Half Thai Kids

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice here.

Myself, wife and 2 kids (half Thai) are travelling to the UK next month. My first son is 7 years old, entered Thailand 2 years ago on a British passport and a non-o visa, and I have done the yearly visa extension twice now. He is registered on the Tabien Baan, but I have never got round to doing a Thai passport.

I would like my eldest son to leave Thailand, then re-enter as a Thai, thus avoiding the visa extension process (which is due to be renewed in a couple of months time). Therefore, if I do a Thai passport for him, and he leaves Thailand on that, will he show as an overstay on the system ? Should he leave on the British passport then re-enter on the Thai ? Or can he leave on a Thai passport, enter the UK on his UK passport, and then re-enter Thailand on Thai passport ? I'm confused to say the least !

My second son is 7 months old, born here, hence not on any immigration system at all, and although registered on the Tabien Baan, has neither Thai/British passports. If I do a Thai and British passport, can he leave Thailand on the Thai passport, enter the UK on a British passport, then re-enter Thailand on the Thai passport ? If I do a UK passport and he tries to leave on that will this cause any problems, being as there are no entry stamps ?

I am confused as to the logistics/legality of travelling on 2 passports.

Basically, I want both kids to re-enter Thailand as Thai citizens to get out of the cycle of visa extensions.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

INTJ

Hi, I am roughly in the same mode you are. Our daughter is 3 and has a US and Thai passport. She has traveled often and here is what we have experienced:

a. Always, always, always have the child travel with both passports.

b. Use the thai passport for leaving and entering Thailand.

c. Use whatever passport you want or is easiest to entry the country you are traveling to.

d. When you get back to Thailand, you or your spouse will have to explain the circumstances of the travel and why there is no corrsponding entry/exit stamp in the thai passport from the country you just came from. Thai immigration officials have been understanding about this with us and have not given us a problem, except for one time detailed below.

e. show the airport check-in people in both thailand and the country traveled to the passport that you will use at the destination country. That will avoid them refusing the child boarding for lack of proper visas.

The first time our daughter came to northern Europe to visit me at my work, my wife used and brought only her US passport only, leaving her thai passport at home. For some reason the thai officials didn't say anything on her departure. Coming back to Bangkok it was a rather large problem.

When she came back, thai immigration made an entry into her US passport that she could only stay in Thailand until she was 13 years old. My wife told them that our daughter had a Thai passport, and they told her that was fine, but she had to go to the thai offices in the city to have the entry voided.

Everything turned out okay, but it took a couple visits to the thai immigration offices to rectify. Our daughter now has traveled multiple times outside the country without issues, but we go through the same process everytime. Each time coming in, my wife has to explain to the Thai officials about the lack of stamps in the thai passport. She also has to show them our daughter's US passport with the approriate entry exit chops that match the thai entry-exits and it is no big deal. Most countries don't like the idea of dual citizenship, but they do accept the idea that a person can be a citizen of two countries. It is not a crime to have two passports, as long as they are in the same name and there is no intent to engage in fraudulent behaviour.

I would not recommend your seven month old leaving on a trip without a passport. I don't believe they will even let you board the aircraft without one. Our daughter was able to get her thai and US passport before she was even one month old and recommend that you apply for a passport soonest.

Edited by redwooddrive

I second that reply.

our son always travels with his two passports. ALWAYS the thai passport to leave and enter the kingdom and the other western passport to travel abroad.

we always present his two passports at the immigration in bangkok, which seems to be standard procedure. havent been asked any questions so far.

Hi,

Thanks, very useful information there.

Just to clarify, I was not considering taking the baby without a passport :D

So it seems that I must do 2 Thai passports and 1 UK passport.

Theres something to look forward to :o

INTJ

Your second child might be easier to 'do' than your first.

If not born here, to get registered on the Tabien baan as a Thai National, I presume you went through all the necessary steps (certified translations of birth certificate, ntarisation and stamping at Dept of Consular Affairs, then visit to Immigration Dept (luuk krung/newly acquired nationality room) and had a letter from Immigration sent to your changwat confirming Thai Nationality, then a visit to your amphur for registration? If not, you will not get a Thai Passport.

Assuming nationality is confirmed (not merely residence as dependent of your wife on the tabien baan) take the newly issued Thai Passport and UK Passport to Immigration (same luuk krung room). They will put a stamp/statement in the UK Passport to the effect the child has Thai Nationality, and will cancel the previous entry stamp and any visa extension in the UK passport, declaring theholder travels on Thai Passport no xxxxxx. The child cannot then leave Thailand on the UK passport. Once done, the child is free to stay without visa, or to leave the country without any problems of overstay, travelling on the Thai Passport. That first exit stamp is quite important. It will save you any 'questions' on arrival back into Thailand.

We did this for our daughter some three years ago - she was here on a UK Passport, until her Thai Passport was issued. Since then, she has travelled in and out of Thailand on Thai Passport, and into UK and other countries on UK Passport.

NB: Make absolutely certain spelling (in English) in the Thai Passport matches exactly that in the UK Passport. Airlines, on check in, will want to see both passports, as the Thai Passport will not have a visa for the UK in it - but will have the deaprture stamp, and the airline is responsible for checking this!

Good luck.

If you have the time, head down to Suan Phlu and do what Dah Farang has recommended. If not, the following will work.

As oldest son is in Thailand on a British PP, he will have to leave on that PP, as that is the PP he entered on and still subject to the immigration rules of Thailand. Upon returning, he can re-enter on a Thai PP. There may be some questions as to why the child doesn't have an exit stamp from Thailand in the Thai PP, but simply explain why and that should be that.

As for the younger child, as they have never entered Thailand as a 'foreigner' they can leave Thailand on the Thai PP and re-enter Thailand on the Thai PP as well.

Of course, as British Citizens they are both able to enter the UK using their British Passports.

Dual citizenship is perfectly legal under Thai law, and in my experience the immigration officers at airports aren't particularly concerned about 'stamp trails'. I have dual nationality and have posted on this topic many times. You can do a search under my name if you have any more questions.

My second son is 7 months old, born here, hence not on any immigration system at all, and although registered on the Tabien Baan, has neither Thai/British passports. If I do a Thai and British passport, can he leave Thailand on the Thai passport, enter the UK on a British passport, then re-enter Thailand on the Thai passport ? If I do a UK passport and he tries to leave on that will this cause any problems, being as there are no entry stamps ? 

Hi all ......... my situation is similar, but different. My child will be born in Thailand next month, and will be eligibile for both British and Australian nationality, according to the respective embassies, due to my dual nationality. My wife is Thai, and we have applying for an Australian migration visa for her.

My problem is that I don't really want to go through all the red tape to get my daughter a Thai passport (which means she'll have 3 passports!) as we're migrating permanently to Oz ASAP. But if we try to take her out on her Oz passport, won't Thai Immigration say "where is her entry to stamp to Thailand"?

Any thoughts?

Hi all ......... my situation is similar, but different. My child will be born in Thailand next month, and will be eligibile for both British and Australian nationality, according to the respective embassies, due to my dual nationality. My wife is Thai, and we have applying for an Australian migration visa for her.

My problem is that I don't really want to go through all the red tape to get my daughter a Thai passport (which means she'll have 3 passports!) as we're migrating permanently to Oz ASAP. But if we try to take her out on her Oz passport, won't Thai Immigration say "where is her entry to stamp to Thailand"?

Any thoughts?

I would highly advise getting everything you can now as you never know - a year from now you may decide to return to Thailand. It is not a big deal and only costs about 1,000 baht.

I believe immigration can read the date/place of birth and place of issue to understand the child was not an illegal immigrant. :o

I’m with lopburi3 – Really not much work to get a Thai passport, and much easier to get it done now that you are in Thailand.

As far as leaving on a passport that is not Thai without an entry stamp. It will be pretty easy to explain to the folks at immigration. Easy for them to see your baby is indeed a young baby, and as long as the baby has a valid passport no problem.

Any thoughts?

bisou,

Will the birth cetificate show the child as a Thai citizen, if so then you can and should get both a Thai and an Aussie pasport whilst you're in the Kingdom. If the sutibat (Birth Certificate) is endorsed to the effect that the child is not a Thai citizen which is what happened to my daughter (due to me being outcountry when she was born) take it to the Oz embassy and obtain the Oz PP for the child. You will need to show both the Oz PP and the Sutibat to immigration when you exit Thailand. Getting a Thai PP for your daughter at a later date if required will be a little more complicted and probably more expensive. So if you can get one before you leave for Oz.

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice here.

Myself, wife and 2 kids (half Thai) are travelling to the UK next month. My first son is 7 years old,  entered Thailand 2 years ago on a British passport and a non-o visa, and I have done the yearly visa extension twice now. He is registered on the Tabien Baan, but I have never got round to doing a Thai passport.

I would like my eldest son to leave Thailand, then re-enter as a Thai, thus avoiding the visa extension process (which is due to be renewed in a couple of months time). Therefore, if I do a Thai passport for him, and he leaves Thailand on that, will he show as an overstay on the system ? Should he leave on the British passport then re-enter on the Thai ? Or can he leave on a Thai passport, enter the UK on his UK passport, and then re-enter Thailand on Thai passport ? I'm confused to say the least !

I am confused as to the logistics/legality of travelling on 2 passports.

Basically, I want both kids to re-enter Thailand as Thai citizens to get out of the cycle of visa extensions.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

INTJ

Hi my children are half Thai with both Thai & Canadian passports. On our last trip to Thailand our children entered THailand on their Thai passport and exited on their Thai passport. They were only asked for proof of entry into Canada by the airline, so they showed their Canadian passports to the airline.

Everything went smoothly.

• 3 months later...

Any thoughts?

FOLLOW-UP POSTING:

In case anyone is interested, we (me, my Thai wife and our Bangkok-born daughter) are now all happily in Oz.

We didn't end bothering to get her a Thai passport as that is merely a formality after she gets her Thai ID card when she turns 15, should we so desire. She already appears on a House Registration and birth certificate, so a Thai ID card will be no problem.

She was able to leave Thailand on her brand new Oz passport (with no Thai entry stamp as she was born in Bangkok) after we showed Immigration her birth certificate. They took us to one side, wrote out a departure card for her and stamped her passport with a few handwritten words added in Thai to the effect "born in Thailand". There were no problems at all, although I believe that it might have been more difficult if my wife (as the Thai parent) had not been with us.

I'll give a quick update, seeing as I was the original poster.

Absolutely no hassles at all. Got the Thai passports with no problems. There was a bit of explaining to do at departures, as my son (the one who was born here) and had no stamps whatsoever in either passport.

Both kids re-entered Thailand on Thai passports, and are out of the visa cycle.

Thanks to all who provided information.

INTJ.

• 12 years later...

Hello

Could somebody enlighten me to the procedure that dah farang mentions of getting onto my family tabien baan. 

I hold a Thai birth certificate, no Thai passport, 28 years old male,  currently living in Bangkok on an Education visa extension, half Thai and British, born in England.  

Thanks 

Edited by SimonR123

On 7/10/2005 at 2:51 PM, Dah fahrang said:

Your second child might be easier to 'do' than your first.

If not born here, to get registered on the Tabien baan as a Thai National, I presume you went through all the necessary steps (certified translations of birth certificate, ntarisation and stamping at Dept of Consular Affairs, then visit to Immigration Dept (luuk krung/newly acquired nationality room) and had a letter from Immigration sent to your changwat confirming Thai Nationality, then a visit to your amphur for registration? If not, you will not get a Thai Passport.

Assuming nationality is confirmed (not merely residence as dependent of your wife on the tabien baan) take the newly issued Thai Passport and UK Passport to Immigration (same luuk krung room). They will put a stamp/statement in the UK Passport to the effect the child has Thai Nationality, and will cancel the previous entry stamp and any visa extension in the UK passport, declaring theholder travels on Thai Passport no xxxxxx.

This is the post I'm referring to. My Thai certificate has all details in both English and Thai, it is from the London embassy.

I'm confused as to what I need stamped and notarized and translated. 

Also to get onto the tabieen baan do I need a full legalized English birth certificate as well?  

Thanks 

17 minutes ago, SimonR123 said:

Could somebody enlighten me to the procedure that dah farang mentions of getting onto my family tabien baan. 

I hold a Thai birth certificate, no Thai passport, 28 years old male,  currently living in Bangkok on an Education visa extension, half Thai and British, born in England.  

What he wrote over 13 years ago is not relevant to your situation plus many things have changed since this topic was started in July of 2005.

All you need is your Thai birth certificate to get a Thai ID number and be registered in a tambien ban at an Amphoe. You will need permission from the head of household shown the tambien ban and possibley some witnesses to vouch for your identity.

38 minutes ago, SimonR123 said:

I hold a Thai birth certificate, no Thai passport, 28 years old male,  

Be aware that if you are under 30 years old and you get registered on a thabien bahn, you are also eligible for the the draft. 

If you do it after you turn 30 they don't want you anymore. 

11 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Be aware that if you are under 30 years old and you get registered on a thabien bahn, you are also eligible for the the draft. 

If you do it after you turn 30 they don't want you anymore. 

I think at his age he could easily get a waiver from the draft since he was not registered at the age of 21 when the draw is done.

45 minutes ago, SimonR123 said:

Thanks for the updated procedure ubon Joe. 

Poorsucker thanks for the heads up. I'm currently studying a degree in Bangkok so I'm going to use that to delay it the 15 months till I'm 30 ☺ 

Now that you have replied I am going to lock this ancient topic so that others do not post on it.

Post a new topic if you have additional questions.

12 minutes ago, SimonR123 said:

Thanks for the updated procedure ubon Joe. 

Poorsucker thanks for the heads up. I'm currently studying a degree in Bangkok so I'm going to use that to delay it the 15 months till I'm 30 ☺ 

If you are studying at an university, you will get a waiver from the draft, so no problem starting the procedure now.