Farangs In Thai Prisons

StasD

I believe the figures (I am sure someone can come up with them) are around 30% of the population for USA Citizens who hold Passports and around 90% for British Citizens who hold passports.

More and more Americans are getting passports now to meet the new requirements for travel to Mexico and Canada. Also consider the USA is a massively large land mass and the masses often travel for weather rather than cultural reasons, so need to cross a border to visit a tropical place. Cheers.

This is one of the reasons why the USA is described as an insular Country is the low ownership of Passports.

I believe the figures (I am sure someone can come up with them) are around 30% of the population for USA Citizens who hold Passports and around 90% for British Citizens who hold passports.

Consider the typical American. There are only two countries bordering the US. Many US citizens have been to one or the other of these. To reach any other country is very expensive as one needs to travel some 5-15,000 km. Heck, you have to travel nearly nearly 5,000 km from from Washington state to reach Florida. In between are many many interesting holiday venues, natural wonders, and places of interest. It is no wonder most Americans choose to explore the US first.

Now consider a typical European. Europe has loads of countries all within easy reach of each other by train or a short plane trip. To visit Germany from the UK is about 1000 km. This distance won't even get you halfway across the US. This situation makes any comparison between the travel habits of Americans and Europeans somewhat ridiculous.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Working in the travel industry (world wide cruises), I find some of the posts here it a bit unfair towards the Americans.

Americans count for the vast majority of cruise passengers.

This is included cruises world wide.

USA is a very big country, and almost everything (except old western culture) one find in other countries, one can actually find in USA.

Beaches, mountains, big cities, charming small towns, valleys, cousine, entertainment, fjords, water falls, glaciers, wild life, etc).

The list is endless.

However, I can agree that many of the American travelers can sometimes be a little bit paranoid.

It is not uncommon to claim they are from Canada (depends where they travel of course) when asked by the locals.

Would be interestimg to see a break down of where Americans travel, as well as how many Americans are in foreign prisons.

Consider the typical American. There are only two countries bordering the US. Many US citizens have been to one or the other of these. To reach any other country is very expensive as one needs to travel some 5-15,000 km. Heck, you have to travel nearly nearly 5,000 km from from Washington state to reach Florida. In between are many many interesting holiday venues, natural wonders, and places of interest. It is no wonder most Americans choose to explore the US first.

Very true that most "micro-climates" are available on the USA mainland, you can go skiing in Aspen, sun bathing in Florida etc, although mostly you will be meeting Americans rather than indigionious peoples, throw in the threat of terrorism and no surprise they stay at home.

This will have a diminishing effect on the numbers who land on the shores of Thailand. and of those numbers who get in trouble and land in a Thai prison, the numbers will be diminished even further.

Yes, and Italy won :header:

LOVE IT, angiud......I wonder how many different threads you can fit that sentence into. National pride, theres nothing quite like it ;)

ps: i am surprised that jail is so popular here :unsure:

Edited by neverdie

You guys are no fun. We need MORE stereotyping. Isn't that what this thread is about.. ie: My country is better than your country because we've got less people in Thai jails?

They're YOUR neighbours Ian so get on to it!.....its the other way round as well .....more people in Thai jails is better than having your populace stay at home. Its written here so I guess it must be true.

You are all correct actually, I just wonder if the us has some deal where they sneak their ignorrant citizens out of the country so they don't appear on the list

I remember a whole load of documentries on us citizens doing the drug thing and ending up inside, usually incredibly naive girls, but all sorts really,

oops type

I've noticed you seldom miss an opportunity to bash the US in your posts, perhaps you should consider therapy.

This thread is about Farangs in Thai Prisons. Not about America or American travel habits.

edited for spelling.

Edited by metisdead

interesting propoganda war launched by usa, hmm how did such a populous and obnoxious cuntry avoid the top 10, me thinks sumone is telling bubus, come on, you don't just invade countries for idealistic reasons not mentioning a small country to the east of this without generating some sort of idealistic people who will get themselves arrested, I mean just think of the nutta who went swimming and casued problems for that woman in myamar, and the one in korea taking a walk

I think I smell porkies

It must be your diaper. (Oh, sorry "nappie")