Dmt Notification?

JusMe

I just realized that late this month the registration of my bike comes due. Not sure of the exact date as the green book has almost everything in Thai, even dates!

I know the bike is registered in Bangkok but my address, registered, is here in Rayong province.

Will the Department of Motor Transport send me some notification in the mail that I need to stop by to pay next year's road tax for it?

And while I have your attention, other than the green book, the current and valid insurance paper, and my passport, (& Thai licence), anything else (okay, baht) that I might need to get next year's rego?

Jusme. you can do the tax at your local dmv.

easiest thing to do is go to your local insurance office or friendly bike shop and get them to do it. 100b for tax and about 325-625b(depends on how many cc) for compulsory insurance plus 100b tip for the guys doing it. At least that's what i do.

They need ya green book plus rubbings of the engine number and frame number.

I regularly pass the DMT offices, so figure I can just drop in.

I got a two year insurance policy when I bought the bike - Nouvo 135 cc - last year, so all I'll need do, I think, it show them the papers re that.

If I remember correctly, you have a month either side of the "due date" to get it done?

nope. your 2 year policy is stand alone you HAVE to have the compulsory insurance. You get it each year with the tax. No insurance no tax. If you go by yourself, can you speak thai? Usually there is an info desk near the entrance you go there they give you the forms and help you fill them out then on to the 1st window to get insurance then the 2nd window for the tax. 

By the way are you interested in a rack and top box for your Nouvo. Got one for sale 1,500b

nope. your 2 year policy is stand alone you HAVE to have the compulsory insurance. You get it each year with the tax. No insurance no tax.

I thought the aftermarket policies came in both with and as an add on to compulsory.. Meaning he may have compulsory already ??

nope. your 2 year policy is stand alone you HAVE to have the compulsory insurance. You get it each year with the tax. No insurance no tax.

I thought the aftermarket policies came in both with and as an add on to compulsory.. Meaning he may have compulsory already ??

compulsory can only be purchased for one year at a time. 1st class/3rd class/theft/ purchased with bike can be valid for more than one year

Renewing tax is very simple. show book to insurance staff, pay 1-300 baht, show book and insurance to tax staff, pay 100 baht and recieve book updated page 16 and tax sticker

It can be done within 3 months BEFORE expire. After expire there is a penalty/fine, and the bib/accident risk

compulsory can only be purchased for one year at a time. 1st class/3rd class/theft/ purchased with bike can be valid for more than one year

Renewing tax is very simple. show book to insurance staff, pay 1-300 baht, show book and insurance to tax staff, pay 100 baht and recieve book updated page 16 and tax sticker

It can be done within 3 months BEFORE expire. After expire there is a penalty/fine, and the bib/accident risk

Hmmm, I guess I just assumed, not a particularly good thing to do, that when I purchased that insurance for theft, etc. of the bike for two years, it included the standard compulsory insurance for the same period of time.

Anyway, seems that sometime this month, I'll stop by the DMT office, where I remember seeing some insurance booths outside, and make some slow and necessary progress in getting the necessary insurance and year's registration.

Seems simple enough - just drive up with the standard docs I've got, and be patient.

Interesting bout that timing. I had been thinking of trying to get a month's extension so I could be sure of having it clear if I go travelling next summer and leave the bike locked up here. Any suggestion about how I can change the timing of the annual insurance/registration?

Hmmm, I guess I just assumed, not a particularly good thing to do, that when I purchased that insurance for theft, etc. of the bike for two years, it included the standard compulsory insurance for the same period of time.

Anyway, seems that sometime this month, I'll stop by the DMT office, where I remember seeing some insurance booths outside, and make some slow and necessary progress in getting the necessary insurance and year's registration.

Seems simple enough - just drive up with the standard docs I've got, and be patient.

Interesting bout that timing. I had been thinking of trying to get a month's extension so I could be sure of having it clear if I go travelling next summer and leave the bike locked up here. Any suggestion about how I can change the timing of the annual insurance/registration?

nope, cant do more than 3 months before expire.

when expired, you have 3 years to pay insurance/tax before deregistered

.......They need ya green book plus rubbings of the engine number and frame number.

There's no reason at all for them to take rubbings of the engine and frame numbers to renew the insurance. You'd better hope the bike shop are "friendly" with you and not "friendly" with your bike!

.......They need ya green book plus rubbings of the engine number and frame number.

There's no reason at all for them to take rubbings of the engine and frame numbers to renew the insurance. You'd better hope the bike shop are "friendly" with you and not "friendly" with your bike!

They do for the tax tho.. And for most people tax and compulsory insurance go hand in hand.

They do for the tax tho.. And for most people tax and compulsory insurance go hand in hand.

DLT does not need rubbings of engine and frame numbers for tax or insurance if bike is less than 5 y o. Only bikes registered more than 5 years, or transfer ownership makes inspection/rubbing numbers needed

many private garages do it, cause they dont bother to check bikes age

That was so easy.

Stopped at the Land Transportation office and a very pleasant food vendor lady walked me over to the appropriate insurance booth.

Showed them my green book, and after five or ten minutes, paid 450 baht for receipted insurance info. They clearly directed me over to the government office for bike registration.

Handed over my green book with 100 baht, and received my annual registration sticker.

Total: about ten or fifteen minutes, 550 baht.

No extra documents, no signed photocopies, nothing extra. Didn't even have to show my driver's licence.

Very pleasant experience.laugh.gifbiggrin.gif