If I Didn'T Live In Chiang Mai,

WinnieTheKhwai

Where would you live if you didn't live in Chiang Mai?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now for actually voting in my own poll, I'm realizing it's a difficult one!

I think I would probably pick something within easy reach of both Bangkok, Suv Airport and Pattaya, mostly for work/business reasons.

Kanchanaburi also looks attractive.. but no airport.

Oh heck, it'd probably end up being Greater Pattaya, after which I would daily tell everyone on Thaivisa that I live there because of the good schooling options for kids. :( Man I'd seriously NOT look forward to raising a family there.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

If I left Chiang Mai and Thailand then I think I'd re-locate to Madrid, even though Im English, I don't think I'd go back to the UK at this stage in my life and I really enjoy the lifestyle in Madrid.

Aah Madrid:

Plaza Major

Retiro Park

Plaza de Cibeles

Plazxa de Espana

Prado Museum

Royal Palace

Gran Via

Alcala Gate

Almudena Cathedral

Las Ventas

Royal Botanical Garden

Royal Theater

Plaza de la Villa

Arco de la Victoria

Azca

Atocha Station

Reina Sofia National Museum

Puerta del Sol

Templo de Debod

Plaza de Colon

Palacio de Santa Cruz

City Hall

Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum

Loads of Restaurants, cafes, cinemas, clubs, markets and red hot women (with boobs)

Why on earth would you want this, when you can live in the second greatest city in the world and visit pseudo British pubs and Wat Prasing 7 days a week?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun WinnieTheKhwai,

Good poll, thanks !

We voted to live outside Thailand, but in Asia.

Two places in India come to mind:

Ootcamund, in the Nilgiri mountainous area in Tamil Nadu in southern India (the English referred to it as a "hill-station," nick-named "Ooty," because it's where the British colonial elite in South India sent the wives and children in the fierce Indian summer). It's about 2200 meters above sea-level, famous for its tea plantations.

Manali, in the Kulu Valley in the Himalayas, about 1950 meters up, in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Problem with Manali: too many old western hippies still stoned out of their brains (?).

But, we had such a wonderful time in Kunming, China, several years ago, that it has "stuck" in our minds as a place we'd like to live for a while.

At one point entertained the thought of Chiang Rai, but decided it just didn't have enough "culture."

Really love the countryside up around Mae Jun on the way to Mae Sai, and we also love the Chiang Dao area, but feel, since we do not currently have a SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) to guide us and discipline us to be other than the lazy sluggard two-selved-indulgent sloth that we are ... that we'd be too isolated in Chiang Dao.

best, ~o:37;

> Have you heard of Australia, thats in Europe somewhere north of Slovinea.

Ah.. Aren't you part of Asia now? :)

Sorry for omitting your continent..!

Good poll, thanks !

Manali, in the Kulu Valley in the Himalayas, about 1950 meters up, in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Problem with Manali: too many old western hippies still stoned out of their brains (?).

So, you'll fit right in then? :P

(Kidding, thanks for the friend-addition, graciously accepted! :wai: )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I love that whole stretch of Prachuap Kiri Kan.

Yes, including PKK town itself. It's a bit far away from everything else though. Thinking about it more I'd probably leave Thailand for Hong Kong or something.

You can't be serious about Hkg. I've lived there from 90-94 and recently 07-09 before moving to Bkk (I still go there every month for business). It's got nothing to offer that Bkk doesn't, BUT at three times the price!

Hard to select as it depends on my reasoning in any given year- job prospects, current job, business opportunities, schooling for child from previous marriage, how I feel- as from year to year I typically want a change even if just down the road or another challenge in work.

Work wise I would be taking more contracts in my trade, as a stock broker if I feeling that $$ No 1 priority- if No 1 priority my preferred lifestyle I would be stock broking for my trade and teaching as a hobby in CMai or near CMai. As I do now...

So depends on how I feel in any given moment, as I typically get bored easy. Not a fan of the rat race in Aussie however, yet worth a 6 month contract every so often to cash up. As for my money it is no use working all year long over there due to the amount of tax I will pay- work 6 months or less and nearly all the tax comes back. It always nice to get a $20,000 deposit from the tax department in my bank account. I never worked FT in corporate world in Aussie since 2003. As the last 6 months the majority of the time you working for the MAN (Being the government). 50% to THE MAN then 10% SUPER I will not see for 40+ years. As by the time I can access my SUPER the age limit probably 75yo. As they upped it to near 70yo now. I forsee the future as their not being such a thing as retirement.

Many feel they retired here already and I spent 3 years doing basically nothing several years ago when cashed up. Will not be doing that again, as you get over the drinking sessions and 'extras' after a while- and the scene becomes boring.

As they say are you simply waiting to die or living to live. I know CMai will always be in my Top 5- not too big and not too small (Just right).

Some feel it getting more expensive but I do not see this- job wise it is not so good yet that a sacrifice some of us need to make- the $$$ or the lifestyle. We all must make that choice in staying in the developing world... Yet some are lucky enough to make a good living and stay in the cities they love most.

I consider myself CMai, even though I currently in the outer countryside. I head back to the Condo in Cmai every chance I get...

I think certain areas in CMai are great for those of us whom a bit younger than the average and get out and about quite often- you name it and you can probably do it.

Chok Dee CMai- ans.

Although I will wish to venture out to see the action out in South America in the near future, as many mates claim it is GREAT.

:jap:

If I left Chiang Mai and Thailand then I think I'd re-locate to Madrid, even though Im English, I don't think I'd go back to the UK at this stage in my life and I really enjoy the lifestyle in Madrid.

Aah Madrid:

Plaza Major

Retiro Park

Plaza de Cibeles

Plazxa de Espana

Prado Museum

Royal Palace

Gran Via

Alcala Gate

Almudena Cathedral

Las Ventas

Royal Botanical Garden

Royal Theater

Plaza de la Villa

Arco de la Victoria

Azca

Atocha Station

Reina Sofia National Museum

Puerta del Sol

Templo de Debod

Plaza de Colon

Palacio de Santa Cruz

City Hall

Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum

Loads of Restaurants, cafes, cinemas, clubs, markets and red hot women (with boobs)

Why on earth would you want this, when you can live in the second greatest city in the world and visit pseudo British pubs and Wat Prasing 7 days a week?

Not forgetting ofcourse the fact that I can watch Real Madrid every other week, this has no influence at all in my decision. Sol is my favourite chill out spot, I love just people watching there. Can't wait until Xmas to be there again. (my family lives there now)

What is so HOT about Madrid- I noticed a couple of people mentioning Madrid as an option for Lifestyle- what is it... lively nightlife, women, low cost of living, the people, all of the above, etc or something else?

South America (Brazil) got my vote. A beautiful country with absolutely stunning, beautiful girls. Unfortunately the crime rate is rather high there.

I'm surprised a couple people mentioned Madrid. I lived in Spain for a while and loved the coast, the food, the lifestyle, etc... but absolutely hated dreary, congested Madrid.

Now Barcelona...maybe for a while. You can really get into some trouble there...what a fun place...for a while.

Good poll/topic WTK by the way!

Edited by elektrified

I love that whole stretch of Prachuap Kiri Kan.

Yes, including PKK town itself. It's a bit far away from everything else though. Thinking about it more I'd probably leave Thailand for Hong Kong or something.

You can't be serious about Hkg. I've lived there from 90-94 and recently 07-09 before moving to Bkk (I still go there every month for business). It's got nothing to offer that Bkk doesn't, BUT at three times the price!

Right, I'd go there to MAKE money, not spend it. :)

WTK.

• Like 1

I'm with Thai Miller on this one - if I had to move back to Europe, then it would definitely be Spain.

Have you been there since the start of the great recession, collapse of the building boom, and associated 45% youth unemployment ??

Cadiz appeared to have a lot of idle rough looking people on the streets which I dont remember from a couple of years ago. Things are tough in Spain right now.

South America (Brazil) got my vote. A beautiful country with absolutely stunning, beautiful girls. Unfortunately the crime rate is rather high there.

I'm surprised a couple people mentioned Madrid. I lived in Spain for a while and loved the coast, the food, the lifestyle, etc... but absolutely hated dreary, congested Madrid.

Now Barcelona...maybe for a while. You can really get into some trouble there...what a fun place...for a while.

Good poll/topic WTK by the way!

yah... i lived in brasil for 8 years, during the golden days of the 70's. Been back a couple of times since, and crime and drugs and gangs have ruined much of the great cities... however, i think some peace and happiness could still be found farther north (Recife) or so. But for now, CM is really where it is at for me - retired of course.

Interesting results so far.. Not really one choice that jumps out, although I suppose you could say that quite a few people would find somewhere with a beach, if you were to combine the options for the Gulf coast, Phuket and Island Life. Also a remarkably high number of votes for places outside Thailand. Another thing is that Pattaya doesn't get a lot of love which is perhaps remarkable because it's the most popular place for retired foreign residents outside of Bangkok. Let's give it a couple more days, then I'll summarize.

• Like 1

Interesting results so far.. Not really one choice that jumps out, although I suppose you could say that quite a few people would find somewhere with a beach, if you were to combine the options for the Gulf coast, Phuket and Island Life. Also a remarkably high number of votes for places outside Thailand. Another thing is that Pattaya doesn't get a lot of love which is perhaps remarkable because it's the most popular place for retired foreign residents outside of Bangkok. Let's give it a couple more days, then I'll summarize.

I correctly predicted your choice, knowing your desire to visit bars like A1 .... plenty of bars like that in Pattaya :rolleyes:

I've considered investing in Hermosillo, Sonora, MX, but gee whiz, about 25,000 murdered in the last three or four years of the drug war. They almost swear that they leave the Americans alone..... www.elimparcial.com

I'm actually heading back to CM soon, and did consider Chiang Rai. I also considered BKK, which I like, but for the food and drink and rent value; I will be returning to CNX. I value some great business relationships in CNX, and feel real good about handing them some THB for food and drink. A small but world class city. An outstanding place to telecommute for farangs.

It's hard for me to answer because I already have the best of two worlds. I spend 5 months in Thailand and 7 months sort of on Vancouver Island in Canada. I say sort of because I'm a bit of a vagabond and I travel around North America a bit on fishing trips. However, when I'm in Thailand I stay most of the time in Chiang Mai, but take frequent trips to other locations in Thailand. If it was a choice of picking one place in Thailand other than Chiang Mai it would be Kanchanaburi.

I correctly predicted your choice, knowing your desire to visit bars like A1 .... plenty of bars like that in Pattaya :rolleyes:

Eh, I voted: "Outside of Thailand, but in Asia". (Hong Kong most likely) Don't get me wrong I like Pattaya for the occasional beach holiday, but to actually live there while married with children.. I don't think so.

• Like 1