Tax On Sale Of Condo

There are offshore funds now available that allow foreigners in Thailand to raise mortgages for the purchase of condos in Thailand. As far as I understand it, a purchase through the funds affords freedom of movement of capital both into and out of Thailand. If a property were purchased via an onshore mortgage, then if the property is sold later the profit will be taxed and any export of funds would be subject to the Thai exchange control system. On the other hand, subsequent sale proceeds from an offshore fund related property would be drawn offshore and thus free of tax and exchange controls.

There are offshore funds now available that allow foreigners in Thailand to raise mortgages for the purchase of condos in Thailand. As far as I understand it, a purchase through the funds affords freedom of movement of capital both into and out of Thailand. If a property were purchased via an onshore mortgage, then if the property is sold later the profit will be taxed and any export of funds would be subject to the Thai exchange control system. On the other hand, subsequent sale proceeds from an offshore fund related property would be drawn offshore and thus free of tax and exchange controls.

You'll have to be more clear about the mechanics of this as the tax is collected by the Land Office when you sell the condo.

And to buy the condo in the first place the Land Office require you to prove that the funds have come in to Thailand.

he might mean that the condo is owned by an offshore company (for example, a Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Mauritius or Hong Kong company).

Then the company itself is sold to a buyer (which company has the condo as an asset).

In that kind of transaction, there would be nothing done (or fees / taxes paid) at the Thailand Land Office

Raptor7 is closer to the truth of the mechanics, but I have to admit to you, I am not a financial expert on this, so I cannot elaborate any further right now. I only quoted what I knew from looking into this a bit, for my own personal reasons. However, I can try to get more info to you, some literature.