 baht.

Utilized right you can.

1. Enter Thailand get 60 days.

2. Extend at immigrations for 30 days (cost 1900 baht)

3. Make a border run.

4. Enter Thailand get 60 days.

5. Extend at immigrations for 30 days (cost 1900 baht)

6. Make a border run.

7. Enter Thailand get 60 days.

8. Extend at immigrations for 30 days (cost 1900 baht)

Total: 270 days / 9 months

You can never extend a visa outside of Thailand. You either obtain a new visa, obtain a new entry on a visa that allows more than one entry or you obtain a visa exempt entry for 30 days by air or 15 days by land.

So it would appear they are talking about issue of a three entry tourist visa rather than a normal single entry? You leave the country and on return use the next entry for a new 60 day stay. But that would be two border runs rather than 3 (unless you are counting the initial entry) for a 180 day stay.

You leave the country and on return use the next entry for a new 60 day stay. But that would be two border runs rather than 3 (unless you are counting the initial entry) for a 180 day stay.

I think you're right - it must be 2 border runs. The first entry counts as the first visit.

"You need to get a 3 entry Tourist Visa for the above to work. Not a single."

Yes, this is correct. And is covered by the 60 day Tourist VISA (so it seems). I'm sure she said that - it's free at the moment.

The applicant can be apply up to 3 entries.Duration of stay not exceeding 60 days per entry (Please refer to Validation of Stay). Single entry visa has 3 months validity, more than one entry visa has 6 mounts validity.

PoorSucker, isn't your 270 day idea invalid by the above statement "more than one entry visa has 6 mounts validity."

Edited by Richard7

PoorSucker, isn't your 270 day idea invalid by the above statement "more than one entry visa has 6 mounts validity."

If the visa is still valid you still get 60 days entry stamp.

Even if it's the last day of the visas validity.

Visa only allows you to enter the Kingdom within validity.

Entry stamps tell you how long you can stay.

"You need to get a 3 entry Tourist Visa for the above to work. Not a single."

Yes, this is correct. And is covered by the 60 day Tourist VISA (so it seems). I'm sure she said that - it's free at the moment.

No. A Triple Entry Tourist Visa is needed.

I doubt that all 3 entries will be free. You may have to pay for 2.

So I guess the keyword regarding the 60 Tourist Visa is:

And each time I apply it will cost me. Any ideas how much for each 60 day 'application'?

This wasn't explained very well over the phone then :lol:

Can you get the 60 day visa when you get to thailand, or do you need to obtain it before hand?

You need to apply at a Thai Consulate abroad.

60 days tourist visas can not be obtained at the border.

Ok cool thank you. I will do my research. Best wishes all