50Mb True Vdsl2

negreanu

If you want this high speed broadband system (over 20Mbps) you will need to connect to a FTTP/FTTH. The carriers fiber optic cable terminates at a Network Termination device and they have provision for 2 analogue phone lines and 6 RJ45 Ethernet 4 pair Cat 5 /Cat 6 cable.

A power supply is required with battery backup in case of power failure. The battery is 7.2 Ah and lasts for 4 hours.

ISPs will provide analogue telephone, data, VoiP, Internet TV, video conferencing, pay TV etc

(This is the system being rolled out initially in Australia, first in Tasmania by the NBN, National Broad band Network for an estimated cost of $43B over the next 8 years).

It will largely replace the copper wire PSTN system in the future.

Wireless 3G, 3.5G and 4G and cable networks will supply services where FTTP is not practicable.

Basically you have one carrier and all ISPs can connect into it.

Edited by electau

I guess I didn't really get a clear answer to the question I posed earlier... I live in an individual house, not a big condo tower...

I don't know what's technically involved in making this service function...

So, is it a situation where, to get it, they'd have to install some kind of involved hardware in each house (location), or it's a matter of (as with their current DSL service) wiring a neighborhood, and then simply running a line connection from the street to the house?

Unlikely you will ever get it. Condo building needs to have quality wiring plus VDSL cards installed in the PABX room of the actual building then the DSLAM has to be within 2km and VDSL equipment installed there.

I really do not think you will see VDSL2 deployed out with major buildings in Bangkok unless perhaps in the future they may enable a complete mooban with VDSL2.

The DSLAM and VDSL2 (also known as ASDL2) the equipment is located at the PSTN carriers exchange. Distance is limited to <2 km for a twisted pair line. Speed depends a lot on line quality and losses.

Edited by electau

The DSLAM and VDSL2 (also known as ASDL2) the equipment is located at the PSTN carriers exchange. Distance is limited to <2 km for a twisted pair line. Speed depends a lot on line quality and losses.

Normally you would be correct but in this case TRUE is placing 64 port VDSL2 DSLAM racks (from ZTE) in select buildings and then back-hauling with GBE (10G-EPON). So by choosing buildings with newer cabling there should not be any performance issues.

I don't believe TRUE has yet announced availability of this service for Udon Thani.

TRUE's caveats:

For Your Information

The VDSL – hi-speed Unlimited Package is a non-guarantee speed service. The connection rate depends on the number of users at the time of connection and the congestion period.

The connection speed refers to which between your computer and True network. The actual download speed may be lower than the maximum speed required upon the time of applying for service especially international downloads.

The download speed may be lower than the connection speed as a result of several factors including condition and distance of the telephone line, computer, connection speed and availability of Internet data as well as server and router of the visited websites and any other factors.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I doubt there is much of an improvement in ping time because electron speed is limited to the speed of light [...]

No they are not. Electricity travels at about 2/3 of the speed of light.

If I recall correctly this is actually starting to be a hurdle for modern computers. Again, if I recall correctly.

I doubt there is much of an improvement in ping time because electron speed is limited to the speed of light [...]

If I recall correctly this is actually starting to be a hurdle for modern computers. Again, if I recall correctly.

Correct when traveling through a substance such as copper, fiber optics, etc. But in a vacuum like outer space they do travel at the speed of light because they can travel in a straight line and without bumping into anything. And even when our technology reaches the point of creating fiber optics that don't slow down electrons/light particles due to the path followed, the speed of light will still be the upper limit--well, until we develop warp speed technology that is. Cheers.

Electrons NEVER travel at the speed of light. Period. They do not have a zero rest mass.

Only changes in the electric field can propagate at the speed of light in a vacuum NOT the electrons themselves.

In 12 gauge copper wire for example, the velocity of the electrons is just shy of 80cm/hr.

Correct when traveling through a substance such as copper, fiber optics, etc. But in a vacuum like outer space they do travel at the speed of light because they can travel in a straight line and without bumping into anything. And even when our technology reaches the point of creating fiber optics that don't slow down electrons/light particles due to the path followed, the speed of light will still be the upper limit--well, until we develop warp speed technology that is. Cheers.

Edited by bangkockney

Thai ISPs don't use the electron electric fields; they only use the actual electrons moving at 80cm/hr....that's why the ping times are so high and international download speeds are so low. Kidding...kidding. ;)

Seriously though my intent/meaning was whether we are talking electrons, protons, neutrons, light particles, electric/electromagnetic fields, smoke signals, etc., the maximum speed of these things or their assoicated fields is limited to the speed of light in a vacuum until someone proves some particles such as neutrinos may travel faster than the speed of light. Cheers.

Electrons NEVER travel at the speed of light. Period. They do not have a zero rest mass.

Only changes in the electric field can propagate at the speed of light in a vacuum NOT the electrons themselves.

In 12 gauge copper wire for example, the velocity of the electrons is just shy of 80cm/hr.

Edited by Pib