Thai High-Speed Train Haunts Korbsak

webfact

High-speed train haunts Korbsak

By Jeeraphong Prasertpholkrang,

Thanitaya Thanaphisutkul

The Nation

Korbsak Sabhavasu, the secretary-general to the prime minister, tweeted a simple message on September 1: "Morning people … Train project haunted me so early this morning … I was hit by a high-speed train in the early morning on Channel 9 krub".

This followed arm-twisting politics the previous day when the Cabinet postponed an important agenda item to deliberate a transnational high-speed train project linking Kunming, Laos, Bangkok and Padang Pesar. Korbsak, who chairs a committee studying the transnational high-speed train, had hoped that the Cabinet would approve the broad framework of the project so that Parliament could vote on the memorandum of understanding later on. The high-speed train project envisages a transport link between Southeast Asia and mainland China.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, for unclear reasons, had decided to let the Transport Ministry under Sophon Zarum handle the high-speed train project instead - a move that appeared to have undercut Korbsak's position, though Korbsak had been working on this project since the outset. Eventually, however, the State Railway of Thailand under the Transport Ministry will have to ink the deal if the high-speed train project is to go ahead.

Cabinet sources said Sophon would like to bring under his wing the whole high-speed train project, which will be earmarked with an investment budget of at least Bt350 billion.

On August 30, during the meeting of the Economic Cabinet, Korbsak introduced the study of the high-speed train project and informed the meeting that China had already signed an MoU with Laos, which would start building the railway next year. Korbsak would like to seek formal endorsement from the full Cabinet on the following Tuesday of August 31 so that the high-speed train project could get going.

As it turned out, Sophon told the economic ministers that the Transport Ministry also had a proposal in hand to build a high-speed railway for the Bangkok-Chiang Mai route and Bangkok-Rayong route. Since Korbsak had proposed the Kunming-Laos-Nong Khai-Bangkok route and Bangkok-Padang Pesar route, the Transport Ministry would like to bring all the projects under its oversight, Sophon insisted.

Cabinet sources said Abhisit tried to explain to Sophon that the revamp of the State Railway of Thailand, which has received a budget of Bt170 billion, is under the oversight of the Transport Ministry but this was separate from the transnational high-speed train project, which deals with China.

Sophon was unsatisfied with Abhisit's explanation and the Economic Cabinet did not assign the Transport Ministry to take over the high-speed train project. Korbsak understood that the following day, the Cabinet would endorse the high-speed train project proposed by him.

"But there were signs after the Economic Cabinet meeting that the Bhum Jai Thai Party was not happy with the high-speed train project. The prime minister had to try to clear it up with Bhum Jai Thai. As a result, the brakes were put on high-speed train proposal on the following Tuesday. Abhisit gave an interview saying that the Transport Ministry instead would propose the project next Tuesday (September 7)," a Cabinet source said.

After this incident, Korbsak appeared to be upset because he had hoped that Parliament would approve the MoU soon after the Cabinet's endorsement. Most important, he had not been informed that the high-speed train proposal would not go to the Cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

The incident showed once again the strong leverage that Bhum Jai Thai enjoys over the coalition government. But Cabinet sources said there is a possibility that the Democrats and Bhum Jai Thai might divide up the cake in this high-speed train project. The Democrats might assume responsibility for the Nong Khai-Bangkok and Bangkok-Padang Pesar routes, while Bhum Jai Thai would take over the Bangkok-Chiang Mai and Bangkok-Rayong routes. Sophon could also try to squeeze the high-speed train project in exchange for the NGV public bus project worth Bt60 billion.

Watanayangkorn, the government's spokesman, denied that there was any conflict between Korbsak and Sophon, saying the high-speed train project still has several details to be worked out.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-02

Yet again Thai Politics shows its total ineptness and in-ability to act in a cohesive way, in the interests of the country as they were installed to do (I was going to say elected but that isnt correct) , simply because of pettty infighting to see who is going to get to siphon off the bilions of backhanders. (well not so petty I guess with the billions of graft at stake)

They should just leave it to The Chinese to get on with it and let Thailand benefit from the increase in trade and tourism, being in the middle of the line.

Certainly be completed in a workable manner in a far shorter time frame without the muddling of Thai politics to stuff it up. (shades of the transit system to the airport and NGV bus system where reportadly half the total cost is in graft backhanders)

I guess being in the middle of the line they can claim Thailand is then the "Hub of SE Asia Rail"

What's so pathetic is that they tie 'their face' to each and every up or down of the projects assignment, and reassigning a project to a appropriate department is seen as a personal loss for another department head.

And the press just makes this a public debate :

Gee, how much face did this minister just lose today.

Christ on a crutch, one guy got the deal rolling on the policy level and eventually, inevitably, the actual transport department will be in on the deal, it doesn't erase the good work done on policy level, it just moves the project along.

But I guess the backhanders slow down if you're not the top mover shaker,

so hold the football as long as possible, no matter how many giant Kiwi linemen

are brawling on your back.

Edited by animatic

Wow, great opportunity to take yet another 30% from a public project. That's what all the fighting is about. How much each pie slice is worth.

While Thailand fights within, they will eventually become the 'whore' of the Chinese, and the Chinese know that. The Chinese will eventually control all logistical access up and down the land trade routes. They say the route will end at Bangkok, but eventually will go down to tap into Malaysia with a stop at Ranong. And while they're at it, the Chinese will convince the Thai government to make a canal passage through Ranong thereby cutting off ocean routes through Singapore. In one fell swoop, China dominates Southeast Asia. Now what about that 30%??!

Edited by tomyummer

"But there were signs after the Economic Cabinet meeting that the Bhum Jai Thai Party was not happy with the high-speed train project. The prime minister had to try to clear it up with Bhum Jai Thai. As a result, the brakes were put on high-speed train proposal on the following Tuesday. Abhisit gave an interview saying that the Transport Ministry instead would propose the project next Tuesday (September 7)," a Cabinet source said.

To what party does the Transport Minister belong? The Bhum Jai Thai party, by any chance? I can't find it with a Google search.

To what party does the Transport Minister belong? The Bhum Jai Thai party, by any chance? I can't find it with a Google search.

The Transport Minister is named Sophon. He is a BJT member.

Here's the story: http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2010/03/09/china-promotes-its-transcontinental-ambitions-with-massive-rail-plan/

There's one big problem that bothers me.

China and India have standard gauge railways (4' 81/2"). Thailand & Malaysia have narrow (1m) gauge. China plans (dreams about) a rail link to Europe (Standard Gauge)

Does this then mean that the narrow gauge tracks between Hanoi through Vietnam down to HCM City and on to Phnom Penh and thence up to Bangkok and down to Singapore will have to be rebuilt to Standard Gauge to accommodate modern rolling stock. If you read the article China is dreaming of a 2 day trip to Western Europe. I think this will take another lifetime before this happens in S.E.Asia. :rolleyes:

Edited by ratcatcher

Thank you.

...China and India have standard gauge railways (4' 81/2"). Thailand & Malaysia have narrow (1m) gauge...

The way I see it, the Transport Ministry should be in charge of this high-speed train project, not a Deputy Prime Minister. The Transport Ministry is there to stay with its Permanent Secretary and staff, even if the Minister changes, but Deputy Prime Ministers come and go at short intervals.

Thank you.

...China and India have standard gauge railways (4' 81/2"). Thailand & Malaysia have narrow (1m) gauge...

The way I see it, the Transport Ministry should be in charge of this high-speed train project, not a Deputy Prime Minister. The Transport Ministry is there to stay with its Permanent Secretary and staff, even if the Minister changes, but Deputy Prime Ministers come and go at short intervals.

On the surface this seems a logical course.

Except a Thai ministry represents the most entrenched interests, and the greatest impediment to change.

Such as getting a standard gauge line run across the whole country.

A dep PM might not be quite as log jammed at creating a

fait a comply action to say the rails are being widened

and that's that. It could be a matter of widening grade

and adding a 3rd rail for the standard gauge, and also

keeping the 1m gauge for long hauls on the same line.

It is possible because I have seen a dual gauge line, and it worked. But safer to just replace with proper lines and be done with it,. And the transport ministry would likely fight tooth and nail against change of any sort.

Still ultimately this is a face off over FACE and cash cows to milk.

Edited by animatic

...and cash cows to milk.

Ah, yes, the infamous cash cows. I hope Thailand is not at the point where any public works being carried out are purely incidental to the collection of kickbacks. I heard this said about another Southeastern country where I lived recently.

Here's the story: http://www.thetransp...sive-rail-plan/

There's one big problem that bothers me.

China and India have standard gauge railways (4' 81/2"). Thailand & Malaysia have narrow (1m) gauge. China plans (dreams about) a rail link to Europe (Standard Gauge)

Does this then mean that the narrow gauge tracks between Hanoi through Vietnam down to HCM City and on to Phnom Penh and thence up to Bangkok and down to Singapore will have to be rebuilt to Standard Gauge to accommodate modern rolling stock. If you read the article China is dreaming of a 2 day trip to Western Europe. I think this will take another lifetime before this happens in S.E.Asia. :rolleyes:

The rail gauge problem is not so big as by laying a third rail you can make lines dual guage as is already done in Australia, Switzerland, Vietnam and some South American countries. I believe that India has a number of gauges in use but mainly1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in). broad gauge and they are in the process of converting narrower gauges to 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)