Beer Lao In Phuket

steelepulse

I enjoy beer Lao, but have found that it isn't widely distributed and very hard to find. I recently found a shop in Rawai in front of the Wednesday/Sunday market that sells Beer Lao. What other places ( bars notwithstanding, but can be included in topic) can you find it? Heineken, Tiger, Leo, Singh etc. gets old fast.

Beer Lao. The best beer in Thailand in my view.

You can definitely get it in Michaels Bar in Phuket Town.

You used to be able to get it in Nikitas in Rawai - dunno if they still have it though.

I emailed the suppliers myself and didn't hear anything back. Strange really as you'd think from a purely nationalistic point of view, they would want to break into the Thai market.

I also think from a nationalistic view, that Thais are unlikely to drink it !

As a long term Heineken drinker, you can really taste the difference in Beer Lao. Much tastier.

Beer Lao. The best beer in Thailand in my view.

You can definitely get it in Michaels Bar in Phuket Town.

You used to be able to get it in Nikitas in Rawai - dunno if they still have it though.

I emailed the suppliers myself and didn't hear anything back. Strange really as you'd think from a purely nationalistic point of view, they would want to break into the Thai market.

I also think from a nationalistic view, that Thais are unlikely to drink it !

As a long term Heineken drinker, you can really taste the difference in Beer Lao. Much tastier.

I agree, it's much better IMO. I would think the beer monopoly does not really like beer Lao making inroads into their market seeing as how it's so tightly controlled.

I agree, it's much better IMO. I would think the beer monopoly does not really like beer Lao making inroads into their market seeing as how it's so tightly controlled.

It used to be available at several places a couple of years ago, but I haven't seen it anywhere here recently. I really did like their dark beer. Now I just don't drink beer. Did the shop you found it at have the dark beer too?

It used to be available at several places a couple of years ago, but I haven't seen it anywhere here recently. I really did like their dark beer. Now I just don't drink beer. Did the shop you found it at have the dark beer too?

I've never seen the dark beer Lao here in Phuket, but I'd be willing to try :). Hmmm, looks like beer Lao is on the endangered species list.

Edited by steelepulse

I had one at Nikitas a couple of weeks ago.

Agreed it's a great beer. the Outback Bar at the Sports & Tennis club in Rawai always has it, we had a few after a game yesterday, it was icey cold and not expensive !! I think google has a map.

you can buy Lao beer at Makro

True, but look at the dates.

Beer Lao is good when fresh but goes off quite quickly. If the batch date is over three months old then IMO don't buy it.

Even three months is a bit too long sometimes. I've had so many bad beers, in different restaurants and bars, around the island because all restaurants and bars tend to open them before they are served. I wish beer bottles here were shown to the patron, same as a bottle of wine, before they are opened :burp:

you can buy Lao beer at Makro

True, but look at the dates.

Beer Lao is good when fresh but goes off quite quickly. If the batch date is over three months old then IMO don't buy it.

Even three months is a bit too long sometimes. I've had so many bad beers, in different restaurants and bars, around the island because all restaurants and bars tend to open them before they are served. I wish beer bottles here were shown to the patron, same as a bottle of wine, before they are opened :burp:

Take the Kata Road from Chalong circle. In only 50 yards, there's a burger bar on the left, turn in here. Right in front of you is a large-ish supermarket. They regulalrly have both normal and dark Lao in.

I'm with a previous poster - Draught Chang is a very good beer, and rarely found sold by the case. Big C had some in last week, though, for 435 baht per 12 640cl bottles.

Just wish you could buy Myanmar lager here. Another good beer which follows me back down from a Ranong visa run!

Don't know how you can drink the stuff unless your used to Fo_ters crap. Chang DRAUGHT is the only beer worth drinking. :D

God, my apologies, sorry, read it wrong, thought Leo. Sorry, sorry, beer Lao dark is the best beer in the region. :rolleyes:

But, the best l can get is Chang Draught.

Between Leo and Chang I'll take Leo any day.:D

Take the Kata Road from Chalong circle. In only 50 yards, there's a burger bar on the left, turn in here. Right in front of you is a large-ish supermarket. They regulalrly have both normal and dark Lao in.

The place is called KL Mart.

The other problem with some bars and restaurants is they turn of the beer cooler at night to save money. Chilling beer and then letting it warm again and then chilling again, ruins beer!

Thanks on the tip on where to get Dark Lao!

• Like 1