Most Thai People Prefer 'None Of The Above'

webfact

THAI TALK

Most people prefer 'none of the above'

By Suthichai Yoon

The Nation

YOU NORMALLY can't take so-called public opinion polls seriously, especially if the subject concerns a prevailing political mood that can change overnight or be manipulated by pollsters and politicians.

But I found the latest opinion survey conducted by Abac Poll intriguing, to say the least. It provided an interesting twist: 21.2 per cent of respondents say they support the government, while 17 per cent say they don't back this administration. But a whopping 61.8 per cent gave a deafening "none of the above" reply.

The 21.2 per cent support for the government didn't surprise me. It's not fashionable to be seen as cheering on a government that doesn't seem sure whether it wants to be a populist political force or one that is seriously advocating a welfare state. In fact, you can't find anyone in the Cabinet capable of explaining the difference between the two.

Also, there is a paradox here. A Thai may tell you that he or she likes Premier Abhisit Vejjajiva, but may also say that he or she can't stand this government. The poll didn't pose this question, but from my own personal survey, a lot of Thais who are disillusioned with coalition politics have tried to draw a line between what constitutes the coalition government and the man leading it.

It's as if the electorate is convinced that the coalition doesn't deserve this PM, or probably vice versa. But when forced to tolerate this kind of bizarre situation, all they can say is: Can we have a prime minister with a different coalition?

Put another way, the same question could well be re-worded as follows: Why does a good prime minister produce such a mediocre coalition government?

The 17 per cent who said they couldn't care less for the Abhisit government did strike me as strange. I had thought that the number opposed to the establishment would have been much higher. After all, the number of current scandals seems to me to be in proportion to the number of non-performing Cabinet members.

But the reason for the low disapproval rating for the government (only 17 per cent) is probably that the alternative could be worse. Of course, that's only my guess. But it's a calculated and deliberate guess, having taken into consideration the next figure produced by the same poll: The shocking 61.8 per cent who don't want any of the existing parties.

What does that tell us? My own interpretation is that my fellow citizens simply don't know what the hell is happening in the country's political landscape. They don't know whether to like or dislike the government, or the opposition, or the various pressure groups making competing noises.

Most of us may find the Abhisit government weak, inefficient and lacklustre. Under normal circumstances, we would be calling upon the opposition to take over, to prove that they could do a better job. Or a determined electorate would be calling for a new election tomorrow to usher in a new government.

But there seems to be a sense of nervousness about the idea of a new election. Based on what can be assessed from the available evidence, most people simply can't be sure that today's opposition, as the next government, would be a big leap forward. On the contrary, the lingering fear is that things could get worse - much worse.

That explains why the 61 per cent, when asked what they think of the current state of affairs (good, bad, so-so?) simply gave no definite response. While a year or so ago they used to be quite vocal about their political convictions, now the majority of ordinary people simply aren't sure what to think or who they can rely on.

One poll analyst describes this 61.8 per cent "no response" group as the "silent majority". I doubt that they willingly want to be silent. The fact may be more brutal and painful than that: We have all been left dumbstruck by our politicians - left, right and centre.

"None of the above" could mean we just don't give a hoot about politics anymore. But it's a dangerous situation when our fellow countrymen now choose - when it comes to politics - either one extreme of total indifference, or the other extreme of violence.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-19

I get the majority not giving a hoot, but not in awe like the writer. That much is common knowledge. He is Thai, right?

It is the 'not give a hoot, anymore" that puzzles. anymore? Does a the writer know a time when the majority of Thais were, or even felt, they were, involved in running the country?

It should read they give a hoot, as usual.

None of the above or even better none of the below would be a voting option on ballot papers that few countries would like to see. It would be a good idea though. You could even have groups campaign for it and it would be a challenge to the institutionalised parties that govern most countires and that do not represent peiople's interests. How many currently vote for the best of a bunch of poor options rather than someone they want?

There is no big surprise here. It's only the usual Thai response to most issues -- the response is " I don't care "

The elite, who care, are the 21.2 % who support the govenment. The militant government haters are the 17 %.

The others ( 61.8 %) all feel out of touch, and have no sense of control or responsibility -- they are disconnected from the process -- so, they simply do not care !

Edited by tigermonkey

"<span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 21px; ">The major parties and their leaders in those places fail to inspire, too. "</span><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 21px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 21px; "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 21px; ">very difficult to get honest persons ( no personal agenda )  to run for any meaningful office</span></div>

Khun Suthichai is fairly well on the mark with the interpretation of a poll.

The 61% of Thai people prefer a dull administration as opposed to the disparity and bloodshed that occured in Thailand recently.

That will not last forever unfortunately as there is still a huge disparity in lifestyle and conditions within one country.

I dont condone their actions in torching Central World etc but I can understand why their frustrations boiled over.

These guys have to eat lizards and borrow rice in a lot of cases to survive on a daily basis.When there is an offer to be paid protestors they will jump in,and think they can and probably will change the political situation.

Thai Rak Thai is a misnomer for the previous Mr T who created a welfare dependency situation and then put it to his own personal agenda.

The 21.2 per cent support for the government didn't surprise me. It's not fashionable to be seen as cheering on a government that doesn't seem sure whether it wants to be a populist political force or one that is seriously advocating a welfare state.

Not "appearing to be fashionable" could be a result of the persons taking part in the poll, thinking that their opinion could be 'recorded'.

Also, there is a paradox here. A Thai may tell you that he or she likes Premier Abhisit Vejjajiva, but may also say that he or she can't stand this government. The poll didn't pose this question, but from my own personal survey, a lot of Thais who are disillusioned with coalition politics have tried to draw a line between what constitutes the coalition government and the man leading it.

I think this indicates that the poll was not properly thought out OR it was intended to gain responses toward a certain direction.

Disregarding all of this, where did The Nation get these 'poll results'? I'd love to see these 'results' publicised in full.

Probably the only relevant piece to come out of The Nation in over a year. Now if only Sitichai...... yes the owner.... could get his staff to see both sides of politics for what they aren't. The Army run the F8king place!

I think you'll find Khun Sutichai is gently preparing you, dear reader, for the next coup.Constitutional Reboot ;):whistling:

"Please remain seated and fasten your seatbelts as we are passing through some bumpy air" :jap:

Edited by seri thai

And who is to blame for the endless coalition governments that have cheated, swindled and murdered their way through Thai political history? If we listened to many here we'd be under the illusion that the common Thai is powerless to change his destiny, must put up with all these corrupt MP's, their cronies and their proxies, and is most unhappy about this. But here's the rub; at every election, and there have been quite a few since the restoration of democracy in 1988, these same unhappy people go out and vote for these same corrupt politicians. The short term gain of a few hundred baht, a pair of sandals and/or a bottle of fish sauce is taken every time over an informed choice to pick the candidate for the party that looks most likely to be able to form a stable government and do the best for the country. The Thaksin years were a continuation of the same, with the only difference being that he bought out those same old corrupt politicians, and in turn their bought out voters. Even at the height of his popularity he knew he couldn't field a team of fresh new candidates, he wouldn't have got the votes. Who's to blame for that? The same Thai voting public that takes the money, whether it be from the corrupt politician to vote for him or the corrupt red leader to join his protest, over the reasoned choice every time it's offered. Until this changes Thailand is destined to remain a country known for fractuous, divided, corrupt governments with no real power, or desire, to make a difference to the ruling order. Imagine a truly popular government, with the power to put the civil and military powers in their correct place. Should a coup take place in those circumstances then the majority of the country would be up in arms against it, something never seen before here (although maybe touched upon in 1992). Until the Thai voters make it clear that they won't tolerate corrupt politicians they have no one else to blame for the state of the country.

Khun Suthichai is fairly well on the mark with the interpretation of a poll.

The 61% of Thai people prefer a dull administration as opposed to the disparity and bloodshed that occured in Thailand recently.

That will not last forever unfortunately as there is still a huge disparity in lifestyle and conditions within one country.

I dont condone their actions in torching Central World etc but I can understand why their frustrations boiled over.

These guys have to eat lizards and borrow rice in a lot of cases to survive on a daily basis.When there is an offer to be paid protestors they will jump in,and think they can and probably will change the political situation.

Thai Rak Thai is a misnomer for the previous Mr T who created a welfare dependency situation and then put it to his own personal agenda.

How can "frustrations boil over" into a very premeditated (and sponsored) attack?