Recommendation For Alloy Wheels

JusMe

Pretty frustrating day. First off, front tire flat, again. That's the fourth time in just a few months. Again, valve ripped at the tube.

Then, later today, I thought it was riding a bit strange, not quite wobbly, but uncertain. Someone pointed behind me. dam_n - this time it's the back tire flat.

And what a production to change it. I almost thought the guy was going to have my bike all over the shop floor. One broken spoke, and the valve completely ripped off the tube.

Now I know I should have bought the bike with the alloy wheels, but ....

Soon, but I also know I'll have to pay the after-market price, not the inclusive one. Not much choice now, if I want to avoid the continued cost and aggravation of yet more flats.

Coulda - woulda - shoulda.

There was a topic about this not so long ago maybe look there.

With spoke wheels It's usually down to weight of rider, wrong pressures, age of the bike, crap inner tubes.

My Mrs & daughters bikes have had no trouble with spokes but they are only little people.:jap:

I wanted Mags when I got my runabout but that was because I like em.

If you change don't buy cheap copies if they break. :whistling:

Edited by Kwasaki

Unless you were buying a different model, JusMe, the price is the same if you are buying factory alloy wheels when you are buying the bike or later separately - these are classed as accessories rather than options and if you buy them with the bike you will still have the original spoke wheels as well.

Unless you were buying a different model, JusMe, the price is the same if you are buying factory alloy wheels when you are buying the bike or later separately - these are classed as accessories rather than options and if you buy them with the bike you will still have the original spoke wheels as well.

most charge 2 k extra for bike with alloys from factory. No chance to get original alloys from shop at that price

Edited by katabeachbum

most charge 2 k extra for bike with alloys from factory. No chance to get original alloys from shop at that price

I rode a bike with spoked wheels for some years in Indo and experienced very few problems and the roads are worse. ALL Indo guys that fix tyres cut a strip from an old inner tube and make a band to insert under the tube. They do this without being asked or told. As for the valve stem being ripped out that is a new one on me. Are the tubes here really that bad? I can understand the tyre rotating on a top fuel dragster but on a small to medium bike.

If you live upcountry and change to alloy what happens if you hit a pot hole and bend the rim? Not as easy to straighten. Have never seen a motocross bike with alloys but....

There was a topic about this not so long ago maybe look there.

With spoke wheels It's usually down to weight of rider, wrong pressures, age of the bike, crap inner tubes.

My Mrs & daughters bikes have had no trouble with spokes but they are only little people.:jap:

I wanted Mags when I got my runabout but that was because I like em.

If you change don't buy cheap copies if they break. :whistling:

I remember that thread. I just wanted to vent a bit.

Weight - notice that it seems to keep increasing dry.gif

Pressure - bike has been sitting for almost four weeks, so that could have let the pressure drop some. I picked up a pen style tire gauge while away, but it doesn't seem to fit the valves. Anyone know if there's a slight difference in size between North American valves and Thai ones? Looks about the same, so maybe it's just my natural incompetence.

Age of bike - still reasonably new, between 3k and 4k km.

Crap inner tubes - most likely.

I'll be looking at new alloys next time I'm into the Yammie dealer, probably next time I go for a service.

The valve could have ripped through after the tire went flat. It isn't necessarily what caused it to go flat. Its true, the alloys bend and crack much easier than steel wheels. They supposedly flex less and are lighter weight for racing. I'd be surprised if it affected the amounts of flats one gets. If you broke a spoke, you probably would have broken an alloy rim in the same circumstances but not necessarily of course. Steel wheels in Thailand also come with a rubber strip for under the tube (like someone mentioned in Indo).

I agree, tire pressure has gotta be the biggest factor contributing to flat tires over here. The tires all seem to have constant slow leaks in Thailand so you need to keep an eye on the pressure at least every two weeks. If you drive it low, than you are likely to get leaks and possibly tear the valve through.

Edited by blakegeee

"Anyone know if there's a slight difference in size between North American valves and Thai ones? Looks about the same"

Yes. American ones are BIGGER man.

Everything in America is BIGGER

(except the willies) :whistling::D

Edited by thaicbr

"Anyone know if there's a slight difference in size between North American valves and Thai ones? Looks about the same"

Yes. American ones are BIGGER man.

Everything in America is BIGGER

(except the willies) :whistling::D

Yes, I should have expected the "Mine is bigger than yours" response. Rather invited it, didn't I? At least someone gave us the smile.

Seriously, is there a difference in valve size?

Well, I brought a pen style gauge from the States (Milton), and it works without problems on two bikes, tubes and tubeless.

Curiously, a cheap circular type that I had purchased from Big C reports almost the same pressures, a little handier too.

I agree with Thaicbr abut the U.S., though I think he met fat. Also, we lead the Western World in voting for fatheads (ignoramuses). On the other hand, I make the claim that inner tubes leak much less when purchased in North America, which is what makes us great.

Edited by CMX

Well, I brought a pen style gauge from the States (Milton), and it works without problems on two bikes, tubes and tubeless.

Curiously, a cheap circular type that I had purchased from Big C reports almost the same pressures, a little handier too.

Just my natural incompetence. Tried again a short time ago, and worked perfectly. Guess we're all the same size, eh? ermm.gif