Old Gb 20 Pound Notes

Old-style £20 notes to be withdrawn on June 30

LONDON | Mon Mar 8, 2010 10:59am GMT

(Reuters) - Britain's old-style 20 pound bank notes featuring composer Edward Elgar will cease to be legal tender on June 30, the Bank of England said Monday.

Since 2007, new 20 pound bank notes depicting economist Adam Smith have gradually replaced the old ones, which were first issued in 1999. But 10 percent of 20 pound bank notes -- worth 3 billion pounds -- still show the early 20th century composer's portrait.

Retailers will no longer routinely accept old-style 20 pound notes after June 30, though the Bank of England will exchange them indefinitely and commercial banks and building societies will continue to accept them from customers for several months.

The Bank of England periodically changes the design of bank notes in circulation, largely to improve security features.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6272PQ20100308

Old-style £20 notes to be withdrawn on June 30

LONDON | Mon Mar 8, 2010 10:59am GMT

(Reuters) - Britain's old-style 20 pound bank notes featuring composer Edward Elgar will cease to be legal tender on June 30, the Bank of England said Monday.

Since 2007, new 20 pound bank notes depicting economist Adam Smith have gradually replaced the old ones, which were first issued in 1999. But 10 percent of 20 pound bank notes -- worth 3 billion pounds -- still show the early 20th century composer's portrait.

Retailers will no longer routinely accept old-style 20 pound notes after June 30, though the Bank of England will exchange them indefinitely and commercial banks and building societies will continue to accept them from customers for several months.

The Bank of England periodically changes the design of bank notes in circulation, largely to improve security features.

http://uk.reuters.co...E6272PQ20100308

thanks for that george

just had an idea............has anyone asked their uk bank to

accept an international secure/regestered delivery with old notes inside

including the account number and put the cash into your account?

thanks for that george

just had an idea............has anyone asked their uk bank to

accept an international secure/regestered delivery with old notes inside

including the account number and put the cash into your account?

Banks will not normally accept this.

Your best bet is to ask a friend who is returning to the UK to change them for you (that's what I did).

Thanks to K Jikwan for posting this.

I had 800 quid in the drawer in 20's I brought back from Dubai, waiting for the rate to improve a bit.

Guess what? All but 2 had Elgar on them!

I rushed out to the nearest money changer (View Talay 5 Pattaya) and just handed over the notes to her.

She gave me 48.5 rate without any questions and so of course I never mentioned it.

No problem!

I had 800 quid in the drawer in 20's I brought back from Dubai, waiting for the rate to improve a bit.

I rushed out to the nearest money changer (View Talay 5 Pattaya) and just handed over the notes to her.

She gave me 48.5 rate without any questions and so of course I never mentioned it.

No problem!

hjimbo

hi, when was this? just a day ago?

i reckon i gotta move fast!

No problem!

hjimbo

hi, when was this? just a day ago?

i reckon i gotta move fast!