I'M Buying A Laptop - Need Help!

roderick17

Greetings.

I'd like to buy a laptop that's good for work, gaming and entertaining. In addition to using MS word, spreadsheets, access and simialar sorts of mundane software, I want to use it to surf the web, watch web-based TV and movies and many other forms of wasteful if time-consuming stuff. For reasons that I dont really understand, I want one with a blu-ray drive primarily because most high-end machines seem to have one.

I'm prepared to pay around 50,000 Baht for something good. Given these very broad parameters, what sort of computer laptop would you recommend that I look at ???

Many thanks

Roderick

I just bought a new Netbook with the new and powerfull Intel Core i5

dont go for another Processor - this is the best ever on the Market

If you have 50' to spend you will get performance enough.... although Win7 certainly can slow down any computer (regardless of budget) to the point where you can't use it at all...

Personally, for a laptop, I never set a higher budget than 20' but I don't use Windows/Mac unless I'm forced to (at work, sometimes).

What I think you should do is to go out to the shops and look at things...

Does it feel ok ?

Is it stable?

Do you like the sceen? Glossy finish is good if the glares comes from spotlights, you just move a little... if it comes from your white shirt or white walls in the room I expect matte screens to be better if you still can find them.

When you open it, does it feel like you can do it a million times without anything breaking from fatigue?

Are the connectors in the right place? left right. If there are connectors in the back of the computer, they will be in the way when you lean the computer...

Locking mechanisms?

Is the mouse pad comfortable.does it react the way you expect.

Does it have a touch screen? Will you use it? Are you prepared to clean the screen from fingerprints every day? Do you usually clean your nose/ears when you sit in front of the computer?

Does it have a dozen ridiculous extra buttons that you don't need and that requires drivers that will be obsolete when MS is doing something to make your wallet thinner?

Expected battery life... don't believe what they say....

Martin

Edited by siamect

If you're prepared to go up to 50k baht, as far as I'm concerned it's either a Mac Book (฿34,900) or Mac Book Pro (฿40,900) and screw the rest. I spent a little more (฿57,900) and got the Mac Book Air, and I will NEVER go back to a PC or any other notebook. Before you buy anything, I suggest you go check them out.

the last three laptops ive owned have cost around 80k each, SONY. i couldnt afford to splashout that much this time so went for a Samsung R439. 23k from a small shop in Pantip.. I am very happy with it and probably will not pay more for a laptop from now on..

it can do all what you are looking for except the blue ray drive.

although Win7 certainly can slow down any computer (regardless of budget) to the point where you can't use it at all...

If you install a ton of crap and don't configure your startup properly maybe.

But otherwise Windows 7 is fine and I'm typing this on an Atom netbook with no swap file and a couple of Gig of RAM.

Comments like the above are misleading. Windows might need a bit of work, but if it slows down to the point you can't use it at all, you should be using a Mac so you aren't allowed to configure your PC badly.

I have have six sites open in Firefox and Outlook 2010 running. No problem switching between them and it's easily as responsive as XP would be on a more powerful machine.