Ownership Of Motorcycle

Colabamumbai

No and No.

She is a liar and knows it, same as most Thai's. Buy the bike, put it in your name and get a new wife while you are at it, plenty to choose from. Sorry mate.

That is the great thing about these forums, helps to stop the Thai cheating ways via information from other ex pats.

If I remember correctly, copy passport and a letter of residence from immigration. I have been told you can even buy on a tourist visa now, someone will let us now via the forum, I am sure.

Edited by pattayabuggy

1. Certificate of Residency from Immigration. 500 baht.

2. Copy of passport.

3. Bike is in your name.

I got an immigration letter just recently, only 200B, are you sure you paid 500B? Which office was that from?

Chiang Mai charges 500 baht. I do not pay. I have a yellow house book.:D

2. Copy of passport.

3. Bike is in your name.

Thank you. What paper work do I need to take to immigration to get a certificate of residency, besides copy of passport.?

Would my internet bill showing my house address be sufficient for immigration, plus passport and copy?

2. Copy of passport.

3. Bike is in your name.

Thank you. What paper work do I need to take to immigration to get a certificate of residency, besides copy of passport.?

Would my internet bill showing my house address be sufficient for immigration, plus passport and copy?

Most Immigration require copy of Tabien Baan, and if any resident in Tabien Baan, 1st resident must confirm and sign you living there

If you bring your wife to bike shop, they may tell you its impossible to have it in your name, which is bullsh-t.

No and No.

She is a liar and knows it, same as most Thai's. Buy the bike, put it in your name and get a new wife while you are at it, plenty to choose from. Sorry mate.

That is the great thing about these forums, helps to stop the Thai cheating ways via information from other ex pats.

If I remember correctly, copy passport and a letter of residence from immigration. I have been told you can even buy on a tourist visa now, someone will let us now via the forum, I am sure.

Pattayabuggy... Pattaya is not Thailand. Its pattaya. Its some times better to think of it like another country (a nasty, dirty version of the real Thailand )

I dont think its so much LIAR but misinformed. Most Thais just listen to what another thai says and thats gospel. But normally wrong or out of date. My girlfriend said that i could not transfer the bike at a different LT office to the one its registered at . but off course you can. I told her a friend did it recently she made a phone call the next day to the local LT office and apologised for misinforming me.

Edited by thaicbr

hi,

i have done this recently,

i took my passport and my house rent agreement letter asked immigration for certificate of residence - they gave me an application form and ther'es a photo copy service for anything they require, i was on a tourist visa .

when i registered my motorbike they only kept a photo copy of the certificate and i used the original to get a driving licence couple of days later.

i think there's other documents that you can use instead of rent agreement letter also .

also you need some photos.

good luck,

chris

2. Copy of passport.

3. Bike is in your name.

Most Immigration require copy of Tabien Baan, and if any resident in Tabien Baan, 1st resident must confirm and sign you living there

If you bring your wife to bike shop, they may tell you its impossible to have it in your name, which is bullsh-t.

Thanks for all the correct information. I tried to get added to the Tambien Baan yesterday here in Korat, at the Amphur thinking that it might help with the licence process and the woman in the office told me that I had to go to my embassy and get some kind of an affidavit from them before I could be added to the house book, would that be correct to add me to the house book? I understand I don't after your reply, just take here and the Tambien Baan.

Most Immigration require copy of Tabien Baan,

I've lived here for years and never gotten a 'Tambien Baan'.. though I suppose I would like to (I live alone of course). When I've bought motorbikes the dealer was able to get the book registered in my name with just copy of passport (I suspect representatives of large motorbike dealers have a lot more luck at the government office then an individual farang would).

I've lived here for years and never gotten a 'Tambien Baan'.. though I suppose I would like to (I live alone of course). When I've bought motorbikes the dealer was able to get the book registered in my name with just copy of passport (I suspect representatives of large motorbike dealers have a lot more luck at the government office then an individual farang would).

You can make this time consuming and expensive or quick and cheap. The easy way -- you will need/get a letter of residency from Thai Immigration. They (at least in Pattaya) require (1) your passport with copies of the front page and entry stamp showing how long you are permitted to remain in Thailand; (2) your blue book for the house you live in/"own" or your rental agreement for your residence; (3) if the house book is in a company name (your name will not appear in the blue book in such a case), bring a recent electric bill or telephone bill with your name on it to show the connection to the house/residence; (4) completed application form; and (5) 2 recent pictures and the required fee (here, it is B200. Residence letter will be ready to be picked up in 24 hours. A tourist visa (or no visa if you are "visa exempt") is satisfactory to receive the residency letter. Note that if the motorbike is new (unregistered) the shop where you buy it will look to see how much more time (from the date of purchase) you are allowed to stay. If it is less than about 30 days they will suggest that, to allow for processing of the bike registration, you get the letter immediately when you next come to Thailand. In the meantime, they will sell you the bike, give you a red plate and a bill of sale, and your off....

But that only works when buying new not private sales..

No and No.

Pattayabuggy... Pattaya is not Thailand. Its pattaya. Its some times better to think of it like another country (a nasty, dirty version of the real Thailand )

I dont think its so much LIAR but misinformed. Most Thais just listen to what another thai says and thats gospel. But normally wrong or out of date. My girlfriend said that i could not transfer the bike at a different LT office to the one its registered at . but off course you can. I told her a friend did it recently she made a phone call the next day to the local LT office and apologised for misinforming me.

Yeah I just had some friends do it also, at a fee of 10000 baht each......ouch.....

usually dealers use their own adress/Tabien Baan if farang cant supply needed docs.

10k to move province ??

Your getting fleeced !!

Guess I misunderstood what the op was saying, thought he transfer (ownership) of the bike at local TL office instead of the one the book with registered with. that is what cost my friends 10K, so they did not have to go to the other province.

10k to move province ??

Your getting fleeced !!

yepp, less than 1k baht including inspection, new reg # in book and new plate, and its a very simple procedure

That is the price if you do it yourself. Transfer to the new province is not required, it is strictly a convenience issue when transferring ownership, you can do the annual registration in another province from the place of original registration. When transfering ownership, if it registered in a different province, you need to go to the motor vechile department in the province where it was originally registerd. That may be pretty far away, and if you don't want to do it yourself, you will need to pay someone to do it for you. That won't be free. I purchased a big bike that is registered in Bangkok with a Bangkok plate. I live in Pattaya. I paid B4,000 to a service that took the Greenbook to Bangkok and arranged for the transfer of ownership, a B3000 premium/commission, which I did not feel was unreasonable (I was told I could have the registration transfered to Pattaya for B1,900 more, I declined -- I like the BKK plate). I agree that B10,000 is high, but if I was in CM and the bike was registered in Bangkok, all done for B10,000 wouldn't be so bad.

Edited by Thailaw

10k to move province ??

Your getting fleeced !!

yepp, less than 1k baht including inspection, new reg # in book and new plate, and its a very simple procedure

That is the price if you do it yourself. Transfer to the new province is not required, it is strictly a convenience issue when transferring ownership, you can do the annual registration in another province from the place of original registration. When transfering ownership, if it registered in a different province, you need to go to the motor vechile department in the province where it was originally registerd. That may be pretty far away, and if you don't want to do it yourself, you will need to pay someone to do it for you. That won't be free. I purchased a big bike that is registered in Bangkok with a Bangkok plate. I live in Pattaya. I paid B4,000 to a service that took the Greenbook to Bangkok and arranged for the transfer of ownership, a B3000 premium/commission, which I did not feel was unreasonable (I was told I could have the registration transfered to Pattaya for B1,900 more, I declined -- I like the BKK plate). I agree that B10,000 is high, but if I was in CM and the bike was registered in Bangkok, all done for B10,000 wouldn't be so bad.

So you are saying that you can have the registration (book) transfered to a new province?? do you have to go to the province where registered to do that or the new province??

10k to move province ??

Your getting fleeced !!

Not correct

You can purchase a vehicle anywhere in LOS, present book at your local LTD, they request transfer from registered province LTD, documents arrive your local LTD within 7 days, inspect vehicle, have new plate issued and new number on books front page. Fees less than 1k baht. Done it several times.

Law requires vehicle to be registered where you live, for farang thats where you report to Immigration you live. Seems no problem to not go by the book on this one

buy a tourist visum Easy, 4 x 90 days is 120 Euros, if I recall it. 60 days was 25, I think. There are Honorary Consulates in European cities. Send them the passport with cash, photos and an application and a SASE and your passport will be returned a few days later.

I don't care about the registration, except the government agency keeps rejecting the Phuket seller's docs. Months went by and I'm very unhappy about this. We hired a company to do the transfer. :angry: One thing about Thailand is that often conflicting answers might be true. Some things take a week or if you get help, a few hours. Some offices accept stuff others won't.

10k to move province ??

Your getting fleeced !!

Not correct

You can purchase a vehicle anywhere in LOS, present book at your local LTD, they request transfer from registered province LTD, documents arrive your local LTD within 7 days, inspect vehicle, have new plate issued and new number on books front page. Fees less than 1k baht. Done it several times.

Law requires vehicle to be registered where you live, for farang thats where you report to Immigration you live. Seems no problem to not go by the book on this one

I second Kata's post, and it is fairly easy really...sometimes it seems that foreigners here "fearing" the dlt (or ltd) , if you have a 100% legal bike to transfer/register it is no problem, as long as you bring the paperwork requested. If you really need someone to do it for you...maybe ask some thai person to help( wife, gf ) .... if you wish to use an agent up-to-you but it really is not necessary IMO.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Edited by Tigersachsclub

'When transferring ownership, if it registered in a different province, you need to go to the motor vehicle department in the province where it was originally registered"

This is what most Thais will tell you. But it is not correct (i think they changed the rules years ago).

Tony (bigbikebkk) has sold and bought numerous bikes and transfered at his local LTD for bikes bought elsewhere or at the buyers LTD for BKK bikes. So if you are paying anyone to do it for you your mad. unless its the local insurance guy cos you haven't got time (100-150b) 

PS. One thing to remember though IF you have a grey book then it WOULD be advisable to transfer at the registered LTD. As they are very unlikely to cause a problem.

'When transferring ownership, if it registered in a different province, you need to go to the motor vehicle department in the province where it was originally registered"

This is what most Thais will tell you. But it is not correct (i think they changed the rules years ago).

Tony (bigbikebkk) has sold and bought numerous bikes and transfered at his local LTD for bikes bought elsewhere or at the buyers LTD for BKK bikes. So if you are paying anyone to do it for you your mad. unless its the local insurance guy cos you haven't got time (100-150b)

PS. One thing to remember though IF you have a grey book then it WOULD be advisable to transfer at the registered LTD. As they are very unlikely to cause a problem.

Another advantage to transfer at registered LTD, is to become legal owner asap. It takes almost 2 weeks in total to do it at your local LTD, and in the meanwhile previuos owner can die, get deported, thai change id card or whatever

what is a grey book????