Together We Can

schmutzie

Can anyone explain to me the concept behind this campaign?

What is it we supposedly "can"?

As it stands it's a useless slogan, because it doesn't contain any goals. Why is it in English? What's the crisis/problem? When does "Together we can" become "Together we could"?

I do understand the obvious:

Together we can forget that all this shit went down in April/May and move on.

Together we can go out and spend some money and keep businesses afloat.

Together we can support [some inferred values that I'm obviously not getting] and have happy lives.

In case you're wondering, it's a genuine question. I didn't think about it before, but the openness of it has suddenly left me puzzled.

Edited by schmutzie

actualy it has been cut short , the old adage was " Together we win , divided we fall " in the sixties , prime minister of Canada 'Pierre Elliot Trudeau used it as a rallying call to unite all Canadians , but it was coined many years before that , I believe by non other than that great man Winston Churchill during WW11 .

actualy it has been cut short , the old adage was " Together we win , divided we fall " in the sixties , prime minister of Canada 'Pierre Elliot Trudeau used it as a rallying call to unite all Canadians , but it was coined many years before that , I believe by non other than that great man Winston Churchill during WW11 .

Ah, that's interesting. The Canadian angle is, because I assume it was trying to address the French-Anglo split, so addressing an internal problem.

What I'm getting at is that it is a vague campaign addressing an even more vague issue. So how can I contribute? How do I know what it is I must do?

What is the proposed outcome?

To me, the campaign seems to implore people to go on with their daily lives and be happy and not throw any spanners in the works as it is basically

against the community spirit to do so. At its worst, it's asking people to go shopping as an act of social solidarity....?!?!?

It's a morph of Obama's Yes We Can which came from the Spanish Si Se Puede (leftist movement).

Double-Ah. I'm getting old. Yes, I do remember thinking they'd gotten the slogan itself from the Obama campaign. But I guess the difference is that with Obama, the keyword attached was "Change" with a proper program attached to the slogan.

Is there actually an ideology behind the message then, other than a nationalistic one? Even if we take Nike "Just Do It" as a reference, that's a corporate campaign intended to "rally" people towards a sports brand. So it's just saying "Be Thai"?

Basically, I see it as a very negative campaign, because it asks for something (not really defined as there is no cause) towards a non-existing goal. Well, other than it'll help you feel Thai or something.

Sorry, I'm skirting the issue for obvious reasons. It's a very chicken and egg issue and the response seems totally misguided and actually slightly dangerous.

Edited by schmutzie

Just do it!

Just can't!

Do what? Jump off a bridge?

Also a funny American one --

NO FEAR!

How about

NO BRAINS!

'No Fear' is a logo I find particularly annoying. If I saw it on the back of a member of the SAS, a crack commando or even a boxer or UFC fighter then fair enough, but on a pot bellied man or a spotty youth, no.

• Like 1

Together we can delude each other into a warm fuzzy group hug and ignore all the real issues so that the same issues will resurface in 2 years time whereby we shall think of a new jingo to delude ourselves all over again.

See, life can be so simple when one makes sure the education system churns out sheep who can be easily herded and rounded up for a good dose of feel-good brainwashing propaganda. :lol:

And if we together can't...we'll have a coup !!!

its targeted at Pattaya to get rid of all the Expats frequenting Beach Rd. by setting up every weekend Flea Markets along the Beach selling Crap. So the Expats can`t find there Nurses of all 3 sexes anymore and will finally leaf the place. :whistling:

Edited by CHdiver

"United we stand, divided we fall" goes back at least to the American Revolution (Patrick Henry, I think) and probably a LOT further than that, back to extreme antiquity. My favorite version of it is Ben Franklin's darkly humorous:

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately"

Stole that from wikiquotes.

sheep who can be easily herded and rounded up
-- my bold ..bina

not actually worked with sheep have u? u round up cows and horses that go off in different directions and u herd sheep that actually basically stay glued together like magnetized furry creatures..

but not so easy to herd if u've never done it before...

bina

israel

sheep who can be easily herded and rounded up
-- my bold ..bina

not actually worked with sheep have u? u round up cows and horses that go off in different directions and u herd sheep that actually basically stay glued together like magnetized furry creatures..

but not so easy to herd if u've never done it before...

bina

israel

It's all that wool causing static electricity that keeps them together.

And rounding them up is so easy even a dog can do it. :whistling:

Edited by krading

'No Fear' is a logo I find particularly annoying. If I saw it on the back of a member of the SAS, a crack commando or even a boxer or UFC fighter then fair enough, but on a pot bellied man or a spotty youth, no.

Clearly you didn't read the whole t-shirt. On the back it said: 'Of Embarrassment'

Together we can delude each other into a warm fuzzy group hug and ignore all the real issues so that the same issues will resurface in 2 years time whereby we shall think of a new jingo to delude ourselves all over again.

See, life can be so simple when one makes sure the education system churns out sheep who can be easily herded and rounded up for a good dose of feel-good brainwashing propaganda. :lol:

Together we can get rid of all disrespectful and xenophobic farangs in Thailand. I would be elated to initiate this campaign.

Together we can get rid of all disrespectful and xenophobic farangs in Thailand. I would be elated to initiate this campaign.

I'm sure there are already measures to discourage such open opinion in the indigenous population. If the authorities thought it was a problem with the 'visitors' I'm sure they would do something about it. However if we all follow your example there should be no problem.

Thank you for that respectful and non-xenophobic remark.

• Like 1