Where would you like to live in Thailand?

jonboy

Hi all,

I've been thinking for a while now that i've had my fill of Bangkok and that It would be nice to experience living life by/near the sea(as the plan was when I first came here 3 years ago!!).I did a bit of travelling when I first came to thailand but unfortuneatly they were all lonely planet places.What I would like if the place exists is...

1, At or near the beach(or a short motorbike ride away)

2, Not a tourist spot but still have the odd(not strange)Falang knocking around.

3,Hopefully have a few schools near town so as to get some work.

4,Not extremely important but would preffer somewhere near the Andaman sea.

5,Not to be right in the middle of a busy town but near enough to be able to scoot down to a tesco/Makro or maybe a few bars.

Maybe you've been on your hols here or a trip for another reason and found a place like this that you have thought would be nice to settle in when you get the opportunity to.Well if you could share a few details on here with us it would be much appreciated.Failing that I can only think of getting the backpack out again unless anyone knows of any good websites where they have some indepth reviews(except Lonelyplanet me thinks).

Thanks

Well have made my choice of Koh Chang on the quieter east coast.Like you I would have prefered the Andamans,but for many reasons in the end Koh Chang won,even with its high rainfall periods(in the Uk for the summers so that at the moment at least doesn't matter)

Edited by chaiyapoon

Hi all,

I've been thinking for a while now that i've had my fill of Bangkok and that It would be nice to experience living life by/near the sea(as the plan was when I first came here 3 years ago!!).I did a bit of travelling when I first came to thailand but unfortuneatly they were all lonely planet places.What I would like if the place exists is...

2, Not a tourist spot but still have the odd(not strange)Falang knocking around.

5,Not to be right in the middle of a busy town but near enough to be able to scoot down to a tesco/Makro or maybe a few bars.

Maybe you've been on your hols here or a trip for another reason and found a place like this that you have thought would be nice to settle in when you get the opportunity to.Well if you could share a few details on here with us it would be much appreciated.Failing that I can only think of getting the backpack out again unless anyone knows of any good websites where they have some indepth reviews(except Lonelyplanet me thinks).

Thanks

Where I live, Sattahip, has the following:-

1.Fifteen minutes to beach.

2. Mainly thai area (reason why cost of living cheaper) Some farangs, but if you want more Pattaya 30 minutes.

3.Plenty of schools in surrounding Pattaya/ Rayong area.

4. Naval port on Gulf of Thailand

5. I live near the mountains 10 minutes from town centre. Department Store, KFC, etc.30 minutes from Tesco and the "entertainments" of Pattaya. :o

What I would like if the place exists is...

Give Kathu on Phuket Island a chance :-)

7 km to Patong Beach, on a Honda Wave it will take you about 15-20 min.

It is more than less Thai, but got some bars and restaurants.

Prince of Songkhla University is there, schools are in Phuket City, about 10 min on the bike.

It is, definetely. But Tsunami-safe behind the mountains :-)

Makro, Central and Big C about 7 minutes drive, Tesco 10 minutes.

You are welcome! Houses with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room and kitchen (without furniture) go for 4,500 per month up...

Ban Chang, a little before Rayong and close to Sattahip, therefore having everything listed below. Its a great location for the beachs, town centres, 1 hour 30'ish to Bangkok, close enough to Pattaya (but far enough away), Koh Samet close by and domestic airport close by.

2. Mainly thai area (reason why cost of living cheaper) Some farangs, but if you want more Pattaya 30 minutes.

5. I live near the mountains 10 minutes from town centre. Department Store, KFC, etc.30 minutes from Tesco and the "entertainments" of Pattaya. :o

Ban Chang, a little before Rayong and close to Sattahip, therefore having everything listed below. Its a great location for the beachs, town centres, 1 hour 30'ish to Bangkok, close enough to Pattaya (but far enough away), Koh Samet close by and domestic airport close by.

My GF has just moved with her work to Sattahip so I was interested in these posts. Whats the attraction with the naval base?

Phak Phanang is a nice little town with a river running through it. Close to the sea but not the Andaman.

Very near to Nakhon Si Thammarat (Tesco, schools, bars?).

Possibly a one day(?) trip to Malaysian border for visa run.

My GF has just moved with her work to Sattahip so I was interested in these posts. Whats the attraction with the naval base?

Lots of development land at cheap prices compared to tourist areas. Everyone except me on my estate works for navy as they get preferential home loans.

Good clinic next to naval base, treatment for farangs at thai prices. Excellent naval hospital.No water shortages, unlike Pattaya.

Lots of development land at cheap prices compared to tourist areas. Everyone except me on my estate works for navy as they get preferential home loans.

Good clinic next to naval base, treatment for farangs at thai prices. Excellent naval hospital.No water shortages, unlike Pattaya.

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks Mate.

check out Kanchanaburi.

Nice group of ex-pats, reasonably good schools in the area, only a couple of hours from either Andaman or Gulf of LOS coasts (ideal for weekend trips) Tesco, macdonalds on the outskirts of town, and the town is just unbeatable...

Sa Keao town.Not far away from Pattaya and Bangkok and of course Aranyaprathet for visa affairs. Far away enough from my wifes home-village(30min. drive)Still a little underdeveloped in comparison to other towns in LOS, but will be fine for me in 25 years.

Never been farang-charged there yet.

Been thinking of moving as well, to a similar type of place less touristy than Samui. Also looking for more Thai-ish area, close to a beach and other facilities, and the odd night out in a place like Phuket or Pattaya . But need a broadband or good internet connection, which most of the smaller places here don't offer?

• 2 weeks later...

Will be down south at the Malaysian border on the 5th of next month(next week).If I have time I'll look at both Songkla and Trang.Whats the cheapest/easiest way(flying) of getting back from down there, back upto Bangkok? I know I can get an airasia flight from Naratiwat for a mere 999 baht.But do I really need to go back all the way down there after visiting these places?

What choices(flying) do I have?

rayong has all you need.

90 mins from bkk, 45 mins from pattaya, good supermarkets and makro, beach which is very nice and no farangs.

i have a place between wang chan and ban khai

http://www.clickthai.de/Map/ look at rayong

lake4.jpg

what you see is my front garden the house is being built in the top right hand corner!

anyone wanna come fishing?

20 mins away from everything

the view from the house will be this

lake2.jpg

Edited by uncle paul

Will be down south at the Malaysian border on the 5th of next month(next week).If I have time I'll look at both Songkla and Trang.Whats the cheapest/easiest way(flying) of getting back from down there, back upto Bangkok? I know I can get an airasia flight from Naratiwat for a mere 999 baht.But do I really need to go back all the way down there after visiting these places?

What choices(flying) do I have?

Trang is just a few hours from Krabi. Koh Lanta is on the way from Trang to Krabi (stop in there and take a peek). You can fly from Krabi to BKK.

.... or you can continue on to Phuket just another few hours and check out RAWAI on the south coast of Phuket. It's perfect for your criteria: fantastic beaches, hills and jungle ( I live in the jungle yet just a few mins drive down to Rawai stores, restaurants/ bars. The area has a great group of local expats and friendly local Thai residents- quite a village feel in fact.

Also Tesco/Makro and new Central Phuket (with great cinemas) is about 20 mins drive and loads of schools in Phuket Town (about 20 mins).

And the, of course, you can fly from Phuket to BKK :D

Phak Phanang is a nice little town with a river running through it. Close to the sea but not the Andaman.

Very near to Nakhon Si Thammarat (Tesco, schools, bars?).

Possibly a one day(?) trip to Malaysian border for visa run.

I agree mate, Im just next door to there - well I have land there on the river and will one day stay there indefinately.

If its good enough for His Majesty, its good enough for me. :o