Farangs Exploiting Farangs!

Is there any protection here against farang employers exploiting fellow farang employees?

It seems that there are sooo many stories I have heard lately about promises made of work permits that never materialise or payments owed to legitimate farang employees with work permits that never are paid.

Second class citizens from our own countrymen. Shameful!!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it is so easy, as the farang employees have no one official where they can go to complain.Especially if working with no work-permit.

And as there are so many farangs looking for employment in Thailand, there´s always fresh flesh coming to rip-off.Perhaps it´s time to form a farang-union?

Common in the time-share businesses.

It seems that there are sooo many stories I have heard lately about promises made of work permits that never materialise or payments owed to legitimate farang employees with work permits that never are paid.

If people start working without a work permit ... Som nam na !

If they don't get paid for the work you do, they may like to know that Thai Court favors employee, even farang one.

Sadly, this part of the world also attracts some of the worst farang, which of course also influences SE Asian's perceptions of the rest of us. Hang 'em high, I say. :o Been screwed by one of the few of my countrymen who live out here, passing himself of as a 'businessman'. Rip-off artist par excellance.

In Thailand , don't worry about being ripped off by Thai people, your biggest threat is Farangs.

People tend to drop their guard with fellow farangs in Thailand, I did that once and lost 60,000 Baht.

Don't trust any farangs in Thailand when it comes to business is my advice, better off dealing with Thai people.

In Thailand , don't worry about being ripped off by Thai people, your biggest threat is Farangs.

People tend to drop their guard with fellow farangs in Thailand, I did that once and lost 60,000 Baht.

Don't trust any farangs in Thailand when it comes to business is my advice, better off dealing with Thai people.

Words of wisdom here -- should be written in blood and cast in stone! Agree 100%, and then some .... :D

Add these corollaries:

(1) have very, very, very few farang friends but many, many Thai friends. Thais are by nature a very trustworthy people -- farangs here generally swear that one cannot be friends with a Thai simply because of disparate financial levels!

The financial factor exists and is clearly evident and sometimes glaringly so, but it has not deterred me from trusting Thais wholeheartedly. I have found, to my absolute delight, that a simple statement of "lines that, if crossed, have dire consequences in terms of trust, friendship etc." -- explained politely, but firmly and without condescension very early in a relationship/friendship -- are readily understood, accepted easily and .... respected.

(2) socialize with farangs by all means, but the moment one or more brings up the subject of money, business or something similar, that red light deep in your psyche will flash, ever so gently -- it is up to you to recognize that warning and ... depart gracefully! Cut the chord there and then, politely of course! Ignore it at your own peril!

(3) Negative, jaded, miserable farangs are in abundance here in Thailand -- they are readily spotted in coffeeshops and other hangouts and the conversation is generally "barbed" & venomous towards this country. Avoid them like the Plague! Their attitude is contagious!

Top, consistent offenders are Brits -- a fact readily viewable here at Thaivisa, which is probably 99% Brit. -- This is one reason why TV can never go "universal" -- the majority of farangs worldwide are not like this at all and all one needs to ascertain this is to do a trip back home, where decent, positive people of all races are in phenomenal abundance!

End of lecture! :o:D

-- the majority of farangs worldwide are not like this at all and all one needs to ascertain this is to do a trip back home, where decent, positive people of all races are in phenomenal abundance!

I would insert '....and slightly deluded.....' in that glowing sentence, between positive and people. :o

(3) Negative, jaded, miserable farangs are in abundance here in Thailand -- they are readily spotted in coffeeshops and other hangouts and the conversation is generally "barbed" & venomous towards this country.  Avoid them like the Plague!  Their attitude is contagious! 

Good advice to anyone who is thinking about coming to Thailand on a long term basis, and also don't listen to the jaded farangs in forums too much, the fact that they remain in Thailand means it can't be that bad.

(3) Negative, jaded, miserable farangs are in abundance here in Thailand -- they are readily spotted in coffeeshops and other hangouts and the conversation is generally "barbed" & venomous towards this country.  Avoid them like the Plague!  Their attitude is contagious! 

Good advice to anyone who is thinking about coming to Thailand on a long term basis, and also don't listen to the jaded farangs in forums too much, the fact that they remain in Thailand means it can't be that bad.

Please don't tar all farangs on the forum or living in Thailand with the same brush... :o

I happen to be one that lives and works here, and I am by no means jaded or miserable... in fact I would say that these are the best days of my life.

:D

Having said that, I too would be reluctant to get into any sort of financial or business arrangement with another farang unless I knew him personally. and was absolutely sure about his background and intent.

Please don't tar all farangs on the forum or living in Thailand with the same brush... :o

I happen to be one that lives and works here, and I am by no means jaded or miserable... in fact I would say that these are the best days of my life.

Having said that, I too would be reluctant to get into any sort of financial or business arrangement with another farang unless I knew him personally. and was absolutely sure about his background and intent.

Allright then, very pleased to exclude Jai Dee from the "same brush" :D

.... the moment one or more brings up the subject of money, business or  something similar, that red light deep in your psyche will flash, ever so gently -- it is up to you to recognize that warning and ... depart gracefully!  Cut the chord there and then, politely of course!  Ignore it at your own peril!...

:o

What I dislike are the farangs you meet in a bar and start telling you how they are so rich, own lots of property and are upset because people don't believe them. I'm usually backing out the door at this point... :D:D

.... the moment one or more brings up the subject of money, business or  something similar, that red light deep in your psyche will flash, ever so gently -- it is up to you to recognize that warning and ... depart gracefully!  Cut the chord there and then, politely of course!  Ignore it at your own peril!...

What I dislike are the farangs you meet in a bar and start telling you how they are so rich, own lots of property and are upset because people don't believe them. I'm usually backing out the door at this point... :D:D

This is soooo true ! Im fully behind that one however, as a person who lives here I would also like to say dont tar us all with the same brush. Its rather like saying all Muslims are terrorists !

It is fact that 98% (and that’s being generous) of farangs in Thailand are skint, or "Jon" as the Thais may say. This is one of the prime reasons why they come and remain here ! Long termers think that when they get turned down by a bar girl its because they are "clued up" and cant be manipulated, in actual fact its not that, if you actually ask them they will tell you its because they are more than likely to be pot less !!!

Thailand (particularly Bangkok) is the arsewhole of the world when it comes to bullshit*ers ! One of the reasons why I like to visit the Cathouse on Soi 4 occasionally, its amazing how many “entrepreneurs” you see in there bragging how wealthy and successful they are, then watch them scarper out the door on the stroke of 8pm when cheap Charlie hour is finished !! :D

Yep, its the falangs you gotta watch out for. Dont let any of these farangs tell you that its the Thais who are the rip off merchants, given a chance the farang will ruin the farang without so much as the slightest bit of mercy !! :D

.....One of the reasons why I like to visit the Cathouse on Soi 4 occasionally, its amazing how many “entrepreneurs” you see in there bragging how wealthy and successful they are, then watch them scarper out the door on the stroke of 8pm when cheap Charlie hour is finished !! :D .....

Then they come onto TV and compalin when the happy hour finishes 15 minutes early !!! :D

Is there any protection here against farang employers exploiting fellow farang employees?

Second class citizens from our own countrymen. Shameful!!!

What about farangs employees exploiting fellow farang employers ? I can assure you that this is just as big an issue in this country !

With so many farangs desperate to stay here because the thought of being back in there home country is unbearable, feel for the employers who have to deal with these imbeciles who are only looking for a free holiday ! Is this ideal for the farang employer who is busting his balls to try & make it work and even help his fellow country men along the way ? Very often the employee can turn out to be the parasite, not the employer !

Heres a true story for you. I once attended a sales training/seminar in Bangkok which was for a farang owned company, the speaker asked everyone why they were interested in working for the company, starting with Mr. X who put his hand up and said "I want to stay in Thailand", the speaker replied "thats a fairly common reason I suppose", he then asked if anyone else shared the same desire to which about 90% put there hands up, "fair enough he said" ! He then asked for all the people to stand up leaving only a small ammount to remain in there seats, what did he say next ?..... he ordered that they all immediately left the building !!

He then repeated the question to which was now a very small and nervous group, "So anyone else care to answer ?" Amongst all the confused looks one hand popped up with the answer "Im here to make money", the speaker replied "Correct ! Now we have those layabouts out of the way lets proceed shall we" !

Yes very powerful but how very effective !! The speaker did this for a reason, he new that there had to be a core of people who needed to be disposed of quickly in order to prevent having to do it further down the line, how much did those layabouts cost the company ?.... NOTHING !!

I know who I would be using in my training seminars !! :o

Harmonica's rantings showing claimed figures over 90% clearly shows in which circles he travels!!!

As for popping at the Brits again see above.

Many of us have seen what he is refering to,but have moved on since then.

I truely believe that the vaste MAJORITY on TV and in LOS as a whole would not fall into his over 90% catagories at all.

Get real.You obviously have problems of your own.Maybe matching those of the very 'loosers'he so dislikes.I dislike people who quote figures that are so obviously wrong that it is likely they are trolling.It is a common weakness of forums that the noisey minority are able to spout off with little or no comeback.

Its soooo true though that the most of the foriegners in bussiness here will ttry and take advantage of a fellow countryman. Who else can they take advantage of? A Thai? I have many Foriegn friends here, but when it comes to buying something, or needing a service i will always go to a Thai.

Harmonica's rantings showing claimed figures over 90% clearly shows in which circles he travels!!!

I truely believe that the vaste MAJORITY on TV and in LOS as a whole would not fall into his over 90% catagories at all.

Get real.You obviously have problems of your own.Maybe matching those of the very 'loosers'he so dislikes.I dislike people who quote figures that are so obviously wrong that it is likely they are trolling.It is a common weakness of forums that the noisey minority are able to spout off with little or no comeback.

I happen to agree 99% of what Harmonica says ! :D

Joking aside, Harmonica is right in his post however, it is human nature for one to speak hypothetical. I think with Chaiyapoon there is more emphasis on the "Brit" comment rather than the statistic being untrue.

As a Brit myself I totally agree that the Brits are the biggest culprits when it comes to dragging down the Kingdom with there negativity and bull*hit !

Although a little unfair to say all the negative rubbish on here is from Brits they would sure top the table ! :o

Some true words spoken but it amuses me that Harmonica seems to take every opportunity to disrespect Brits.

Our Ecomony has got stronger consistently over the last few years , how about the US ?

Our currency has ripped the cr@p out of the pathetic dollar in the last 18 months.

I wonder how he has come to the fact that we are a lazy nation of wasters?

Based upon the pissheads he meets in the Gay bars of Soi 4 perchance?

As all keyboard warriors I expect he has social shortcomings , enjoys bragging on Forums like TV about his investement Prowess.

I think he's great...... :o

Edited by chonabot

Chaiyapoon,

Here's the exact statement I made -- "Top, consistent offenders are Brits -- a fact readily viewable here at Thaivisa, which is probably 99% Brit"

Is this the one you're referring to? I ask because your post suggests the figure, "90%".

Why get so hung up about that number? Let's just simplify things and say that Brits are a huge, huge majority here. Although I would like to be proved wrong on the 99%! :D

OK?

Some true words spoken but it amuses me that Harmonica seems to take every opportunity to disrespect Brits.

Our Ecomony has got stronger consistently over the last few years , how about the US ?

Our currency has ripped the cr@p out of the pathetic dollar in the last 18 months.

I wonder how he has come to the fact that we are a lazy nation of wasters?

Based upon the pissheads he meets in the Gay bars of Soi 4 perchance?

As all keyboard warriors I expect he has social shortcomings , enjoys bragging on Forums like TV about his investement Prowess.

I think he's great...... :o

OK chonabot, but first a reminder. Our last argument got us both in trouble, remember? We were both warned. Kindly review the bottom portion of your response to me -- can't we dispense with the childish stuff and tackle your other, sensible points? .... if you're interested, that is?

OK then, assuming that you're on board, let's look at your statement about the 2 economies & the Pound thrashing the dollar in the last 18 months.

Pound and Dollar :

The fact is that the Dollar raped the Pound from 1992 to 2001, which equals a period of 9 years .

The Pound then turned around and happily reciprocated, and then some -- during the period 2001 to Dec 2004, which equals 3.5 years.

And now for the last several months we are in another cycle of the Dollar ravishing the Pound.

Therefore as things currently stand, and totally ignoring the future, the Dollar is the winner.

I will bring in a historical chart if you so desire!

Dig?

Done deal. On to the economy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well I'm sure you are astute enough to prove anything via stats and figure , but it still amuses me as to why you seem to have it in for us Brits?

I will get to the "Brits" issue shortly -- the points you raised dovetail right into that point of view.

W.r.t the economy, kindly note that even though Britain has a substantial one, it is not even the strongest in Europe. Germany is the largest economy in Europe and then, counting Asia, Japan beats the pants of both!

One cannot even fathom a comparison between America and Britain economywise. It would be foolish to even go in that direction for it would be like comparing a frog's p*ssy to the Panama canal. :D

But more to our point, it is astoundingly clear that pretty much on a daily basis, when the european markets open up, they just tread water for hours and hours just waiting for US markets to open so that they can see "how/where is the boss going?" ..... that's just the way it is and it will be this way until China comes along and kicks all our asses -- but it won't happen in our lifetime.

England has a limited mind of her own economywise and further proof comes via a look at both stockmarkets for the last 50 years.

Done! :D

On to the Brit issue.

An example of our poor country is our Health system. Shown by it's efficiency in the terrible bombings. The world's best.

What happens in the US if you don't have suitable insurance?

Can you compare in this , very basic yet important level ?

I am an IT contractor and have a 10 year contract with the worlds largest Mobile Phone Network/ Supplier.

It's a British Company.

Who is it ?

Edited by chonabot

Well I'm sure you are astute enough to prove anything via stats and figure , but it still amuses me as to why you seem to have it in for us Brits?

I will get to the "Brits" issue shortly -- the points you raised dovetail right into that point of view.

W.r.t the economy, kindly note that even though Britain has a substantial one, it is not even the strongest in Europe. Germany is the largest economy in Europe and then, counting Asia, Japan beats the pants of both!

One cannot even fathom a comparison between America and Britain economywise. It would be foolish to even go in that direction for it would be like comparing a frog's p*ssy to the Panama canal. :D

But more to our point, it is astoundingly clear that pretty much on a daily basis, when the european markets open up, they just tread water for hours and hours just waiting for US markets to open so that they can see "how/where is the boss going?" ..... that's just the way it is and it will be this way until China comes along and kicks all our asses -- but it won't happen in our lifetime.

England has a limited mind of her own economywise and further proof comes via a look at both stockmarkets for the last 50 years.

Done! :D

On to the Brit issue.

And what has this got to do with the subject of farangs exploiting the farangs ?

It seems as though you yanks only know about one particular subject, why do you guys always manage to sway over to how great your country is when in actual fact its a country run and built on illusions ! :o

Stick to the subject !!

PS – Michael Moore is a hero !!! :D

My experience with Brits has developed over a period of many, many years and is not derived from just one, single solitary incident.

California, several other states in America, Latin America, Europe, Asia and now specifically, Thailand.

Comments are made keeping in mind that generalization is difficult at best, but in this case, Lord does it seem justified!

---------------------------------

Here's the why:

(1) There is NO single other entity of people more negative than the Brits. I mean they are mentally anathema to the concept of well-being.

(2) They are highly critical of ALL other nationalities and even look down upon other europeans as "inferior"

(3) Arrogance? ... with nothing to back it up? look no further. They call Americans arrogant, but the Brits invented it!

(4) They engage in voluminous America bashing and have done so in many, many places, but we will limit ourselves to Thaivisa -- here at TV they've had a field day? Why? Because like I said, they are the majority. 90%, 99%? I read some of the stuff that went on here (I joined in late 2004) prior to my signing on -- unf*ckin believeable that it was allowed to go on for that long! And the few Americans here must have just gone into hiding, thoroughly disgusted with such treatment.

(5) In Thailand they treat Thais like absolute SH*T! I've personally witnessed such behaviour numerous times in various locales and in many cases when there was not even any alcohol involved. Then they go on to talk among themselves in clearly understandable obnoxious tones about the very same Thai girl or boy they've just thorougly humiliated.

And to top it all, if America were to turn her back on Britain for even a week, never mind the Chinese and all the other populations worldwide that Britain raped, pillaged, plundered and slaughtered, seeking revenge -- the French would nail her in a heartbeat! :o

If America had a falling out with Britain, there'd be no more Britain as we know her!

Who has Britain fought in the last decades? Any fair adversary? The last fair opponent was Germany and she whooped them good and it took America to save them!

There's more but you get the picture ...

That's my answer chonabot!

Have a nice evening! :D:D