All Revealing Tales Of The Rich And Unhappy Thais

webfact

STREET WISE

All revealing tales of the rich and unhappy

By Achara Deboonme

The Nation

WHEN THE Thai Chamber of Commerce embarked on its huge mission to help ease the income gap, its chairman Dusit Nontanakorn repeatedly praised all the members for their devotion.

As he said, not all members are rich, but they attend all meetings even when there is no such thing as a meeting allowance. As the organisation is launching a project that requires funding, these members are also donating their own money, within the limits of affordability.

They do that because Thai society is terribly sick, he says.

It's like what he said.

The income gap and the disadvantages of the underprivileged drive people to beg from the rich and powerful. This leads to a vicious cycle. Now, criticism is growing that politicians are willing to keep people poor so that the cycle will continue. Only then will politicians maintain their social status - the status that opens up the way to a stronger status.

At a seminar last week hosted by Nation Multimedia Group, panellists agreed that Thai society has a misperception about getting rich. A politician has just set an example that he could be corrupt, as long as he produced something for the country.

All the panellists were against the misperception. They just didn't know that when politicians are corrupt, that means the underprivileged are deprived of limited resources. Without corruption, Thailand could be richer, as resources would be properly allocated and all would benefit from it.

A panellist suggested that the media should do their job in changing the misperception by reporting on the lives of the unhappy rich. That is an awesome suggestion, but will the articles find readers?

Certainly, they would prefer knowing the names of millionaires and the new millionaires. That explains why Forbes' lists attract readers around the world. But Forbes indeed has devised something special. On Wednesday, it released its findings on the richest state officials in Russia.

It turned out that Moscow's controversial, long-serving mayor has been dubbed Russia's richest state official, according to a new rating published on Wednesday aimed at exposing the wealth of the political elite.

Yuri Luzhkov topped the list with a family income of 30.9 billion roubles (Bt32.1 billion) last year, AFP quoted the Russian edition of Forbes magazine as saying, despite a relatively modest declared income in 2009 of 7.98 million roubles.

Luzhkov's wife, Yelena Baturina, heads a construction and real estate empire and is listed by Forbes as Russia's richest woman with an estimated fortune of US$2.9 billion (Bt92.3 billion).

A populist figure in a flat cap with a hobby of bee-keeping, Luzhkov has led Moscow for 18 years.

Now 73, with his term ending next year, he has faced a squall of criticism in recent weeks over his failure to return promptly from a holiday to deal with the Russian wildfire crisis.

The Forbes Russia rating, published in the September issue of the magazine, is the first to focus on civil servants, lawmakers and the heads of state corporations.

Certainly, the articles on the unhappy rich might not find readers because of the sad elements, but reporting of the political elite's wealth should. Let's start it.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-30

The article is all over the place. I read it carefully and tried to decipher what it was trying to say. From the title, it appears to lump rich and unhappy together. Ok, I can go with that. Some of the highest suicide rates are for people in upper income echelons. Then the article devolves to talking in circles about a rich Russian mayor. I think the writer needs to take a few lessons in how to get his thoughts translated to print in a somewhat coherent way.

Here's my spin on the title, despite the miscombobulated text which accompanies it:

The rich are people. People are selfish. Asians are generally more selfish than westerners, if viewed from the perspective of how much tangible aid they give the less fortunate among them - whether in % or bulk amounts. Whenever there's a global-scale calamity, who goes to offer aid? The Asians (China, Korea, India and others?). No. Perhaps Japan helps a bit. Where do ALL the do-good global organizations originate? UN, Oxfam, Red Cross, Sea Shepherd, Greenpeace, World Bank, etc? ....that's right, they originate and are run by Americans or Europeans. Name one such organization which originates in Asia (Red Crescent doesn't count, because it's Arab).

Buddhism, Hinduism and other Eastern originated religions are ok for feel-good types who attend the local temple activities once a week. Same for westerners who attend weekly religious get-togethers in their countries. But religion is nothing more than disciplinarian fables if it doesn't penetrate the skin of a person's character. You can train monkeys to sit still in a church or temple and look devout, but that doesn't make them spiritual beings.

:clap2: Nice one, Brahmburgers, i think that sums it up nicely !

I, too couldn't read much sense into the editorial, other than that the panelist seem to have agreed that the media should refrain from reporting on how corruption is robbing the country blind.

Rather they should focus on reporting about how excessive wealth can lead to unhappiness, and thus make the poor less unhappy with their lot.

The wool and eyes spring to mind .

A panellist suggested that the media should do their job in changing the misperception by reporting on the lives of the unhappy rich.

Why? What good will it do? More sopa opera fodder? Although there are many unhappy wealthy people, Sorry, but being wealthy does make a world of difference. Cancer does not discriminate. However, the wealthy person can at least have hope to access quality care while an impoverished person might as well go and plan the cremation.

Why not just publicly execute the publ;ic officials guilty of corruption? Probably more effective than all the hand wringing.

Money does not equal happiness. Money gives you more opportunities and opens more doors for you whatever society you are in but that is different from being happy.

There are two different goals:

1. Creating a more equitable society

2. Creating a happier society

There may be some linkage between these two but there are a lot of other factors too.

If people think money is the most important thing they are rarely going to be happy.

• Like 1

"not all members are rich, but they attend all meetings even when there is no such thing as a meeting allowance"

They don’t even want to make their life better unless sometimes they get allowance to attend the meeting. Is everything about money in this country?

• Like 1

The article is all over the place. I read it carefully and tried to decipher what it was trying to say. From the title, it appears to lump rich and unhappy together. Ok, I can go with that. Some of the highest suicide rates are for people in upper income echelons. Then the article devolves to talking in circles about a rich Russian mayor. I think the writer needs to take a few lessons in how to get his thoughts translated to print in a somewhat coherent way.

Here's my spin on the title, despite the miscombobulated text which accompanies it:

The rich are people. People are selfish. Asians are generally more selfish than westerners, if viewed from the perspective of how much tangible aid they give the less fortunate among them - whether in % or bulk amounts. Whenever there's a global-scale calamity, who goes to offer aid? The Asians (China, Korea, India and others?). No. Perhaps Japan helps a bit. Where do ALL the do-good global organizations originate? UN, Oxfam, Red Cross, Sea Shepherd, Greenpeace, World Bank, etc? ....that's right, they originate and are run by Americans or Europeans. Name one such organization which originates in Asia (Red Crescent doesn't count, because it's Arab).

Buddhism, Hinduism and other Eastern originated religions are ok for feel-good types who attend the local temple activities once a week. Same for westerners who attend weekly religious get-togethers in their countries. But religion is nothing more than disciplinarian fables if it doesn't penetrate the skin of a person's character. You can train monkeys to sit still in a church or temple and look devout, but that doesn't make them spiritual beings.

lol the author obviously has strong views, just not coherent yet, perhaps a little more focus was required, I think this is more evidence of that papers use as being useful only for wiping ones arse

A panellist suggested that the media should do their job in changing the misperception by reporting on the lives of the unhappy rich. That is an awesome suggestion, but will the articles find readers?

An even more awesome suggestion would be that the media could investigate cases of corruption and bring them to the public attention.

But is The Nation going to investigate, say , the procurement of the magic G200 bomb detectors? I doubt it unless they can find a link to Thaksin - in which case it will be front page news.

• Like 2

"not all members are rich, but they attend all meetings even when there is no such thing as a meeting allowance"

They don't even want to make their life better unless sometimes they get allowance to attend the meeting. Is everything about money in this country?

Simple answer - YES

• Like 2

They don't even want to make their life better unless sometimes they get allowance to attend the meeting. Is everything about money in this country?

Yep!!

@Brahmburgers

the miscombobulated text""

I think the term is adequate (whatever it means)

Then you go on quoting various NGOs ; Greenpeace for one has dubious means and ends ; it is not too hot on Russia'snuclear pollution ; it is said to be Russians-sponsored. Amnesty International is all -too ready to always pick on the same countries and more and more takes side with trouble-makers. The United Nations is not an NGO; Its agenda doesn't seem to have the over-fifty , white Western man , high on its list.

As to the article, it has neither head not tail.

. Name one such organization which originates in Asia (Red Crescent doesn't count, because it's Arab).

§§

??

I must have missed a step there.

Saoudi Arabia has given an astounding sum for Pakistan. Must be the first single country, after UN .

maybe you mean "it doesn't count because the'll only help other muslims" .

of course all they gotta do is raise the price of oil by a quarter of a satang to makes things even.

Edited by souvenirdeparis

To me money brings a more happier form of misery ?

Asian corruption helps helps us stay here for longer for instance if your the typical offending expat ?

Why not give everyone a job and pay a weekly 100 baht salary for all and sundry and make it all fair and above board.

The more corrupt the state the less laws adhered to ?

Go figure - its a no brainer ???

Money does not equal happiness. Money gives you more opportunities and opens more doors for you whatever society you are in but that is different from being happy.

There are two different goals:

1. Creating a more equitable society

2. Creating a happier society

There may be some linkage between these two but there are a lot of other factors too.

If people think money is the most important thing they are rarely going to be happy.

. Name one such organization which originates in Asia (Red Crescent doesn't count, because it's Arab).

§§

??

I must have missed a step there.

Saoudi Arabia has given an astounding sum for Pakistan. Must be the first single country, after UN .

of course all they gotta do is raise the price of oil by a quarter of a satang to makes things even.

I assume you meant Saudi Arabia, but anyhow, good to hear they've donated a bundle to the ever-miserable Pakistanis.

Now, if they could just find a way to tangibly assist their brethren, the Palestinians, then we might see some lessening of tensions in the ecological wasteland known as the Middle East.

Someone should teach Achara Deboonme how to write English.

I was under the impression The Nation employed native English speaking copy editors but it would appear that even they didn't know what this joker was trying to say.

• Like 1

@ Brahmburger I assume you meant Saudi Arabia

Arabie Saoudite is the current French form ; it used to be Séoudite, from Ibn Séoud , then turned into Saoudite because they don't have the é in the USA and we followed Saud while retaining the O !

I had a lengthy conversation about the situation of the Palestinians with a younger friend just two days ago, I told him I had started being aware of the problem about 40 years ago, I remember the B&W TV with dogfights of past wars,remember B Clinton's efforts at peace, and plenty more, and I told him frankly we have problems of our own here in Europe now .They missed an opportunity about 15 years ago in the days of Arafat . BTW, anybody knows what happened to his million dollars bundle ?

Urban myth no 1 - money cannot buy happiness. I should know I have shedloads and I am delirious (make that deliriously happy). Most of the wealthier people I know are pretty well satisfied with their lot. Of course money cannot guarantee happiness and poor people can be happy.

Money can't buy love - that's true but it sure increases the size of the population to start searching in.

:jap:

In case anyone is thinking of coming round my house with a few hired lao-khaoed up guns I cannot guarantee the above is not a wind-up and you will certainly find me masquerading as a man of relatively modest means in Thailand

Urban myth no 1 - money cannot buy happiness. I should know I have shedloads and I am delirious (make that deliriously happy). Most of the wealthier people I know are pretty well satisfied with their lot. Of course money cannot guarantee happiness and poor people can be happy.

Money can't buy love - that's true but it sure increases the size of the population to start searching in.

:jap:

In case anyone is thinking of coming round my house with a few hired lao-khaoed up guns I cannot guarantee the above is not a wind-up and you will certainly find me masquerading as a man of relatively modest means in Thailand

Post of the day

• Like 1