Thunderstorms

Jai Dee

I was woken up this morning at about 5:00am by rumblings of thunder and flashes of lightning, and although we didn't get too much precipitation out of the storm, it was still pretty spectacular.

It got me to thinking about where I had experienced the most spectacular sound and light shows...

I've seen some rippers from my balcony in BKK...

I used to regularly experience dramatic thunderstorms with earth-shuddering lightning strikes when I was working in Leonora, out in the Western Australian goldfields...

I can remember another huge light show I witnessed whilst flying in a Fokker Friendship from Gove in Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory to Cairns in FNQ. It was just on dusk and we had to fly around a cyclone (or hurricane) that was in the gulf... the setting sun was in the background, and the lightning was just zapping around inside a massive boiling mass of cloud.

Another I vividly remember was when I was working in KL, Malaysia, when I was looking out the window of my 22nd floor hotel room towards the Petronas twin towers, and saw the same tower struck by lightning bolts within a 20 second period.

Where did you experience the greatest natural sound and light show you've ever seen?

The best sound and light show i saw was approx 50 miles off the coast of spain in a 35 foot sailing boat. Thunder storms at sea are about as amazing as they get, they are also about as scary as they get as your the only thing with a bloody great aluminium lightning conductor sticking skywards.

I'd have to say it was in Bangkok a few years ago. My Mom was at Bamrungrad with a stomach bug and leg infection (both picked up in Myanmar). I was out on the balcony of her room when a spectacular thunder and lightening storm began off to the west.

There was a huge, black, spherical thunder cloud over the city skyline. It was lit up by multiple lightening flashes that appeared to be confined to the cloud itself. The illumination was intense and I was quite captivated by this unusual sight.

Only time I've ever seen such an interesting and unusual display.

Kaduna, Nigeria in 1967. Transformers blowing street by street. Lightning turning night into day (non stop) and rain blowing through glass slated windows from one side of apartment to the other. Almost a daily occurrence during storm season.

I was woken up this morning at about 5:00am by rumblings of thunder and flashes of lightning, and although we didn't get too much precipitation out of the storm, it was still pretty spectacular.

It got me to thinking about where I had experienced the most spectacular sound and light shows...

I've seen some rippers from my balcony in BKK...

I used to regularly experience dramatic thunderstorms with earth-shuddering lightning strikes when I was working in Leonora, out in the Western Australian goldfields...

I can remember another huge light show I witnessed whilst flying in a Fokker Friendship from Gove in Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory to Cairns in FNQ.  It was just on dusk and we had to fly around a cyclone (or hurricane) that was in the gulf... the setting sun was in the background, and the lightning was just zapping around inside a massive boiling mass of cloud.

Another I vividly remember was when I was working in KL, Malaysia, when I was looking out the window of my 22nd floor hotel room towards the Petronas twin towers, and saw the same tower struck by lightning bolts within a 20 second period.

Where did you experience the greatest natural sound and light show you've ever seen?

:D

Best lightning display I ever saw was at 35,000 feet over India during August 2003. Monsoon season storms were coming to northern India. I was on a flight from Athens to BKK. There was lightning from horizon to horizon below the plane. At least one flash a second. It was at night and like flying through a fantastic fireworks display.

:o

Best lightning display I ever saw was at 35,000 feet over India during August 2003. Monsoon season storms were coming to northern India. I was on a flight from Athens to BKK. There was lightning from horizon to horizon below the plane. At least one flash a second. It was at night and like flying through a fantastic fireworks display.

:o

Was going to post something similar, doing the usual BKK>LHR trip. One fantastic display somewhere over India also - constant flashes of lightening illuminating the clouds right across the night sky.

Also been on a plane about to land in Singapore when it got hit by lightening. I didn't notice it but a few others did. The captain announced it on the PA later to confirm.