English Tests - For Settlement In Uk

would the test only apply to immigrants over 18 years old? my thai girlfriend, has two children, 8 and 5, who she will bring to the UK with her.

i would guess they would not have to take the test as they are too young, am i right?

I suspect that children of that age would not be required to take the test, though the UKBA website doesn't make it clear, and neither does the Ministerial Statement.

The website does say that anyone wishing to come to the UK as a partner will need to demonstrate basic English at A1 level, the same level required for skilled workers admitted under Tier 2 of the points-based system, which would clearly rule out the children.

I suspect a lot of kids will be teaching their mothers.

thanks for replies,

Good, they wont need to do the language test :), but they will still need to study english hard, before they go to school here. i think both the children do at least 50 minutes of english a day at school, which is good. I just need to find my GF an english language teacher i think. though she is reluctant - she wants me to teach her huh.gif

The original question was whether the children need to obtain an English language qualification post-29/11.

From what I've read on this thread, the answer has not yet been provided, although some replies are more witting than others.

I'd also like to know the answer. :rolleyes:

Scouse.

thanks for replies,

Good, they wont need to do the language test :), but they will still need to study english hard, before they go to school here. i think both the children do at least 50 minutes of english a day at school, which is good. I just need to find my GF an english language teacher i think. though she is reluctant - she wants me to teach her huh.gif

Don't panic about the children when they get to the UK. They are like sponges and soak up the language quickly. Our daughter has been at school in the UK for less than a year and constantly corrects her mothers pronunciation and grammar. Once they make friends you will be amazed how quickly they become confident in English.

The new rules apply to adult partners only, eligible children get the same visa type as the mother unless already British citizens.

Don't panic about the children when they get to the UK. They are like sponges and soak up the language quickly. Our daughter has been at school in the UK for less than a year and constantly corrects her mothers pronunciation and grammar. Once they make friends you will be amazed how quickly they become confident in English.

Trouble is Bob they tend to learn 'playground slang' from their friends before 'correct grammar' from the schools.

When, after being in the UK for just a couple of months, my wife asked her daughter why she hadn't put her dirty clothes out to be washed......... "cos I couldn't be arsed" wasn't really the answer we wanted to hear. Our daughter honestly thought, with her limited knowledge of English, that was 'good English' because her friends said it to each other 'all the time'. I dread to think what the teacher would have said if she'd put that in an essay. :whistling::D

Trouble is Bob they tend to learn 'playground slang' from their friends before 'correct grammar' from the schools.

When, after being in the UK for just a couple of months, my wife asked her daughter why she hadn't put her dirty clothes out to be washed......... "cos I couldn't be arsed" wasn't really the answer we wanted to hear. Our daughter honestly thought, with her limited knowledge of English, that was 'good English' because her friends said it to each other 'all the time'. I dread to think what the teacher would have said if she'd put that in an essay. :whistling::D

So far the playground slang has stayed there, in the playground! I do know that the swearing that does happen at home is in Thai!! This gets stamped on but fortunately nobody understands it!!!