Figs

taff33

For the first time (in may be 20 years +) the fig tree in the garden has produced fruit,at the moment they are yellow/orange in colour, they taste like figs but are dry ,can any one tell me when they will be ready to be picked and is there any thing else to be done to them.

look like figs, taste like figs . . . sure they're figs?

My father was a keen gardener and fig-grower, his biggest problem when they were near ready to eat was birds.

They should crop every year, sometimes twice a year I think in favourable climates/conditions.

In general, dry fruit is either inmature and not ready for harvest yet, or the tree had inadequate water availability (and nutrients) during the fruit development stage. If a tree hasn't fruited for 20 years, I would think there is something wrong with the cultural conditions, or it isn't a good variety or healthy individual. Consider concentrating on soil fertility and irrigation management for next season, and if it's basically a good tree, just drought stressed, you may get a better crop.

Soidog2 is growing figs, maybe he will see this and add the voice of experience.

Not all figs are edible, yours may be a wild fig tree.

Please post clear pictures showing leaves patterns and the so called dry fruit.

I will advise you than.

Best regards.

taff33 had hard time posting his pictures, he sent them to me instead.

It turns out the tree is not a fig tree at all but a date tree; most likely a Deglet Noor (Arabic: دڤلة النور 'date of light') Pictures are not clear, it could also be a "palm look like date tree" !

My reply and his pictures are bellow .

"taff33" you either have a vocabulary problem or your wife is terribly confused.

This are not figs, it could be a species of Phoenix dactylifera or edible date, common in the middle east.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/date.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_dactylifera

In order to successfully fruit every year you need at least one male tree as well ( yours is female ) Wind or hand pollination is required.

Once the dates ripen ( easy to pull or start falling down ) in order to bring out the sugar, they need to be sundried for a few days untill soft.

Yours are unpollinated and not dried, they will be very astringent tasting.

A word of warning, your pictures are very poor quality, I can't tell 100% they are dates.

It could be a palm tree as well, that will explain the dry taste.

Good luck to you, let me know if I can post your pictures on Thai Visa so somebody may learn from this.

post-14625-039916400 1282092820_thumb.jp

post-14625-006116300 1282092824_thumb.jp

post-14625-030376900 1282092829_thumb.jp

post-14625-018069900 1282092834_thumb.jp

soidog2 thanks for your help I think I'll go and chop it down now

That is of course up to you, but if you want to try your hand at growing yummy dates; I can tell you where to obtain a male tree and how to process the fruit.

I have six trees and very long line of willing customers. see attached pictures of this year's crop !

Female trees are very valuable.

Best Regards

The middle picture is of figs from the garden & my dates are darker = medjool dates

post-14625-048919600 1282183703_thumb.jp

post-14625-046330700 1282184686_thumb.jp

post-14625-035109800 1282184700_thumb.jp

Edited by soidog2

Wow... I love dates. I didn't know you can grow dates in Thailand. I thought it needs dry conditions.... Where do you grow it?

Buriram

BuriRam is my second home....hopefully relocating permanently from BKK to Buriram soon....:)

Would love to have me some Dates...:)

Roni.