How Can We Speak English Better?

Antivirus

The only key is to practice. Use it. Don't be shy. Foreigners know English is not our first language. They admire us already for trying so hard to learn the language.

When I forced myself to improve my English skills..

- I thought in English.

- I translated everything I heard into English. Thought what I would respond in English. And did respond in Thai (to the Thais of course).

- I listened to English radio.

- I watched movies with Thai subtitle and tried to translate what I heard in my head quick and checked with the subtitle. Every now and then, you would notice the Thai subtible on UBC was wrong.

- I read novels in English.

I still do all that to these days.

LC,

I admire your english , you looks as a native english speaker. Your english is perfect. How long have you been study english ?.

Well I can't give an advise but i think that It is very difficult to improve your english if you are living in an country where the language that you speak all the time is not english.

LC,

I admire your english , you looks as a native english speaker. Your english is perfect. How long have you been study english ?.

Well I can't give an advise but i think that It is very difficult to improve your english if you are living in an country where the language that you speak all the time is not english.

My English lesson as I was a kid was English songs. I love those songs and I wanted to know the meaning. Then I studied the songs ( music in the mood ) :D

Then I read English newspaper for kid ( student). Enjoyed watching film with original soundtrack. :o Later decided to study many languages but choose only 2 languages plus native language to live.

There are so many mass media nowaday to practise and improve your English. Choose the best one for you and learning should make you fun to learn..not a must to learn, and enjoy it. :D

How can we Speak English Better?

My wife has a frend in Bangkok that communicates with her daily.

Her English is amazing.

Yet, over the 8 years that I've known her, she has spoken no more than a dozen words.

She can read it and write it, but she can't hear it well or speak it.

IMHO, the only way to learn to speak English is to spend time conversing with native English speakers.

Many complain about the lack of training required for a farang English teacher.

But, if conversation is the goal, training might not be so important.

If you are really serious about studying English...there are many falang who will be happy to help you

Some of us are already volunteer English teachers

But we cannot guess WHO wants to study

Ask for help..many times, you will get help

Long doo, long doo

Brian

Think in English. While living in the UK, US, Canada, Oz or NZ for a time would help you out exponentially, it's not realistic for most Thais, but you should be reading as much as possible - newspapers and books (maybe not the Bangkok Post) - and always watch the soundtracks at the movies. :o

The best way to learn English is to speak/practice it.

If you don't have anyone to practice with, reading English is almost as good, perhaps even better - good way to build up your vocabulary. What you read isn't really that important - it could be magazines, books - of course if it is a subject that interests you, all the better.

Also, when you see a foreign move, try to listen to what is being said, rather than just reading the subtitles.

Edited by WhiteShiva

The only way to speak English well is to practice. In my mind the majority of Thais have 2 problems, shy and scared to get it wrong. I think a lot of the time the problem lies with the large aim at grammar, it gets my students so confused that they are too scared to say anything in case it isn't correct, I do not have to teach grammar as my fellow Thai teachers get that headache. I am telling my classes every time, speaking English badly is better than not speaking it at all, if you start talking then friends, teachers, who ever can correct it for you as you learn, but if you don't open your mouth how can you learn to speak. For the kids I teach, I tell them to forget grammar when we are having conversation, it is important, but I have seen an improvement in the amount of people willing to try to speak, I can then correct them as they speak. It is easier to learn the correct way to speak by being corrected than trying to get your head around lots of rules you will forget as soon as your exams are over. But grammar is important, I do not say ignore it completely just don't let it scare you from actually talking.