Translation & Legalization

eladblum

A few quick questions.

1. If I translate my son's birth certificate to English by myself (using a ready made sample), what are the chances of getting it approved and legalized?

2. How long does it take them to do it? (assuming that I'll be there when they open and will pay the express fee)

Thanks a lot.

BIRTH1.doc

I wouldn't.

I did that myself once (some tax return docs) and found two things:

1) If it comes from a recognised translator the legalisation dept usually stamp it as they trust the translator

2) If it doesn't come from them they'll nitpick over the words you've used for translation. You probably don't know, but when it comes to official translations, there is generally a certain word they will accept as the translated word, any deviation won't be accepted.

Having said that, I got mine approved, basically as I got sent to the bosses room and argued my case. She tried to give me a range of excuses why she couldn't (this was all in Thai) and it was only after I pulled out my govt ID card she caved in (we like to help each other out...).

Cop the 400 baht per page or whatever it is, save yourself the stress.

The thing is, I've downloaded the sample form from the Vancouver Thai Consulate's website. I'm in Phitsanulok and translations over here are crap!

I can get them to stamp my translation, think it will do?

The point is I have only Friday to get everything done. Legalize the birth certificate and then go to the embassy to apply for a passport.

Don't want to wait too long before I submit the paper for legalization.

Unless the translation office outside the Ministry of foreign affairs opens early in the morning before the legalization department does.

Edited by eladblum