Marrying A Thai Woman

thaimate

the ladies bad-mouth the men in front of their friends, complain about their meanness, shout at the men in public. Generally behave like a western women.

Plenty of that going on in Thai villages too. And these women could outshout a western one any day of the week.

If you accept the 50%, then you would need to accept you can find them in villages, hence ......

:D

Edited by sarahsbloke

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think after doing this you will find the 2.8 million number is much closer to reality today.

Then figure the 100% turnover.

I've done the math but think it would be better if you did it to convince yourself.

I also reckon your firure is way high. What do you mean by 100% turnover? 100% turnover per what? week, year, decade. A large percentage of girls keep at it for years.

100% turnover per year. I've been in the restaurant and hotel business all my life all over the world. I am used to turnover in employees. Sometimes they go to other establishments sometimes they go back home. Rarely they get lucky and find a husband.

Sure some girls stay in the industry for a long time and some stay only a couple of weeks. Some places are notorious for turnover some keep their help.

I would think the average is close to 200% per year but for the skeptics and ease of calculation use 100%.

It is similar to how many people have worked at MacDonald's and how many of those people are still in the food business. MacDonald's has 31,000 restaurants and employs 1.5 million people. How many bars are in Pattaya? Average number of employees? Or figure it for one little Soi. Soi LK Metro. 2 blocks long. 400 female employees. In one year at least 800 different employees. In ten years 8,000. Now add the bars in Soi Diana. I think you get the idea.

I think you're out of touch with the sex trade in Pattaya. The turnover is nothing near 100% despite your expertise in the restaurant and hotel business for all your life all over the world. I'd put the number at 20% per year max. The number of sex workers in Pattaya are a very small fraction of females in Thailand.

Let's use some ridiculously inflated figures to illustrate my point. Let's say there were 1000 bars in Pattaya all employing 20 girls each on average. That's 20,000 bargirls. Let's say 3000 girls are walking the streets and/or working the discos and freelance bars. Let's say another 3,000 work in massage parlours. That's 26,000 girls even at my ridiculously inflated numbers. I'm sure you're agree there aren't even close to 1000 bars in Pattaya. Now lets take your very high assumption of 100% turnover per year and that's only 260,000 girls over 10 years.

Now you're trying to tell us that the number of sex workers in the whole of Thailand is 2.8 million at any given time?...when you'd be lucky to come up with 1/4 million in Pattaya in 10 years.

Ok now we are getting someplace. At least agreeing on method of sampling. How many bars are in Pattaya that employ P4P ladies? How many for Thai men, how many for Japanese and how many for Falang? My first question is do you live in Pattaya? Do you know all the bar areas? Do you know where the Thai bars are? How many Go go are there (higher number of employees)?

So for someone who is knowledgeable how many bars are there in Pattaya? How many in Soi Diana? North Pattaya, all the Soi’s off of the main roads, Beach, 2nd, 3rd, Soi Bukhow, South, Central and North Pattaya roads. Now add all of the Thai bars.

Turnover? I find it hard to believe that bar turnover would not be similar to fast food. There is a core of long term employees and a lot of turnover in the entry level positions. Don’t forget that all the waitresses and cashiers are also bar fineable.

Let's use some ridiculously inflated figures to illustrate my point. Let's say there were 1000 bars in Pattaya all employing 20 girls each on average. That's 20,000 bargirls. Let's say 3000 girls are walking the streets and/or working the discos and freelance bars. Let's say another 3,000 work in massage parlours. That's 26,000 girls even at my ridiculously inflated numbers. I'm sure you're agree there aren't even close to 1000 bars in Pattaya. Now lets take your very high assumption of 100% turnover per year and that's only 260,000 girls over 10 years.

Now you're trying to tell us that the number of sex workers in the whole of Thailand is 2.8 million at any given time?...when you'd be lucky to come up with 1/4 million in Pattaya in 10 years.

Pattaya is only a very small part of the Thai sex industry, for every pro that does white men there are probably 100 pros that only do Asian men.

Or do you think the sex industry is only for foreigners and only in Pattaya?

Pattaya is not a "very small part of the Thai sex industry". The pros that do "white men" also do Asians. Have you never seen Asian customers in Pattaya bars?

You pay for the drinks and I will show you 1000 Asian customers in bars on any night of the week in Pattaya. You mean you don’t know about the Thai P4P activity in Pattaya? Or we could go 20 minutes down the road to Sattahip or Kilo Sip another 1000 there. My gosh only a few weeks ago they busted 40 women working in a place in the middle of the Sattahip night market. That’s right 40 ladies in one place.

Pattaya is only a very small part of the Thai sex industry, for every pro that does white men there are probably 100 pros that only do Asian men.

Or do you think the sex industry is only for foreigners and only in Pattaya?

Pattaya is not a "very small part of the Thai sex industry". The pros that do "white men" also do Asians. Have you never seen Asian customers in Pattaya bars?

You pay for the drinks and I will show you 1000 Asian customers in bars on any night of the week in Pattaya. You mean you don't know about the Thai P4P activity in Pattaya? Or we could go 20 minutes down the road to Sattahip or Kilo Sip another 1000 there. My gosh only a few weeks ago they busted 40 women working in a place in the middle of the Sattahip night market. That's right 40 ladies in one place.

You obviously spend far too much time in the wrong places to know so much about these places.

Many Farang only know Pattaya thu Walking Street, Beach Road at night, Soi 5-6 and Gogo, and these girls are very sweet speaking...red warning!

Never get emotionally involved with prostitutes. All have a sad story, and man you can have a lot of empathie for them, but they have crossed the line between good and evil and will never come back.

Good luck with your marriage. Thai women are sweet and loving, not like most arrogant Western girls. They are also very crazy at time which make the life more fun.

Can you provide a link that proves "ALL" have a sad story, and as for that crap,

"They have crossed the line between good and evil and will never come back"

<deleted> I nearly spit my coffee all over my PC when I read that crap, get a life <deleted>, try talking to some bar girls/prostitutes and ask them why they do it, you might get a suprise when you get the answers...Maybe your a troll or a missionary..

nikkoid66 seems to me to be on the evil side of the line. Me - I am on the good side, and I can see a lot of bargirls on this side. :whistling:

a BA from a thai university means bugger all .

i have had relationships with two thai lady teachers .

i now have a thai gf , who followed the paths

taken by her two elder sisters who went to the infamous

southern sex resorts , their sole mission , to net a farang .

and they have ,, houses bought for them , etc.

one a german , the other a swede.

i have been assured they did not work the bars, reaary ??

the youngest sister , now just 18 ,

has been TOLD , by the eldest/boss sister to go to phucket ,

cos , phucket pang , and only farang many money/ good farang

can afford go phucket . :realangry:

farang pattaya , cheap charlie :jap:

When i started this thread i just thought a few would reply,most of my friends have lived and worked abroad most of their lives and have not married bar girls (although some have and have good marrieges) but to be honest there are some sad and bitter individuals here and to some of you i can only say ,does talking <deleted> come easy or do you take lessons. :rolleyes:

Saying that 50% or more women in Thailand have been involved in the P4P business is assuming that 50% of the Thai women are actually attractive enough to do it.

If you live in Thailand, just go out in the street and check around you, how many women are looking attractive? Just a few.

You should take a look at some white guys women, some times I'm ashamed for my race!

As the Thai guys like to say "where do white men find such ugly women"

Mark45y: I've enjoyed some of your posts on other threads, but you are seriously mistaken in your quoted estimate of "pros" and the proportion of Thai women who P4P (which presumably refers to anonymous, short-term sex for a fee).

Why would you assume that, I once employed a girl to be my 'pretend wife' (mia chow) and live with me for 9 months (while I was looking for a proper wife), she was still a ho! Why just include 'anonymous, short-time' transactions in the definition.

your ashamed for your race ! lets see how much of a pin up you are then ?

post a picture of yourself

the ladies bad-mouth the men in front of their friends, complain about their meanness, shout at the men in public. Generally behave like a western women.

Plenty of that going on in Thai villages too. And these women could outshout a western one any day of the week.

If you accept the 50%, then you would need to accept you can find them in villages, hence ......

:D

Luckily for me I consider 50% of Thai women have worked on their back as a load of old crap then. :D

Edited by mca

seems differing persepctives are squewing the argument here. Maybe SB is saying because being a "thai" wife is a life of servitude, that is considered p4p? Maybe, I'm just hypothesising here. And maybe the other camp think only short timers are considered p4p. Somewhere between those extremes probably lies the truth.

Whatever the case, I am sure that it will be a long time before the 'average" Thai looks at a woman with a farang and has a purely positive interpretation of the union. And there's a large number of Farang who've been here a few years or more who can understand to a greater or lesser extent, the reasoning behind their position.

When i started this thread i just thought a few would reply,most of my friends have lived and worked abroad most of their lives and have not married bar girls (although some have and have good marrieges) but to be honest there are some sad and bitter individuals here and to some of you i can only say ,does talking <deleted> come easy or do you take lessons. :rolleyes:

I think the original question was why so many people assume a Thai woman was a bar girl. A lot of people tried to answer your question. Some said because so many Thai women are bar girls. Some even said 50% have at one time or another been involved in the P4P business.

This was offensive to many people. 20% would also have been offensive.

The fact that world travelers have seen Thai women ply the bar trade in many other countries besides Thailand is also offensive to some people.

The question becomes how could so many people disagree on something so simple.

Thailand has a higher percentage of P4P women than any other country in the world.

There is much disagreement about the above statement.

Where is sin city? In the 1930’s it was Shanghai. Now Pattaya. There is general agreement on this fact. Shanghai had a population of 3 million with 60,000 foreigners and 100,000 hookers. Probably men were hornier in the 1930’s.

When you asked the original question were you seeking the truth or validation of your own opinion?

However you answered your own question when you asked it.

seems differing persepctives are squewing the argument here. Maybe SB is saying because being a "thai" wife is a life of servitude, that is considered p4p? Maybe, I'm just hypothesising here. And maybe the other camp think only short timers are considered p4p. Somewhere between those extremes probably lies the truth.

Whatever the case, I am sure that it will be a long time before the 'average" Thai looks at a woman with a farang and has a purely positive interpretation of the union. And there's a large number of Farang who've been here a few years or more who can understand to a greater or lesser extent, the reasoning behind their position.

I know the principal of a Thai government school, we have mutual friends and he is close to retirement age.

Every time I stop by to see him (his cafeteria makes an excellent teachers lunch daily) he trots out his eligible lady teachers and tells me how beautiful they are and what good wives they would make.

The government health insurance policy goes along with marriage and it would not be a bad gig. Most of them are around 40 years of age plus or minus five.

Since the teacher’s friends are other teachers I doubt if anyone would think the ladies were ex bar girls.

I have taken a couple out for coffee. No sparks and they were all wearing underwear.

I do think there are situations where no one would think anything more than I was a guy with a decent pension and they didn’t have a man with a decent pension.

It is probably woefully obvious I certainly don’t care what anyone else thinks and I don’t see much difference between paying by the month or hour except of course the health insurance.

The Health insurance is good isn't it. (SSO)

I had a friend try and tear it down when I mentioned it. I can't be arsed explaining every little thing to people who can't comprend much outside their own personal experience. Its one of the great benefits of government work. And one even the Farang can enjoy.

marky, I would add to your story that often times a single teacher in her forties has been the mia noi of someone who "helped her" into the profession many years ago. Once3 they are released from the obligation they are not really the apple of the average Thai chap's eye. Ergo, wheel in the farang who doesn't know better.

I've met too many teachers with heart breaking stories. "married an old dutch bloke and when he died hsi kids took all the inheritence and cut me out of the will... yadda yadda yadda..." thats what happens when you rely on a second job... :huh:

There's no need for racism here ok Sarah.

Stick to subjects you know something about.

No racism here, the fact is that western men generally treat Thai ladies is such an inappropiate way, that the Thai lady becomes a western shrew in no time at all.

The fact you know more about Pattaya, says more about you than anything else, and any Thai person reading your post will also make assumptions about you. I am proud not to know much about Pattaya, or the Bangkok Nana Plaze, Soi Cowboy scene, foreigners who go there are ....... you know. Read Loz previous post!

Small example

The white man living next to me are both married to ladies from Pattaya, the ladies bad-mouth the men in front of their friends, complain about their meanness, shout at the men in public. Generally behave like a western women. A Thai man would beat the living daylights out of a woman who talked to him like that (or leave her). They are, in fact, now only good for daft expats or short-time (if that).

First you go off on a racist tirade, then you start insulting me because I know more about Pattaya than you.

Let me remind you of what you don't consider racism. Here's a quote from your last post:

Sarah said, Quote:

"(I don't do girls who do white guys either, nasty, yuck)

pros that do white men will do anyone, as they are at the bottom of the barrel."

You obviously have a serious problem with "white guys", but allow me to put you out of your ignorance as you DON'T know jack about Pattaya as you're already admitted. A large percent of foreign male customers in Pattaya are Middle Eastern, Indian, Black and Asian.

Do you do Thai pros that do Middle Eastern, Indian, Black or Asian guys?

Thais pros who do white guys are accustomed to making more money and will likely not go back to the provinces to do cheap skates like you or your Thai friends. Let's face it Sarah, that's really why you don't do Thai pros who do white guys isn't it? You can't afford them.

Then you cap off your ignorance by condoning wife bashing, and actually applauding it.

Do you bash your wife/girlfriend if she shouts at you? ...or perhaps you don't have a gf or wife and spend your spare time doing Thai pros who only do Thai guys and you. You better watch out when other white guys come to your town as you may have to switch girls.

I just hope you're not Aussie.

SB,

I agree, some people think that the sex trade is mainly for farang. They miss the point that the reason its "accessable" to farang is because its been a part of the fabric of thai society for eons.

This is an insult to Thais and Thai society. You're saying that prostitution exists in Thailand today because it's been around for "eons" as part of Thai society.

Prostitution is everywhere on earth and it's no more or less prevalent in Thailand because of a special Thai cultural acceptance. For example, prostitution is extremely widespread in the Philippines (both foreign and local trade), which happens to be a very conservative Catholic country. Wherever there's demand, unless there are strict laws to curb it, prostitution will flourish anywhere on earth. (8R,9S,10R,13S,14S,17S)- 17-hydroxy-10,13-dimethyl- 1,2,6,7,8,9,11,12,14,15,16,17- dodecahydrocyclopenta[a]phenanthren-3-one, otherwise known as testosterone assures it.

The answers here have strayed a LONG way off the original topic. It's boiled down to assumptions and personal preferences. Having seen married western women who were no where near as nice as many Thai working ladies, as well as Thai working ladies who couldn't be trusted with a pocket full of satangs, there is no possible way to make most of the generalizations written here fit as being the norm in Thailand.

I've been guilty as the next person in making rough estimates of percentages of the prostitution trade, but they are still just from personal observations. And, NOBODY has the whole story. I have seen the bad and the good.

The answers here have strayed a LONG way off the original topic. It's boiled down to assumptions and personal preferences. Having seen married western women who were no where near as nice as many Thai working ladies, as well as Thai working ladies who couldn't be trusted with a pocket full of satangs, there is no possible way to make most of the generalizations written here fit as being the norm in Thailand.

I've been guilty as the next person in making rough estimates of percentages of the prostitution trade, but they are still just from personal observations. And, NOBODY has the whole story. I have seen the bad and the good.

When Ian is the voice of reason it's time for everyone to calm down a bit. I get where the emotions come from, but that doesn't mean I'm going to tolerate flaming. There's a lot of intelligent debate going on, but the ones who are getting overly excited about things are really detracting from it.

Thais pros who do white guys are accustomed to making more money and will likely not go back to the provinces to do cheap skates like you or your Thai friends. Let's face it Sarah, that's really why you don't do Thai pros who do white guys isn't it? You can't afford them.

In reality the white guys in Pattaya are the cheaper end of the market, serviced by the ladies working the lower end of the market, although many like to think they pay the big bucks, that isn't really true. Thai businessmen, Koreans and Japanese pay far more money for their 'dates'.

I actually divide expats into 2 groups, those who have a clue and those who don't, the latter group being about 90% of the expats that I meet. I am constantly amazed by my fellow expats and their willingness to 'buy a lady a house' despite advice to the contrary, who then complain bitterly when said lady takes the house and dumps them.

Loz, Ian and Marky, represent the voice of reason on TV, more people should listen to them.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Saying that 50% or more women in Thailand have been involved in the P4P business is assuming that 50% of the Thai women are actually attractive enough to do it.

If you live in Thailand, just go out in the street and check around you, how many women are looking attractive? Just a few.

Are you serious? How long have you been in Thailand? Do you still not have any idea of what these girls can do with makeup? Just about every sex worker in Pattaya wears a full mask including eyelashes...the whole production. Couple that with well chosen attire and far more than 50% are attractive enough to "do it".

" what these girls can do with make up" You talk as if they can wave a magic wand. A rough bird is a rough bird and make up isn't going to help that much.

And even with all that make up they still look pretty rough. As for chosen attire. In most cases it doesn't do you a lot of favours when you have a map of the world on your belly and a few tramp stamps!

most thai women , would prefer ,

a wealthy thai husband to a wealthy farang husband..

even when you take a thai lady ,

to your home country , everyone is thinking ,

she used to be a ...............

How strange. A woman choosing a man speaking the same language , coming from the same country, sharing the same religion, liking the same food, sharing the same culture........

Birds of a feather ........ Stick together.

It's not rocket science.

SB,

I agree, some people think that the sex trade is mainly for farang. They miss the point that the reason its "accessable" to farang is because its been a part of the fabric of thai society for eons.

This is an insult to Thais and Thai society. You're saying that prostitution exists in Thailand today because it's been around for "eons" as part of Thai society.

Prostitution is everywhere on earth and it's no more or less prevalent in Thailand because of a special Thai cultural acceptance. For example, prostitution is extremely widespread in the Philippines (both foreign and local trade), which happens to be a very conservative Catholic country. Wherever there's demand, unless there are strict laws to curb it, prostitution will flourish anywhere on earth. (8R,9S,10R,13S,14S,17S)- 17-hydroxy-10,13-dimethyl- 1,2,6,7,8,9,11,12,14,15,16,17- dodecahydrocyclopenta[a]phenanthren-3-one, otherwise known as testosterone assures it.

Historically there were two differences concerning Thai prostitution. The first was the offer of replacement wives instead of typical short time 500 years ago. There was even case law written to establish the responsibilities of both parties in this arrangement. This practice was also very common during the Vietnam era in Bangkok. Pattaya was still a small town then with limited bars and only a couple of small hotels.

The other difference was that prostitution was an accepted form of debt payment by even hi so ladies 500 years ago and numerous examples exist of women going to work in large brothels to pay loans.

French and Portuguese ships logs detail both of these practices 4 or 5 hundred years ago.

Are you serious? How long have you been in Thailand? Do you still not have any idea of what these girls can do with makeup? Just about every sex worker in Pattaya wears a full mask including eyelashes...the whole production. Couple that with well chosen attire and far more than 50% are attractive enough to "do it".

" what these girls can do with make up" You talk as if they can wave a magic wand. A rough bird is a rough bird and make up isn't going to help that much.

And even with all that make up they still look pretty rough. As for chosen attire. In most cases it doesn't do you a lot of favours when you have a map of the world on your belly and a few tramp stamps!

It is a magic wand. It's unbelievable what the girls in Pattaya can achieve with makeup. They are extremely skilled at it, and any girl with average or better comes out looking fine. Couple this with dim lights and failing eyesight and they're all looking like stunners lol.

Now perhaps you don't like the made up look yourself, but you don't speak for the majority of people that's for sure. All the girls wear makeup here whether they work in a store or in a bar. As far as attire is concerned, I don't get your line of reasoning at all. The girls dress very well in Pattaya and they have a huge assortment of copy clothes to choose from. I'm talking about copies of the latest international fashions. You really are out of touch, just as I was until my wife schooled me in as she is a fanatical clothes shopper and a dedicated follower of fashion.

SB,

Historically there were two differences concerning Thai prostitution. The first was the offer of replacement wives instead of typical short time 500 years ago. There was even case law written to establish the responsibilities of both parties in this arrangement. This practice was also very common during the Vietnam era in Bangkok. Pattaya was still a small town then with limited bars and only a couple of small hotels.

The other difference was that prostitution was an accepted form of debt payment by even hi so ladies 500 years ago and numerous examples exist of women going to work in large brothels to pay loans.

French and Portuguese ships logs detail both of these practices 4 or 5 hundred years ago.

Similar practices can be logged all over the world. What's your point?

SB,

Similar practices can be logged all over the world. What's your point?

I have read a lot of sailing logs from the South Seas, China, Japan and western places such as San Francisco and London. I didn’t find the same contractual relationships available nor the mention of high society ladies working in brothels. I always thought these practices unique to Thailand.