Jonway Motorcycles Enters The Thai Market

Richard-BKK

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting news Richard,

So we got more selection of scooters coming...not really what i was craving for :unsure:.

I heard this name Jonway in connection of Cars before and in connection of a Motorbike that was sold here as Gusto Rumba ( looked like a copy of an BMW Bike) , but the gusta rumba was to my understanding sold through JRD dealers.

Which raises the question ...is JRD and Jonway in "partnership" or associated?

You know more about this?

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

So we got more selection of scooters coming...not really what i was craving for :unsure:.

I heard this name Jonway in connection of Cars before and in connection of a Motorbike that was sold here as Gusto Rumba ( looked like a copy of an BMW Bike) , but the gusta rumba was to my understanding sold through JRD dealers.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

The link between the Gusto Rumba and JRD was/is (I belief) more a connection what starts with Scooter Arena Co. Ltd, the Thai distributor of JRD motorcycles.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Gusta rumba..................... what a fuc_king horrible looking bike. and from what i read just as reliable. Hope things have got better. AS Mbox says more scooters . oh goody NOT

I thought Jonways factory was in China???

Add:Lunan Yongyuan Industrial Zone, Luqiao District,Taizhou, Zhejiang, China

Tel:+86-576-82448666 82555888 Fax:+86-576-82423618

I guess they branched out in 2010!

Hi BSJ,

In the news clip they say the Jonway head-office is in China, but we can see the development of motorcycle companies merging together as it becoming more and more difficult to survive the highly competitive motorcycle market.

I think your right Richard. I came across them last year on Alibaba when I was looking for models I could comply here. After finding out how many Chinese bikes/scooters were here already...or on the way I dropped any ideas about importing them!

I think your right Richard. I came across them last year on Alibaba when I was looking for models I could comply here. After finding out how many Chinese bikes/scooters were here already...or on the way I dropped any ideas about importing them!

If you still want to setup your motorcycle distribution company in Thailand I can introduce you to a few very interested and serious Koreans.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Gusta rumba..................... what a fuc_king horrible looking bike. and from what i read just as reliable. Hope things have got better. AS Mbox says more scooters . oh goody NOT

Here is a link to the Jonway "Thunder" aka "Gusta Rumba" ...i must admit i never seen it in real but looking at the picures it looked "special".....there was one forum member he actually got the gusta rumba...i think geoffphuket? Would like to know if it is still running?

http://sa.jonway.com/english/productShow.asp?id=92

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

It looks better in metallic-gray, I only seen a purple one (200cc) in Thailand. On the Jonway website I only see 150 or 250cc... So yes 250cc in gray looks more like a "Thunder", while the purple one I only saw in Thailand had more something of a exotic cocktail or a Latina dance... motorcycle was probably the last thing I would think with Gusta Rumba... :D :D :D

Now I cannot remember the specs of the Gusta Rumba, but was that an automatic, because the YY250 aka Thunder is located under the scooter selection and in the specs I cannot find anything about the transmission...

Edited by Richard-BKK

here we have a picture of the Gusta Rumba ...a older thread here: http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__1989568

what surprises me...jonway comes with scooters only, but the "jonway thunder" aka "Gusta Rumba" will not be sold from them...kind of confusing really.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Edited by Tigersachsclub

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Here is a link to the Jonway "Thunder" aka "Gusta Rumba" ...i must admit i never seen it in real but looking at the picures it looked "special".....there was one forum member he actually got the gusta rumba...i think geoffphuket? Would like to know if it is still running?

http://sa.jonway.com/english/productShow.asp?id=92

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Hands in the air, I am that man!! ....and yes it's still running beautifully and used daily. Of course, the odd bit drops off every so often, but what good is a motorbike if you don't have to tinker with it every now and then....ask any old British biker :lol:

Hi

I wish i could say wow good news, but i can’t, not when coming from China, seems like a lot of you guys is falling on you back every time there is something coming out of China, but WHERE is the bikes, i never see them, how many of these "good for the money" bikes sell in Thailand? i never see Thai riding them, well again i never see these bikes. Do you guys get money for writing about these bikes, remember last year there was also a NEW bike coming to Thailand, did it come??

I´ve made a testride with a Rumba Gusto in Chiang Mai 2 years ago. It had a normal gearbox and the bike was shit. The engine is very very noisy and rough. Remenber it´s a 2cylinder, not a single. And on the HW it was like in the 70ths with my old GT250. You needed the whole wide of a 3lane motorway. I brought it back to the shop with the knowledge: Never again!:bah::bah:

Hi

I wish i could say wow good news, but i can’t, not when coming from China, seems like a lot of you guys is falling on you back every time there is something coming out of China, but WHERE is the bikes, i never see them, how many of these "good for the money" bikes sell in Thailand? i never see Thai riding them, well again i never see these bikes. Do you guys get money for writing about these bikes, remember last year there was also a NEW bike coming to Thailand, did it come??

Don't shot the messenger, I only tell what's happening. The fact is that Thailand has a free-trade-agreement with China and it includes motorcycles up to 250cc. To be honest I not belief that Jonway is the last manufacturer to enter the Thai market.

Sorry, to say, but honestly – Jonway is now 4 days doing business in Thailand and so far as I can tell they not even unfolded plans to setup a dealer network or started advertising – it's not a very intelligent comment to say you “never see them”.

Any idea on pricing?

I saw 3 bike in a show room on Sap Road (between SiPraya Road & Surawong Road).

It was inside a shop windows. Does not look like a quality product to me.

Nope, completely no idea about the prices.

Hi

Well these "news" always come from Richard-BKK. I don't know what's up with it, I guess it's press releases and statements of intent, that then often don't really add up to much.

Thais are not big fans of Chinese - or unknown - brands and who can blame them if you look at the history with JRD, Platinum etc. Most of these bikes have died within the first few years of ownership.

IMO you can safely dismiss any news about any chinese scooter manufacturer entering the market. They'd have to be something really special to make an impact here. They'd have to have great quality, great marketing, good prices, and even if they have all that they'd have to stick around for a few years. Thais are pretty happy with their Hondas.

Hi

Well these "news" always come from Richard-BKK. I don't know what's up with it, I guess it's press releases and statements of intent, that then often don't really add up to much.

Thais are not big fans of Chinese - or unknown - brands and who can blame them if you look at the history with JRD, Platinum etc. Most of these bikes have died within the first few years of ownership.

IMO you can safely dismiss any news about any chinese scooter manufacturer entering the market. They'd have to be something really special to make an impact here. They'd have to have great quality, great marketing, good prices, and even if they have all that they'd have to stick around for a few years. Thais are pretty happy with their Hondas.

Sorry if I rubbed your hair's the wrong way. I had the idea that some people on this forum would like to know the stuff happening in the Thai motorcycle business, guess I was wrong...

– it's not a very intelligent comment to say you “never see them”.

he he i never said i was intelligent, but i don’t see them, i live in Phuket, don’t think many people down here ride these bikes, BTW they are dam_n ugly, what’s that they have parked on the tank on one of them, a ball crusher

[]

Hi

I wish i could say wow good news, but i can't, not when coming from China, seems like a lot of you guys is falling on you back every time there is something coming out of China, but WHERE is the bikes, i never see them, how many of these "good for the money" bikes sell in Thailand? i never see Thai riding them, well again i never see these bikes. Do you guys get money for writing about these bikes, remember last year there was also a NEW bike coming to Thailand, did it come??

Yes it is still coming, very soon. You may not be aware, but the world has just experienced a slight economical hickup. I believe altered the plans of many companies (and people) worldwide

China now produces more vehicals than any other country in the world........I guess there must be a few people like them, think price and quality is ok?? I dont know the percentage but it includes a thriving export market also, not soley sold in China. What do you think of BMW as a brand? They are now made in China, as are many other well known upper market vehicals.. China leads the world in electric scooters and motorbikes, Honda are only now starting to play catch up. Im sure Honda will come out with a great product, when it eventually reaches the market. Afterall, they have many products (Chinese) to evaluate (copy) to find all the good points. We will all be riding electric vehicals Bikes and cars in the not too distant future.

Last night I needed to do some reearch on what electric cars were available, I was staggered by the sheer numbers (hundreds) of different brands available, mostly Chinese (production exceeding 100,000 a year)

Its good that the likes of Richard-BKK has the wider interests that he becomes aware of the news releases and good enough to pass them on. Some of us are interested, those that arent dont need to read them??

Thais are not big fans of Chinese - or unknown - brands

Im sure Thai people also had the same reaction to Honda when they first apeared on the market. It wasnt so many years ago that Honda was an unknown brand, Check out the bikes that Honda opened the market with, Im sure you wouldnt buy one of those now either!!! It took Honda (Japananese products) 40 years to lift quality and actually break into the market. China has done that in 5 to 10 years, at least 4 times faster than Japan. Chinese rail and bus systems are now clearly ahead of the market.

Sorry if I rubbed your hair's the wrong way. I had the idea that some people on this forum would like to know the stuff happening in the Thai motorcycle business, guess I was wrong...

Richard-BKK, Yes you are correct in your thoughts, I and Im sure the majority in this forum, wecome info on the "happenings" in the Thai market, We read and make up our own thoughts on what we do with the info. We dont always agree with points of view expressed, (as you have with me) but educated enough to express a differeing point of view without "rubbishing"

As I mentioned in another thread, every new bike in the market is a "winner for the Thai consumer" More compition lifts quality, lowers prices and gives more choice. Let the best products win.

We choose to buy what we consider best fits our needs, whether that be based on style, quality, price, performance, whatever? No one product fits all....thank heavens.

Edited by visions
  • Like 1

Thanks for the support, I never promote one single manufacturer. And if a product from any manufacturer is crap you can be sure that I will make it well-known.

If you ask me, are those Jonway scooters any good? I would need to tell you that I honestly don't know – I wasn't allowed near the scooters (or was that I was not allowed near the girls).

They had a 150cc scooter that looked like something some teenagers would find exciting. Once my old Japanese boss told me Thai people are married to Honda... love Yamaha and huge Suzuki... and somehow Kawasaki tried to fit somewhere in that picture... And currently Kawasaki surrendered and pulled out of the Thai scooter and underbone scooter and motorcycle market. But the only way you can crack the pot is to speak to the imagination of a large group who doesn't found love yet, and if a motorcycle/scooter manufacturer can provide teenagers with a two-wheeler, reasonable in price, which beats all other sporty scooters they have a market.

Ask any average Thai teenager, here is a Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135, does speeds over 110km/h and if you hold the throttle open it eventually go's up to 130km/h, or here is a Lifan LF250T 250cc which has almost twice the power of the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance and you easily do speeds near 160km/h and none of your friends scooters will accelerate from a traffic light like you can... And then the love for brands like Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki seems not that strong and when you offer a test ride and the kids do a few rounds on a parking lot you have a sell. But often the parents need to finance the sale so the difficult questions come... But how long will it take for big companies like Lifan or Zongshen to answer the questions about service and warranty?

I didn't say - or mean to imply - that you shouldn't post these news here. All I said is that these press releases (are they press releases?) often don't add up to much. No hairs have been rubbed the wrong way.

Have you seen any JRDs lately? Platinums? I haven't. The shops are gone (at least here in Chiang Mai). The scooters/bikes are rare. In the case of Platinum undoubtedly because they've all fallen apart. I have never seen a Lifan shop.

And currently Kawasaki surrendered and pulled out of the Thai scooter and underbone scooter and motorcycle market

Huh? not sure what you mean by Kawasaki having pulled out of the motorcycle market. Scooters, OK - but they're doing thriving business with the KSRs and their bigger bikes. Unlike those many new entrants in the market, I actually see Kawa dealers and kawa bikes every day. Maybe it's a northern thing.

Edited by nikster

Hello

I am one of those people who like to read news from the motor world. This world is bigger then the HD's and the Ducati's. Some people still live in the 5o ties and don't want to see that there is happening a lot around them. I did stop commenting or sending in material because of this "old" people. Always comments on every thing but seldom a real contribution to this forum.

If you like it or not China is the workshop from the world now days with many interesting developments. That the quality is not that what we are used to get from the Japanese factories is just a question from time.

From me Richard BKK please don t stop with bringing news and let the oldies grumble and mumble. That is all they can.

Regards

DutchRdam :jap:

Have you seen any JRDs lately? Platinums? I haven't. The shops are gone (at least here in Chiang Mai). The scooters/bikes are rare. In the case of Platinum undoubtedly because they've all fallen apart. I have never seen a Lifan shop.

Everyday is see a Platinum DJ 150/8 ......... mine Platinum i see every day and must say that after almost 50.000 km i still drive on the factory tires, the engine never did stop, the paint still is on the place and the chrome still shine without a trail of fallen off parts or costly repairs.

With regards

DutchRdam :jap:

• Like 2

Hi

Dont know if you get it, i dont care if BMW is made in China its a BMW, and that mean BMW is there. OK??? but you come up with a gusta rumba or that joyway or whatever they call them, what do you think people will buy, a Honda made in China or a Gusta whatever made in China, thats my point, and yes they sell well, how many people live in China and India some of the people cant afford a Honda so what do they buy? You tell me

I did not try but maybe Google one of these China names and see where they sell

BTW i have a BMW,,,,made in Thailand

Forgot to say that i acutely do care if it’s made in China, but i guess that BMW is made to German and BMW standard, i don’t think that these bikes that have terrible name that is hard to say is made to any standard, i was ones working for a long time in Shanghai so i do know a little about Chinese quality or should i say non quality

Edited by HDRIDER

I didn't say - or mean to imply - that you shouldn't post these news here. All I said is that these press releases (are they press releases?) often don't add up to much. No hairs have been rubbed the wrong way.

And currently Kawasaki surrendered and pulled out of the Thai scooter and underbone scooter and motorcycle market

Huh? not sure what you mean by Kawasaki having pulled out of the motorcycle market. Scooters, OK - but they're doing thriving business with the KSRs and their bigger bikes. Unlike those many new entrants in the market, I actually see Kawa dealers and kawa bikes every day. Maybe it's a northern thing.

Kawasaki stopped making underbone scooters and underbone motorcycles. Kawasaki thriving business? When Kawasaki starts to make provide and starts to pay dividend to its share holders. Currently the return on equity is -3.83.

For Kawasaki Thailand, sure the KSR110 is a nice cult bike – but one or two models that sells well doesn't save a company. And the KLX125 or D-tracker 125, be honest, the less than 10 horsepower engine impresses nobody, Honda for instance is capable of squeezing nearly 16 horsepower out of the 2011 CBR125Ri engine. Kawasaki sells about a few hundred motorcycles per month in Thailand, with being the only manufacturer who sells affordable big bikes. Trust me that when I say that Kawasaki in Thailand will enter tough times when other well known motorcycle manufacturers start offering big bikes in the same price class.

We had somebody on this forum before, and he also always said – never seem them, they not have dealers – and last time I went up north I saw several Tiger Boxer 250 RS's - so yes I guess it's a northern thing.

Hi

Don’t know if you get it, i don’t care if BMW is made in China it’s a BMW, and that mean BMW is there. OK??? but you come up with a gusta rumba or that joyway or whatever they call them, what do you think people will buy, a Honda made in China or a Gusta whatever made in China, that’s my point, and yes they sell well, how many people live in China and India some of the people can’t afford a Honda so what do they buy? You tell me

I did not try but maybe Google one of these China names and see where they sell

BTW i have a BMW,,,,made in Thailand

Forgot to say that i acutely do care if it’s made in China, but i guess that BMW is made to German and BMW standard, i don’t think that these bikes that have terrible name that is hard to say is made to any standard, i was ones working for a long time in Shanghai so i do know a little about Chinese quality or should i say non quality

BMW doesn't make motorcycles in Thailand. Lifan sells in most countries around the world, but that is not the point of this discussion. I believe you when you say you worked “long time ago in Shanghai” and its even so if we go further back in history somebody will have said the same exact words about Japanese motorcycle products, not forget that around 40 years ago Japanese motorcycles where also considered of inferior quality.

Is Jonway a company what we someday well remember as the great fourth wave in motorcycle revolution? Who can tell....

• Like 2

BMW doesn't make motorcycles in Thailand. Lifan sells in most countries around the world, but that is not the point of this discussion. I believe you when you say you worked “long time ago in Shanghai” and its even so if we go further back in history somebody will have said the same exact words about Japanese motorcycle products, not forget that around 40 years ago Japanese motorcycles where also considered of inferior quality.

Is Jonway a company what we someday well remember as the great fourth wave in motorcycle revolution? Who can tell....

He didn't say he has a BMW motorcycle - BMW cars are made in Thailand.

We've heard about Chinese cars and motorbikes taking the world by storm for years now, maybe even a decade. Only it has not happened. Price was going to be the major distinguishing factor. But all big manufacturers have factories in China and take advantage of the cheap labor cost. A chinese manufacturer therefore doesn't have this as "advantage" and if you take that away a Chinese motor company is just like any other startup motor company.

Add to that the (well deserved) reputation for looking the other way when it comes to quality in their products and you will understand my lack of excitement about any new Chinese entrants into the Thai market. They're only cooking with water, so if they cost half as much as a brand name there is a good reason for that. You get what you pay for!

A discussion of Kawasaki shareholder returns: :offtopic: