Thaksin Says He Can Push Thai Politics Back On Course

webfact

A great reply, A pity some of the one eyed yellow supporters did not do their homework and just listen to this illegitimate government.

Like it or not, this government is not illegitimate. One-eyed red supporters should do their homework and pay less attention to anti-government propoganda.

Well, this is where we differ in opinion. I believe the opposite, and my reason for this is plainly obvious in any supposed democracy. (Thaksin was democratically elected by the people and ousted in a military coup whilst abroad)...by what standard of democracy is that? a pretty low act if you ask me.

The present "Government" and their Yellow shirt backers are quick to label the red shirts leaders and their supporters as Terrorists and hold them in Prison. Well what about the Yellow Terrorists that held the Country to ransom and did untold damage to the economy when they took the Airports hostage??? Why are these leaders not in prison??? Please explain the difference as I fail to understand this in a so called "Democratic" country. mmmmmm. :huh:

Edited by sevenhills

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A great reply, A pity some of the one eyed yellow supporters did not do their homework and just listen to this illegitimate government.

Like it or not, this government is not illegitimate. One-eyed red supporters should do their homework and pay less attention to anti-government propoganda.

Well, this is where we differ in opinion. I believe the opposite, and my reason for this is plainly obvious in any supposed democracy. (Thaksin was democratically elected by the people and ousted in a military coup whilst abroad)...by what standard of democracy is that? a pretty low act if you ask me.

The present "Government" and their Yellow shirt backers are quick to label the red shirts leaders and their supporters as Terrorists and hold them in Prison. Well what about the Yellow Terrorists that held the Country to ransom and did untold damage to the economy when they took the Airports hostage??? Why are these leaders not in prison??? Please explain the difference as I fail to understand this in a so called "Democratic" country. mmmmmm. :huh:

You say you differ in opinion. It's not clear to me on what part as you do not say, you just start asking other questions.

As for this current government, it's legal ! All MP's in parliament were elected. MP's follow certain rules/regulations/constitution to form a government. This should be plainly obvious in any case.

I thought Thaksin has said multiple times that he's retired from politics and just wants to return and live out his life in peace. But now he seems to be saying otherwise. If he wants to be a leader again, he needs to be more decisive.

Yes true, in fact just 2 days ago he was saying that he's decided to keep a very low profile. Mother of all flip flops.

You say you differ in opinion. It's not clear to me on what part as you do not say, you just start asking other questions.

As for this current government, it's legal ! All MP's in parliament were elected. MP's follow certain rules/regulations/constitution to form a government. This should be plainly obvious in any case.

Propaganda and Legitimacy I discussed in a previous post. Plainly obvious it's not.

But please answer my previous questions if you will? as die hard yellow supporters don't, cannot, or will not answer this? strange.... It is a relevant question as it all comes back to Thaksin's (the elected Prime minister) Illegitimate removal. :ermm:

The Defence Minister in the UK is an elected MP not an army general........Can you imagine an army general in a true democracy making such a statement?

Antony Henry Head, 1st Viscount Head GCMG, CBE, MC, PC (19 December 1906 – 29 March 1983) was a British soldier, Conservative politician and diplomat.

Head was a career soldier, joining the 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars and later the Life Guards, serving through the Second World War and achieving the rank of Brigadier General.

Head was elected Conservative MP for Carshalton in 1945. He served as Secretary of State for War from 1951 to 1956 and as Minister of Defence (with a seat in the cabinet) from 1956 to 1957, in the administrations of Winston Churchill and Anthony Eden. He was sworn of the Privy Council in 1951 and in 1960 he was raised to the peerage as Viscount Head, of Throope in the County of Wiltshire.

Head was an Army general AND an elected Member of Parliament.

• Like 1

Thaksin said he believed Thailand could become a truly democratic country under two conditions:

1. The charges against him be dropped

2. The people elect him as Prime Minister for life

plus. . . . .

3. He gets his complete pile of money back, including the cash mixed with the jelly donuts he had delivered to bribe the judge, which mistakenly got opened by a curious aide to the judge. She, in a style uncharacteristic for a Thai, then spilled the beans (or spilled the jelly donuts, as it were). Maybe she was hungry for a 'kanom wan' (pastry), and slipped her pretty hand in, and out came a thick wad of 1,000 baht bills dripping with fruit jelly.

Back on Course??? When was it on course?

Good One. Reminds me of Zap Comic books (by the genius known as Art Crumb, who I've met), who had Mr. Natural walking around an inner city, saying out loud; ".....and this is a system?"

Edited by brahmburgers

Oh gawd! Here we go again with the euphemisms. The present government was formed after several factions of the previous government were ordered by the army to attend a meeting at which they were 'given' a 'proposal' by Gen Anupong and his cronies to form a coalition with the Dems. They were then locked in hotel rooms sans cell phones and room phones and left to stew overnight. When they emerged the following day to join the Dem coalition, at least two MPs were quoted in the Thai English press as stating that they had no choice.

Do you Democrat apologists think that this style of government-forming is normal and goes on all the time in mature democracies? Would this sort of carry-on be legal in a western democracy?

I thought Thaksin has said multiple times that he's retired from politics and just wants to return and live out his life in peace. But now he seems to be saying otherwise. If he wants to be a leader again, he needs to be more decisive.

And Anupong keeps saying that the army never get involved in politics. I could go on and on and on. Lying by high profile figures is quite normal. Get used to it.

I really don't understand this clown and his devout followers. He's been recorded saying that he is finished with politics many times however he is constantly involving himself. He's always talking about how corrupt everyone is when he refuses to come back to Thailand to stand trial against his own corruption charges. He talks about how current politics is being reduced to a dictatorship conveniently forgetting that he was overthrown for constantly holding off re-elections and staying on as "acting prime minister".

Is this really the kind of person Thai people want as leader of their country? Are these traits that you look at and say "this is a good example for all Thai people to follow".

• Like 1

Oh gawd! Here we go again with the euphemisms. The present government was formed after several factions of the previous government were ordered by the army to attend a meeting at which they were 'given' a 'proposal' by Gen Anupong and his cronies to form a coalition with the Dems. They were then locked in hotel rooms sans cell phones and room phones and left to stew overnight. When they emerged the following day to join the Dem coalition, at least two MPs were quoted in the Thai English press as stating that they had no choice.

Do you Democrat apologists think that this style of government-forming is normal and goes on all the time in mature democracies? Would this sort of carry-on be legal in a western democracy?

Horse trading in the process of forming a coalition government is very normal practice and has been going on since year dot. The business makes me very uncomfortable and i wish it didn't go on but the fact is, it does - even in the maturest of democracies.

If your story about politicians being intimidated into switching sides is true then that is very worrying. Knowing your background however, my feeling is this could well be more red propoganda. Let's face it, most Thai politicians are not the sort of people who would stand up straight for their supposed principles in a light breeze. Potential for greater power and increased wealth is all it usually takes to win their favour, and my guess it was this weapon that won the day for the Democrats, far more than being caged in some five-star hotel. No different from what happened after the 2007 election when MPs who had campaigned on the promise of not getting into bed with the PPP, went and did exactly that.

Well what about the Yellow Terrorists that held the Country to ransom and did untold damage to the economy when they took the Airports hostage??? Why are these leaders not in prison??? Please explain the difference as I fail to understand this in a so called "Democratic" country. mmmmmm. :huh:

Quite simple really. They were freedom fighters trying to restore truth, justice and integrity to a system that had been eviscerated and turned into a tyrannical dictatorship by the red shirted terrorist called Thaksin.

They shouldn't go to jail because they were honorable men. :rolleyes:

See, gross exaggerations work both ways.

Thaksin has no redeeming qualities. He is a demagogue and a cretin who is in the same league as Hitler. The only place he could push Thailand is back into the sewer where it was when the military performed their selfless act of kicking his ass out.

Horse trading in the process of forming a coalition government is very normal practice and has been going on since year dot. The business makes me very uncomfortable and i wish it didn't go on but the fact is, it does - even in the maturest of democracies.

If your story about politicians being intimidated into switching sides is true then that is very worrying. Knowing your background however, my feeling is this could well be more red propoganda. Let's face it, most Thai politicians are not the sort of people who would stand up straight for their supposed principles in a light breeze. Potential for greater power and increased wealth is all it usually takes to win their favour, and my guess it was this weapon that won the day for the Democrats, far more than being caged in some five-star hotel. No different from what happened after the 2007 election when MPs who had campaigned on the promise of not getting into bed with the PPP, went and did exactly that.

When K. Thaksin won the elections on 2001 in a sweeping victory. Since he founded TRT in 1998 with some PDP members he bought MP's from various smaller parties in (mainly) North/North-East. Nice start for a popular PM who only just escaped justice (7 - 8 vote) in his 'honest mistake case' at that time. In the 2007 general elections a few parts of TRT/PPP/PTP stood as separate parties. Most of the current MP's were elected then.

Animatic

You need to get your facts straight on your first 2 points

He was elected 2 times in consecutive elections. (whether by vote buying which is irrelevant as all the parties are corrupt and open to bribes and vote payments).

He was the duly elected Prime minister at the time of the 2006 Coup (acting PM or not)

All your other facts are irrelevant.

HRM Has no option but to sign these types of documents when presented to him (Constitutional Monarch).

Edited by sevenhills

And Anupong keeps saying that the army never get involved in politics. I could go on and on and on. Lying by high profile figures is quite normal. Get used to it.

The Army always gets involved in Politics. And lying is a pre-requisite to be in Politics, it's part of the culture. :)

Animatic

He was elected 2 times in consecutive elections. (whether by vote buying which is irrelevant as all the parties are corrupt and open to bribes and vote payments).

He was the duly elected Prime minister at the time of the 2006 Coup

HRM Has no option but to sign these types of documents when presented to him (Constitutional Monarch).

K. Thaksin had called snap elections in Feb'2006, elections to be held in April 2006, invalidated and new planned for end of the year. K. Thaksin was care-taker PM till the elections in April. No idea what legal status after, but certainly not PM. He stepped down voluntarily in February after only a bit more than a year. Tactics to confuse the raising voices against his dictatorial style.

Animatic

K. Thaksin had called snap elections in Feb'2006, elections to be held in April 2006, invalidated and new planned for end of the year. K. Thaksin was care-taker PM till the elections in April. No idea what legal status after, but certainly not PM. He stepped down voluntarily in February after only a bit more than a year. Tactics to confuse the raising voices against his dictatorial style.

Then why have a coup??

Animatic

Then why have a coup??

Because a few days after stepping down he changed his mind. At this point he was a usurper because he had already resigned the position.

Animatic

Then why have a coup??

Now you start to ask the right questions. The coup was probably a reaction on K. Thaksin remaining as non-elected PM, pushing his own people and family into positions trying to control important offices, signs of dictatorial behaviour, suing the press for 'unkind' articles, the tax-free sales of Shinawatra holdings, details on amply rich, etc., etc. Many other reasons, you may list a few as well :)

Animatic

He was the duly elected Prime minister at the time of the 2006 Coup (acting PM or not)

You can't be "duly elected" to "Acting PM".

Yet again, the 'turn a blind eye' syndrome is in operation by one of the pro-Demo propagandists. How the current coalition was formed was well-documented at the time. Your faux shock/horror at what you think may have taken place is just plain bloody funny. "Knowing your background..." Yes, I post honest, independant, educated opinions. I saw through Thaksin the same as I see through all of the other corrupt <deleted> at the forefront of power. Why suck up to the current bunch of gangsters like you and others do on TV just because they replaced the last bunch of gangsters? It's pathetic. If you feel the need to use your expat voice, be honest and criticise all of the political scumbags: It's the least you can do for the downtrodden masses if you must insist in voicing political opinions. Why do you think the rest of the world is less than enthusiastic toward the Dem coalition/army government, and has no interest in arresting and extraditing a known crook? Hint: They know that the current lot are just as bad as him.

• Like 1