Foreign Investors Show Interest In Phuket Mega Projects

webfact

Foreign investors show interest in Phuket mega projects

PHUKET: -- Several foreign investors are now keen to invest in megaprojects including an electric rail line linking the airport in the southern island of Phuket with the city and a tunnel which could solve traffic problems once they are completed, said Phuket Governor Wichai Praisangob.

Mr Wichai said after meeting with a senior executive of the Pan-China Construction Group that the Chinese firm is interested in investing in the rail line and other projects related to tourism on the island, known as the "Pearl of the Andaman".

Senior executives of the firm will conduct a feasibility study later, he said, adding that the province will send such foreign investment plans to the government for its consideration.

The Phuket rail link project has received immense interest from foreign investors, especially from China, said Mr Wichai. Executives from another major Chinese firm plan to meet with Phuket officials and the private sector on September 10 to discuss the project, aimed at solving the chronic traffic problem on the island.

A South Korean firm wants to invest in building a tunnel in Pa Tong, designed to ease traffic there as motorists have to drive up the hill, he said.

Somboon Jirayus, president of the Phuket Tourist Association, said enthusiasm shown by foreign investors, especially in the rail line, meets the need of the islanders as it could cater to tourism growth.

Phuket is prepared to welcome foreign investment which poses no negative impact on environment, said Mr Somboon.

He said the local private sector is willing to cooperate in conducting a feasibility study on the Phuket airport link. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-08-29

I hope that they can have a airport link because it will make the cost of getting to phuket town a lot cheaper in the long run. I live in Patong but I'm sure they will have mini-bus, bus or taxi from phuket town to patong will be even lower in cost. As I only just made it to the airport on time for the plane because of a traffic jam the other day, I'm more than happy with this idea.

I wish these companies better and hope that if they get the go ahead for there projects that it does make living in Phuket just that much more easier and economical :)

I hope that they can have a airport link because it will make the cost of getting to phuket town a lot cheaper in the long run. I live in Patong but I'm sure they will have mini-bus, bus or taxi from phuket town to patong will be even lower in cost. As I only just made it to the airport on time for the plane because of a traffic jam the other day, I'm more than happy with this idea.

I wish these companies better and hope that if they get the go ahead for there projects that it does make living in Phuket just that much more easier and economical :)

If you are young you might see it in this lifetime. Vested interests, land acquisition, making the pie big enough for all to get their fingers in it. The tunnel has been on the board for a long time & several feasibility studies already undertaken at considerable cost. Finally the new bus terminal has been completed for some months now yet still not open.