Local Mazda Dealer Wants To Cancel My Warranty

Ski_Goong

Not bickering, but if I ever get to the point where I am so hard up for things to do that changing the engine oil in my car myself is something I enjoy when I have already paid someone else to do it, and I know that it could void my warranty under certain circumstances and a lack of dealer service will reduce the re-sale value of my car then I hope someone will be around to put me out of my misery.

Thanks for keeping the thread open soundman, there is very important information to be read here, for those who think that safety is more important than changing Thailand to follow American rules of course

There are 2 types of recalls everywhere in the world, one urgent type that is dealt with immediately and one non critical that is dealt with at the next suitable time, commonly the next service. Type 2 is in America and in Europe initiated with a letter to all owners, that’s a nice and open system that car manufacturers don’t like but don’t dare not to use, over there

This, gentlemen does not always happen in Thailand. Type 2 is sometimes dealt with in silence here, a good real life sample are the rear brakes of early Toyota Fortuners. This is a system that works perfectly since the rule is that cars under warranty must be serviced at an authorised garage. Cars are diligently fixed at the next service, end of story

Then we have the odd American who thinks that the American way of doing things must be right and without thinking of the consequences apply it wherever in the world he is

This is too important a message to be called bickering – this is safety of the cars passengers and others vs. stupidity

• Like 1

Thanks for keeping the thread open soundman, there is very important information to be read here, for those who think that safety is more important than changing Thailand to follow American rules of course

There are 2 types of recalls everywhere in the world, one urgent type that is dealt with immediately and one non critical that is dealt with at the next suitable time, commonly the next service. Type 2 is in America and in Europe initiated with a letter to all owners, that's a nice and open system that car manufacturers don't like but don't dare not to use, over there

This, gentlemen does not always happen in Thailand. Type 2 is sometimes dealt with in silence here, a good real life sample are the rear brakes of early Toyota Fortuners. This is a system that works perfectly since the rule is that cars under warranty must be serviced at an authorised garage. Cars are diligently fixed at the next service, end of story

Then we have the odd American who thinks that the American way of doing things must be right and without thinking of the consequences apply it wherever in the world he is

This is too important a message to be called bickering this is safety of the cars passengers and others vs. stupidity

Car sales in LOS has dealt with the silent recalls in a rather intellegent way. All new cars are sold with 3-5 year/60-100k km free service at authorised service partner, and service at least every 6 months. One can assume most car owners will take advantage of free service, thus quiet recalls are easy to complete when vehicle is serviced.

Examples of recent quiet recalls are

1. Check returnspring on electric throttle. Replace if damaged or relocated

2. Replace rear right brake hose on VIN xxxxxxxxxxxx400001-402000

3. Replace clip on RH airbag

4. Diagnose auto VIN xxxxxxxxxxxx0000000-00200000. Since this was public by phone to owners, its Vigo 2004 3,0 4x4 done early 2006

No names, no flames

In a mature market as US or EU, recalls are public. Most customers can understand Toyota isnt sh-t cause they have one or two problems.

In an infant market like LOS its done quietly.

Edit Does anyone know how its dealt with in the world largest car market, China?

Edited by katabeachbum

• 6 months later...

I had a breakdown in my 18 month old Toyota Yaris 600km from home, Toyota Khon Kaen flatly refused to repair the car under warranty and told my wife that our Warranty is with Toyota Chiang Mai not Toyota Khon Kaen.

We sold the Toyota (my third new toyota in 6 years) and bought a new Suzuki Swift instead.

Now I have no faith whatsoever in warranty, the paperwork can say anything it's what happens when you breakdown or something goes wrong that matters!

see full description of this at: http://mychiangmai.com/expat-life/toyota-warranty-worthless/

Seems the "why" someone prefers doing their own maintenance is besides the point. Some people don't look at it as a chore, some even enjoyment.

In the states.. or at least 10 years ago in the states.. they'd only talk about voiding your warranty if there was an issue they could trace to not doing the maintenance. Oil analysis was listed as their means to tell if the oil had been changed regularly.

Really.. if you think about it.. Even if you just 'top up' but never change your oil, there should be no mechanical issues during the short warranty period. Most dealers are putting synthetic or semi-synthetic oil scheduled to last 10,000km's.. the warranty is 50,000km or 3? I really doubt not changing oil will result in mechanical breakdowns during that time.. its more the long term damage I'd be worried about. Of course if you over heat the oil then it breaks down and loses its properties.. but you can just as easily overheat oil in the first 500km as the last 50,000km's..

With that said I let Toyota service my vehicle every 5000km.. If I had a garage and my tools here.. I might do much of it myself just because I enjoy simple mundane tasks when I have the time.

Yep, oil these days can go much longer then years past without losing it's viscosity and requiring a change but the dealers want your return business so recommend accordingly, changing the filter regularly is the most important part..

Oil change intervals

I understand more then your little mind will ever conceive...

Warpy, do you understand that public recalls aren't that attractive from a business perspective and that Thai companies therefore are prone to take to diligently fixing any safety concern when cars come to service instead. Like the rear brake problem on early Fortuners.

Do you understand that you don't know if your car that you drive around your children in may not have something done to it that should have been done because you do not follow your dealers rule, you possibly arrogantly risk your childrens safety by deciding to follow your American dealers rule even though you are in Thailand now and bough the car from, surprise surprise, not an American dealer. Even if it is 99.999% chance that your car is perfectly safe, I find your thinking somewhat selfish, toward your children of course

I am glad that you understand more then my little mind will ever conceive now Warpy...

Hadn't seen this before so no previous response..

I don't depend on ANYONE either in America nor in Thailand nor anywhere else to tell me what's wrong with my car, the reason I don't is not out of arrogance or out of selfishness but out of knowledge, education and experience.. I do the check ups myself and am very tuned into how my car operates at all times and then INFORM the dealer what I want them to do and consider their suggestions accordingly.. In MY car my children will never be safer but thanks for your faux concern..

For example I don't go to my dealer and say "I have no brake peddle after driving long distances and a vibration in the front at high speeds and a slow throbbing when I brake lightly while slowing at low speeds". While that is a pretty good description, any top mechanic (note I said top mechanic which is also a primary concern here) could probably diagnose the problem from. I would go in and tell them "the cars front brake rotors are warped and need to be replaced"..

I've done this very thing for some others on various forums just based on their descriptions of the problem experienced when their dealers were either clueless or intentionally dodging their responsibility and been spot on with my diagnosis as I also know the question to ask them they might not be aware of, that provide good clues as to the problem.. That's the major difference and sorry if you don't have those diagnostic skills but not everyone has equal capabilities across the board especially where mechanicals are concerned, not arrogance, confidence..

Warpy, do you understand that public recalls aren't that attractive from a business perspective and that Thai companies therefore are prone to take to diligently fixing any safety concern when cars come to service instead. Like the rear brake problem on early Fortuners.

Do you understand that you don't know if your car that you drive around your children in may not have something done to it that should have been done because you do not follow your dealers rule, you possibly arrogantly risk your childrens safety by deciding to follow your American dealers rule even though you are in Thailand now and bough the car from, surprise surprise, not an American dealer. Even if it is 99.999% chance that your car is perfectly safe, I find your thinking somewhat selfish, toward your children of course

I am glad that you understand more then my little mind will ever conceive now Warpy...

Think he was talking to me, always talks to me like that, beginning to like it, hope thats not kinky. :D

:ermm: Now this is getting creepy :blink: ....

Think he was talking to me, always talks to me like that, beginning to like it, hope thats not kinky. :D

:ermm: Now this is getting creepy :blink: ....

That post was 7 months ago, now THAT'S creepy. :lol:

There are 2 types of recalls everywhere in the world, one urgent type that is dealt with immediately and one non critical that is dealt with at the next suitable time, commonly the next service. Type 2 is in America and in Europe initiated with a letter to all owners, that’s a nice and open system that car manufacturers don’t like but don’t dare not to use, over there

This is too important a message to be called bickering – this is safety of the cars passengers and others vs. stupidity

Or the odd Aussie, Brit or whatever who thinks he should conform to every third world society without objections and wear rose colored glasses to the very real possibility that nothing is being done to his car when required instead just being covered up, when, as the vehicles owner they have the RIGHT to know through complete transparency what is and what isn't being done to their vehicle especially where lives and safety is concerned,I.E. your brakes example.

The system is not/does not work "perfectly" when it CONCEALS potential failures, malfunctions and possibly safety issues from the person who owns it and carries the responsibility of every person around or in it. The system is then corrupt and dysfunctional and needs change by informed people who see the failures of it and openly protest against those deficient policies of which do not exist in the modern world for that very reason...... End of...

There are 2 types of recalls everywhere in the world, one urgent type that is dealt with immediately and one non critical that is dealt with at the next suitable time, commonly the next service. Type 2 is in America and in Europe initiated with a letter to all owners, that's a nice and open system that car manufacturers don't like but don't dare not to use, over there

Examples of recent quiet recalls are

1. Check returnspring on electric throttle. Replace if damaged or relocated

2. Replace rear right brake hose on VIN xxxxxxxxxxxx400001-402000

3. Replace clip on RH airbag

4. Diagnose auto VIN xxxxxxxxxxxx0000000-00200000. Since this was public by phone to owners, its Vigo 2004 3,0 4x4 done early 2006

All mostly safety issues that as car owner and not Thai, I DO have the right to be made aware of regardless of where in the world I resided and would insist on knowing.. Just because I exist here does not mean I have to be happily oblivious like the average local...And I know that does not apply exclusively to vehicles here and every single person on this forum has their own pet peeves that are just as applicable in every instance of other examples be it house construction, medical care, etc. the list is endless, that they refuse to be bullied or forced into conforming to the local ideals about these issues..

I had a breakdown in my 18 month old Toyota Yaris 600km from home, Toyota Khon Kaen flatly refused to repair the car under warranty and told my wife that our Warranty is with Toyota Chiang Mai not Toyota Khon Kaen.

We sold the Toyota (my third new toyota in 6 years) and bought a new Suzuki Swift instead.

Now I have no faith whatsoever in warranty, the paperwork can say anything it's what happens when you breakdown or something goes wrong that matters!

see full description of this at: http://mychiangmai.com/expat-life/toyota-warranty-worthless/

There you have it and God forbid if your break down was a serious safety mechanical failure that was supposed to be addressed in a service interval and wasn't and you had no idea it was supposed to be and killed somebody because of it :( .. Good for you taking your business elsewhere though that's the kind of statement that needs to be made and not just take it with sand and not even a lubricant (if you get my meaning) like so many here seem willing to do just because they're in LOS...

In your case I would have followed up and shot off a letter and or email directly to Toyota though and let them know of your decision and their loss of a good customer...

• 8 years later...

I just went to the Mazda dealer and they charged me 1000 baht as I had done over 60,000 km. I never thought about it until I paid the bill and did I haven't done that much and went out to look at the car, 22,000 km, but it was on a trip A which shows 6343 km. I'm sure they made a mistake and refused to admit it.

They said it was because the first service must be under 10k, the second 20k, and as I had missed the 5 th one, which I wasn't aware, I had to pay the 1000 baht.

I couldn't wait, after waiting 3.5 hours, so just left it. I won't be going back there, especially as I insulted then by telling then not to try to speak English, as they couldn't. This is in Khon Kaen. I might check with headquarter but probably a waste of time.

• Confused 1