Increasing Snootiness Of Phuket Resident Expats

KarenBravo

Can't pull the wool over your eyes, eh?

Feel free to say hello next time you see me parked, though in all likelihood, it will be at a bar.

I said hello to you when i asked who the bike belonged to.

That will get you thinking.

yeah Peter ! Way to Sherlock Holmes the goof who needs to post with a ladies name. A drink or two on me when we meet.

Too bad we couldn't get you on the Aldhouse case a week and a half ago........

Edited by grumpyoldman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not an issue of looking down on people, but one of not having anything in common with a great many people. There isn't an evil plot afoot. A TEFL teacher isn't going to want to be around me and I don't want to be around the teacher crowd. I am too young to hang around with the retired crowd up near Laguna.This doesn't mean their snobs. I just don't have anything in common with them at this point in my life. Why would I want to hang around with some guy that runs a low end beer bar/brothel on Bangla? What exactly am I going to talk to him about? "Oh gosh, your whores are looking disease free tonight".... A young family isn't going to have much time or patience to hang around with people like me because of time constraints and issues. It's normal. The end result is time management and directed socializing.

And yes, some people do avoid some segments of the foreign population here. You remember those 2 idiots that that were fighting on the roof where one guy clocked the other over the head with a bottle? Because they avoid such people, does this mean that they are looking down on them? No. It's just that they have better things to do than to get drunk at 10AM and cause a public disturbance. Why would I want to hang around with the crude crew that makes their living off of selling timeshare ripoffs to people? If I didn't hang around with drunks and toothless mental cripples before, why should I do it on Phuket?

I note the comments about looking down on Patong farangs. Does it bother me? No, because I understand why people would say that, and to a large extent it's a valid bias. Patong works for me because almost all of my friends are close by, I try to drive as little as possible, and I need access to certain locations. If people want to draw conclusions based on my location, good for them. At the end of the day, I know what my bank balance is and I know what my job is. No one's opinion is going to change that.

Edited by geriatrickid

It is not an issue of looking down on people, but one of not having anything in common with a great many people. There isn't an evil plot afoot. A TEFL teacher isn't going to want to be around me and I don't want to be around the teacher crowd. I am too young to hang around with the retired crowd up near Laguna.This doesn't mean their snobs. I just don't have anything in common with them at this point in my life. Why would I want to hang around with some guy that runs a low end beer bar/brothel on Bangla? What exactly am I going to talk to him about? "Oh gosh, your whores are looking disease free tonight".... A young family isn't going to have much time or patience to hang around with people like me because of time constraints and issues. It's normal. The end result is time management and directed socializing.

And yes, some people do avoid some segments of the foreign population here. You remember those 2 idiots that that were fighting on the roof where one guy clocked the other over the head with a bottle? Because they avoid such people, does this mean that they are looking down on them? No. It's just that they have better things to do than to get drunk at 10AM and cause a public disturbance. Why would I want to hang around with the crude crew that makes their living off of selling timeshare ripoffs to people? If I didn't hang around with drunks and toothless mental cripples before, why should I do it on Phuket?

I note the comments about looking down on Patong farangs. Does it bother me? No, because I understand why people would say that, and to a large extent it's a valid bias. Patong works for me because almost all of my friends are close by, I try to drive as little as possible, and I need access to certain locations. If people want to draw conclusions based on my location, good for them. At the end of the day, I know what my bank balance is and I know what my job is. No one's opinion is going to change that.

Excellent post. And really at the end of the day other than your friends and family who gives a f**ck what other people think of you/me.

I think most regulars on the Phuket forum knew I was a bloke. KarenBravo is the name of the ship in my avatar.

Aaah. I had always wondered if you had mis-typed Karen for Karon when you signed up with Thaivisa. At last I know where the Karen name is from. Thanks for telling us all ... :jap:

I think most regulars on the Phuket forum knew I was a bloke. KarenBravo is the name of the ship in my avatar.

Aaah. I had always wondered if you had mis-typed Karen for Karon when you signed up with Thaivisa. At last I know where the Karen name is from. Thanks for telling us all ... :jap:

Cue Laughter..........................

:whistling:

So, 37 posts further on, it appears that: The people post likely to be (or become) our friends are those with whom we share mutual interests, similar personal values, family ties, and possibly similar lifestyles. Like anything else, there will, of course, be exceptions. This doesn't seem to be much of a revelation, or needing anything else on the agenda.

• Like 1

Excellent post. And really at the end of the day other than your friends and family who gives a f**ck what other people think of you/me.

I second that

You know who you want to be with

If you think people are looking down on you get a higher bar stool

I went to the TV piss up at Freedom Beach and have no problem going to another one and meeting everyone that wants to show up, snooty or not! George TV meet up for the snooties and not so snooties! Can I bring my Lamborghini..............................

bicycle :)?

yeah Peter ! Way to Sherlock Holmes the goof who needs to post with a ladies name.

An old Danish ship, later used by Western

So, 37 posts further on, it appears that: The people post likely to be (or become) our friends are those with whom we share mutual interests, similar personal values, family ties, and possibly similar lifestyles. Like anything else, there will, of course, be exceptions. This doesn't seem to be much of a revelation, or needing anything else on the agenda.

And that's why some posters refer to people as 'sheeple'. How dull to bother with those with only similar interests et al. I have had copious delightful and interesting conversation with many a sad old git propping up a bar waiting for his tee rak to return from her latest 'short time'.

Don't people belittle others all over the world. There are some cool dudes

but most people like to feel superior to certain segments of their society.

Interesting to bring up this subject while living in Thailand as Thai's are

well known for looking down on others not so well off as themselves.

And that's why some posters refer to people as 'sheeple'. How dull to bother with those with only similar interests et al. I have had copious delightful and interesting conversation with many a sad old git propping up a bar waiting for his tee rak to return from her latest 'short time'.

There you go. You've provided one type of practical example (bar scene) for how friendships can develop through mutual interests / lifestyle.

Good post as always Bravo.....

but its a dog eat dog world out there not all fuzzy and warm smiles everywhere...

most of the resident expats here now have had enough of there own countries so want to keep to themselves and act like this is their country and want to change it to there way of life..

snobs they are called in a refined country like USA...

also if they are just on holiday expat they look at us as sex tourists no matter what so...

thats the way it is mate....

Yes, I've noticed this trend.

Some people even love to display their wealth and exclusivity by posting pictures, all over the web, of their large, flash houses. :rolleyes:

Yes.......I posted a pic of my house on a "Show us your house" thread that I didn't start. My house is a long way from being the swankiest.

A little OT to the discussion.. But if someone designs and builds their own home in Thailand, with all the trials and tribulations that this can have, the issues with builders, language, corner cutting etc.. And ends up with a nicely finished article.. If they then spend time to create a beautiful garden, to generally make something of taste, thats theirs, well I would see pride from the effort put in, not a show of wealth in the cost. Lets face it the time to build a house is (in many cases) far greater then the cost to build a house.

Anyone thats done that hands on, and ended up with a well finished article, gets kudos for the process (from me) not the money that bought the process.

A little OT to the discussion.. But if someone designs and builds their own home in Thailand, with all the trials and tribulations that this can have, the issues with builders, language, corner cutting etc.. And ends up with a nicely finished article.. If they then spend time to create a beautiful garden, to generally make something of taste, thats theirs, well I would see pride from the effort put in, not a show of wealth in the cost. Lets face it the time to build a house is (in many cases) far greater then the cost to build a house.

Anyone thats done that hands on, and ended up with a well finished article, gets kudos for the process (from me) not the money that bought the process.

"a little OT?" Someone get LivininLos that keyboard breathalyzer.

Sorry, that sounds sort of snobby.........

The OP moaning about snootiness is hardly 'live and let live'.

So....by your logic, someone that complains about bigotry is a bigot?

Flawed logic methinks.........

No, that's not the same.

I'm unsure why you've started a thread asking for examples to confirm your own conclusion.

The root cause seems to be your own insecurities.

Why should any section of Phuket society be viewed as 'snooty' or whatever because they do not actively seek to associate with others within that arbritarily chosen group?

'Expats' is a very wide group. How many Burmese are regular social vistors to your house?

• Like 1

So....by your logic, someone that complains about bigotry is a bigot?

Flawed logic methinks.........

'Expats' is a very wide group. How many Burmese are regular social vistors to your house?

Or to The KarenBravo.........

Yeeeesh, the OP starts a thread about the snootiness of Phuket Expats and then it comes out his forum handle is from his yacht.

Calling the kettle black anybody?

Or to The KarenBravo.........

Yeeeesh, the OP starts a thread about the snootiness of Phuket Expats and then it comes out his forum handle is from his yacht.

Calling the kettle black anybody?

Believe me there is not much yacht over an old cargo ship build in 1969