Suggestion For New Thai Visa Type

I would like to suggest a new visa type for Thailand, so here goes.

New variation on an O visa.

Same rules as O visa for retirement purposes, including bank account.

Lower the age restriction to 25.

Allow work as long as the work is outside of the Thai economy; for example a person running an internet business that is legally situated in a foreign country.

Allow informal export operations that involve mailing Thai sourced products outside Thailand.

No need for Thai work permit.

Annual extensions, no visa runs.

Benefits for Thailand.

Same as retirement visa, bank account hard currency reserves, and a pool of people spending their money in Thailand. Additional benefit, export of Thai products.

Benefits for farang.

Able to work legally in Thailand on a foriegn operation without having to go through the overhead of establishing a business IN Thailand.

Major issues.

It isn't likely to happen.

Taxation.

I do tend to think outside the rice bowl, but I wanted to put this idea out there as I think it would be good for a lot of people, and I don't see much downside.

Major issues.

The government won't want farangs to get the advantage of being able to do business without the 'overhead' of setting up their thai business legally.... overheads such as taxes, employment for thais etc. etc. etc.

Your proposal is similar to the Philippines retirement scheme.

Deposit below 55 : 70,000 USD

above 55: 50,000 USD

You can use 80% of the deposit to buy a condo, or a house in a development with condo status.

Annual renewal cost : 50 USD

Work permit included.

Permanent residence status, with free travel in and out as much as you like.

you can set up a business.

Medical check at application

Criminal record check at application.

The only negative (IMHO) currently is the unstability in the country.

But than again, that also can rapidly change here in LOS.

Major issues.

The government won't want farangs to get the advantage of being able to do business without the 'overhead' of setting up their thai business legally.... overheads such as taxes, employment for thais etc. etc. etc.

Yes, of course, that would be the objection.

But not such a logical one.

The businesses I am talking about would be located away from Thailand, with non-Thai customers, non-Thai deposits, and non-Thai bank accounts.

So it is really more like simply lowering the retirement age for the retirement visa and also allowing offshore, mostly internet, businesses. Note the Thai bank account requirement, insurance against being a burden to Thailand.

This wouldn't stop people from opening Thailand based businesses, just another option.

Edited by Thaiquila

The businesses I am talking about would be located away from Thailand, with non-Thai customers, non-Thai deposits, and non-Thai bank accounts.

If your business is entirely conducted outside of Thailand then why would you bother to tell the Thai govt about at all.

If your business is entirely conducted outside of Thailand then why would you bother to tell the Thai govt about at all.

Well that is kind of my point.

We all know lots of people are doing this already.

But you would have to assume that some of them are living with some level of fear that they are in voilation of the working in Thailand restrictions.

This visa option would allow people who like to sleep well at night with a straight forward legal option.

Edited by Thaiquila

Well that is kind of my point.

We all know lots of people are doing this already.

But you would have to assume that some of them are living with some level of fear that they are in voilation of the working in Thailand restrictions.

This visa optiom would allow people who like to sleep well at night a straight forward legal option.

touche