2 Workers Killed, Many Trapped In University Building Collapse In Chon Buri

webfact

Sad,

The thing that gets me is I recall there was a similar accident a few years ago in Pattaya while constructing a hotel, I do not fully blame the construction companies because it is clear that there is no government inspection to ensure safety.

I disagree. While government oversight and standards are desirable, the responsibility for this kind of collapse lies 100% with the professional staff on site. The construction manager, the site engineer, the foreman are the people with full and unavoidable responsibility for the safety of the less skilled workers they oversee. If you work in site management then you know that when it goes wrong it's you and the people working for you that are going to get hurt. No one else.

When someone has died it's no use saying "It's not entirely my fault, the government should have made me do a better job".

Is it not better to prosecute a few construction companies before worker die than after, we all see bad practices that are a safety hazard every day so start prosecuting and things will improve.

Funny how the news reports that corruption was not found to be the reason for the collapse. Always the first cause for investigation in Thailand. By the way you can see shoddy bridges and overpasses, unfinished roads, homes less then a few years old buckling and sloping from settling, I think we need to investigate Thai engineering. Or, maybe the workers, you know, the ones wearing slippers on the site? Now, should Thailand still go ahead in building their own nuclear power plant? Very sad.

Sad,

The thing that gets me is I recall there was a similar accident a few years ago in Pattaya while constructing a hotel, I do not fully blame the construction companies because it is clear that there is no government inspection to ensure safety.

If no inspection then up to company to make sure what they are building is on up and up, yes blame them.

BURAPHA U ACCIDENT

Building collapse not linked to corruption

By The Nation

Chon Buri

gallery_327_1086_27000.jpg

A Burapha University official denied speculation yesterday that corruption was behind the partial collapse of a building on Sunday night, which killed one worker and injured three others.

"It's not true," vice president Banpot Wiroonratch said.

"The Auditor-General's Office and the National Anti-Corruption Commission have closely monitored this construction project," he said.

The contractor might have done something wrong, he said.

Work on the building has been suspended pending probes by authorities into the cause of the cave-in.

Police Colonel Somchai Seutortrakoon, superintendent of Saen Suk Station, said police were now questioning people who had been injured.

"Five other people will be summoned, including the contractor," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-18