Friends & In-Laws

mallyrd

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A heartwarming tale mallyrd but isn't it a sad state of affairs ( and please there's no disrespect intended here at all) that a story such as yours, which should be commonplace and normal, is worthy of being posted as an example of a good family and marriage.

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

A heartwarming tale mallyrd but isn't it a sad state of affairs ( and please there's no disrespect intended here at all) that a story such as yours, which should be commonplace and normal, is worthy of being posted as an example of a good family and marriage.

Seeing something on the forum that generally gives credit to Thai people is about as rare as "rocking horse sh-t". For this reason I thought my own personal experience is a good example of the good that exists within Thai/Expat family ties. :)

• Like 1

The story makes no sense :unsure:

OK the wife's parents gave you 2 months of the monthly amount you'd been giving them for 18 years, without ever feeling the need to give you a 'rebate' previously :whistling:

I've no doubt this makes them FAR better than the average in-laws, but its not exactly incredibly generous behaviour.

Edited by F1fanatic
  • Like 1

OK the wife's parents gave you 2 months of the monthly amount you'd been giving them for 18 years, without ever feeling the need to give you a 'rebate' previously :whistling:

I've no doubt this makes them FAR better than the average in-laws, but its not exactly incredibly generous behaviour.

This story is not about credits and rebates. It is exactly people like you that can only find fault with expats or others who happen to have had a good experience living in Thailand. I guess you have been ripped off so may times that you are full of angst. :realangry:

This story is not about credits and rebates. It is exactly people like you that can only find fault with expats or others who happen to have had a good experience living in Thailand. I guess you have been ripped off so may times that you are full of angst. :realangry:

Quite right. As I pointed out before, your in-laws gave you precisely 2 months of the amount you'd been giving them each month for 18 years :rolleyes:.

YOU were the one trying to point this out as something incredibly generous and wonderful - I'm merely pointing out its nothing of the sort. SO, according to you, I must be full of angst and ripped off many times for pointing out the blindingly obvious :lol:.

Trust me, dont even try to explain. Just enjoy your situation.

BTW, thanks for sharing - I totally understand!

This was well worth reading. When I read it I got the feeling that your mother in law and family not only like you but respect the effort you make as a family member and recognise the sacrifices you made and wish to acknowledge it. To quote an old saying "it is not the gift that counts but the thought behind it",

• Like 1

Its heartwarming to read posters encouraging the OP in believing this was an incredibly generous gift. :rolleyes:

I guess this just about sums you up;

Cynical - 3. harming other people to get an advantage. willing to let other people be harmed so that you can get an advantage

Mallyrd surely you are a very generous man and that's a nice thing nowadays, you have taken your loved one with you around the world, probably you have build up your home with the money YOU earned and allowed her family & friends to have some good time at your expenses, they just come and occupy your whole house and you also pay 5000 to your mother in law every month, i am sure we will ALL be "loved & liked" by whoever as long as we can all provide the same privileges to them, there are a few things you can experiment to see if the "love" is real or they are just taking advantages of you, try to stop giving away your free money and also make sure you can receive the same things you are giving them when they are your guest, if they are "unwilling" perhaps there is something more to it, anyway, if you are happy with your personal situation and don't mind if they are really being honest toward you or not, might be better to just stick to this for obvious reasons, good luck to you :jap:

The ability of some posters to turn a precious moment into a negative is beyond belief!!!......sad people!!!!.........I can only guess one has to experience such close family affection to fully understand the true message in this story. This sincere gesture of thanks and display of appreciation/affection to the Op from his mother-in-law is extremely meaningful for him........there are people here who need to learn one simple fact in life...........you earn respect........you earn it by your actions....by your whole attitude to your extended family....make no mistake they see you for what you are.

For the ignorant among you, try to understand that that any monthly sum will simply not cut it......this is about giving emotional and unconditional support to your family when it is required, the story is about earning respect by personal unselfish actions, but more importantly without major effort, other than just being you............some people have this ability......many don't!!

• Like 2

The ability of some posters to turn a precious moment into a negative is beyond belief!!!......sad people!!!!.........I can only guess one has to experience such close family affection to fully understand the true message in this story. This sincere gesture of thanks and display of appreciation/affection to the Op from his mother-in-law is extremely meaningful for him........there are people here who need to learn one simple fact in life...........you earn respect........you earn it by your actions....by your whole attitude to your extended family....make no mistake they see you for what you are.

For the ignorant among you, try to understand that that any monthly sum will simply not cut it......this is about giving emotional and unconditional support to your family when it is required, the story is about earning respect by personal unselfish actions, but more importantly without major effort, other than just being you............some people have this ability......many don't!!

It's took 18 years and a small fortune for the family of the OP to return some generosity.Hardly worth shouting from the rooftops about.