50Mb True Vdsl2

negreanu

Got True ultra high speed 50mb installed today. And so for anyone considering it and willing to pay the high price tag and in one of the currently few buildings in BKK that support it, I can highly recommend it.

Installation was fine however be warned they are only supplying a wireless G VDSL2 router by ZTE which basically means you will not get your full throughput of the 50mb on that wireless network. So be prepared to use LAN cable with the router or put it into Bridge mode and use a Wireless N Router.

Having said that WIreless N performance is hit or miss with regard getting the full 50mb I would recommend LAN or Netgear 200mb Powerline adaptors to guarantee the throughput.

Please also note the engineers Samsung netbook and lenovo 1.6ghz thinkpad were unable to achieve the download speeds however on faster processors 2.0ghz core2duo 2.66ghz i7 speed was much faster than his 2 laptops.

Heres a few quick screenshots from this morning:

1. Bell VDSL Speed test in Canada:

2. Usenet Downloads from Giganews West coast USA server.

3. 3 Simultaneous downloads from itunes Store (USA) please check istats menu download speed on the top menu bar for speed indication.

4. Avatar 1080p Streaming video (Stutter, buffering free) showing 1080p and the streaming rate on the istats menu bar.

bellspeedtestvdsl.pngusenetdownloads.pngitunesdownloads.pngyoutube1080pstreamingspq.png

Edited by negreanu

Looks really fast!

Download 50Mps / Upload 3Mps / 5,600 Baht per month

Download 30Mps / Upload 2Mps / 3,600 Baht per month

Probably worth it to save on the headaches of having a dud connection. Hopefully in a reasonably short time they will roll this out to more and more areas.

Wonder if an enterprising person could create a pay to play wifi point with this.

TheWalkingMan

Thanks for the post... good info... and I'm sure True will roll the service out more broadly with time... how much time??? who knows.....

It does seem a bit crazy, however, that if I understood the OP correctly, they're handing out G wireless routers with the service....

For paying 5,600 baht per month for a supposed 50Mbit plan, do you think they could spring for the few extra baht it takes to provide an N???

Thanks for the post... good info... and I'm sure True will roll the service out more broadly with time... how much time??? who knows.....

It does seem a bit crazy, however, that if I understood the OP correctly, they're handing out G wireless routers with the service....

For paying 5,600 baht per month for a supposed 50Mbit plan, do you think they could spring for the few extra baht it takes to provide an N???

It's being brought up at the VDSL meeting on monday apparently....Won't hold my breath tho.

Even Wireless N struggles sometimes so if you really need the throughput Lan or Powerline are the only feasible options.

Netgear's powerline products are excellent and they have the new 500mb coming out later this month to replace the current 200mb system.

Edited by negreanu

I think this is more of a TRIAL or Beta test rather than a full product roll-out. A lot of service providers, including TRUE and TOT are looking to provide the so-called "triple play" (voice, video and data) over the "last-mile" (copper or fiber) to customers. (Video meaning alternative to cable or satellite TV.) VDSL2 interoperability is a bit of an issue right now so perhaps this was the only modem they could find which would interwork with their VDSL2 line cards (from Huawei, I think). A WiFi G device may not support wire speed but it does support 99% of the applications. Obviously downloading stuff at high speed isn't the real application. After all, it would take 4+ days to watch all the crap you could download in one day, and maybe 3 months to listen to all you could download in one day.

what kind of ping are you getting to east coast and west coast USA? what about europe? what about japan?

Would be insane if this gave you a 80-110ping somewhere in the world to play video games.

Ping time has nothing to do with bandwidth...

what kind of ping are you getting to east coast and west coast USA? what about europe? what about japan?

Would be insane if this gave you a 80-110ping somewhere in the world to play video games.

Preaching to the choir, but a low ping time sure makes a difference in how fast your connection can "get out of the starting blocks" in getting a few bytes received on the game server somewhere in the world...when milliseconds can make all the difference in game play/winning/losing. I doubt there is much of an improvement in ping time because electron speed is limited to the speed of light, but a lot more of those electrons sure can go through a VDSL pipe. :lol:

Does anybody know/understand True's reason/rationale for rolling out their high speed service on a building by building basis???

I can understand starting out with limited areas because of the need to wire the network. But why down to just individual, isolated single buildings?

So, how come there is enough bandwidth available for such a high-speed connection in/out of Thailand, but there's supposedly not enough bandwidth in/out of Thailand to support my 3Mbps 3BB Premier account?

So, how come there is enough bandwidth available for such a high-speed connection in/out of Thailand, but there's supposedly not enough bandwidth in/out of Thailand to support my 3Mbps 3BB Premier account?

It's your choice of provider. True has the most international bandwidth available to them compared to the other providers.

Does anybody know/understand True's reason/rationale for rolling out their high speed service on a building by building basis???

I can understand starting out with limited areas because of the need to wire the network. But why down to just individual, isolated single buildings?

According to the engineer he said the equipment in the building downstairs has to be upgraded with ZTE equipment also the dslam has to be within a certain distance and also been upgraded for VDSL2.

Ping is 250ms to west coast USA on True VDSL2.

Edited by negreanu

Again, this is a TRIAL so assuming they want to learn as much as they can (testing equipment, interoperability, provisioning, billing, usage patterns, etc.) so they are going to choose a limited number of installations. I'm kind of surprised they have as many as they do but some are obvious (Fortune, Panthip, TRUE's HQ); after that its a matter of targeting potential customers who might be interested in a 3-way bundle going forward. Given the distance limitations each building needs to have a line card rack, and these building presumably have really good in-house wiring. So when you put all those together your left with a limited number of buildings to offer the service.

This service will never be rolled out across the existing TRUE fixed line network, in case that wasn't obvious.

Verison's FiOS 50 Mbps service (they installed fiber to the home, FTTH, in many areas) is $140 (USD) per month and no bandwidth cap (AFAIK, but in their ToS they say, "...You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, "). Comcast, another big U.S. ISP has a 250 Gb bandwidth cap, aggregate up and down per month.

True's VDSL service is NOT a trial, not a beta or any other pre-release.

It is a product that will continually be rolled out where able. Take a look at the upcoming buildings list.

Not sure where the people on here are saying its a trial/beta etc. Its simply not the case.

True actually want to roll it out in as many places as they can where the building infrastructure and geographic location allows.

It is not a BETA where the service will end after a certain amount of time or they will discontinue it.

Edited by negreanu

A lot of service providers, including TRUE and TOT are looking to provide the so-called "triple play" (voice, video and data) over the "last-mile" (copper or fiber) to customers.

Loma, I understand and know, from a marketing perspective, that's where ISPs tend to go once their networks get enough horsepower... They want to lock up all the business, and revenue, that they can...

However, thus far, True has been marketing this new service solely as an Internet access vehicle. I've seen nothing from them even mentioning VOIP or TV in connection with this... Nor have I seen them do any with bundling offers combining the new Internet service with the existing True UBC and/or True Move services they already offer...

Lately, back in the U.S., I've seen some advertising offers talking about Verizon FIOS packages of Internet, TV and phone service for $89 U.S. per month (though apparently at slower speeds), or, translate that as to 3,100 baht here, which is less than the current price for True's 30 Mbit offering. I'd sign up for triple play FIOS at 3,100 a month in a heartbeat....

post-53787-018854500 1283745910_thumb.jp

post-53787-097445400 1283745911_thumb.jp

post-53787-087585900 1283745914_thumb.jp

Edited by jfchandler

I guess I didn't really get a clear answer to the question I posed earlier... I live in an individual house, not a big condo tower...

I don't know what's technically involved in making this service function...

So, is it a situation where, to get it, they'd have to install some kind of involved hardware in each house (location), or it's a matter of (as with their current DSL service) wiring a neighborhood, and then simply running a line connection from the street to the house?

This service will never be rolled out across the existing TRUE fixed line network, in case that wasn't obvious.

A lot of service providers, including TRUE and TOT are looking to provide the so-called "triple play" (voice, video and data) over the "last-mile" (copper or fiber) to customers.

Loma, I understand and know, from a marketing perspective, that's where ISPs tend to go once their networks get enough horsepower... They want to lock up all the business, and revenue, that they can...

However, thus far, True has been marketing this new service solely as an Internet access vehicle. I've seen nothing from them even mentioning VOIP or TV in connection with this... Nor have I seen them do any with bundling offers combining the new Internet service with the existing True UBC and/or True Move services they already offer...

Lately, back in the U.S., I've seen some advertising offers talking about Verizon FIOS packages of Internet, TV and phone service for $99 U.S. per month, or, translate that as to 3,100 baht here, which is less than the current price for True's 30 Mbit offering. I'd sign up for triple play FIOS at 3,100 a month in a heartbeat....

singapore just rolled out their 100MB fiber lines at SGD$95/THB2128 VoIP; Video Search; TV Apps store, 10GB video Storage

I guess I didn't really get a clear answer to the question I posed earlier... I live in an individual house, not a big condo tower...

I don't know what's technically involved in making this service function...

So, is it a situation where, to get it, they'd have to install some kind of involved hardware in each house (location), or it's a matter of (as with their current DSL service) wiring a neighborhood, and then simply running a line connection from the street to the house?

Unlikely you will ever get it. Condo building needs to have quality wiring plus VDSL cards installed in the PABX room of the actual building then the DSLAM has to be within 2km and VDSL equipment installed there.

I really do not think you will see VDSL2 deployed out with major buildings in Bangkok unless perhaps in the future they may enable a complete mooban with VDSL2.

Preaching to the choir, but a low ping time sure makes a difference in how fast your connection can "get out of the starting blocks" in getting a few bytes received on the game server somewhere in the world...when milliseconds can make all the difference in game play/winning/losing. I doubt there is much of an improvement in ping time because electron speed is limited to the speed of light, but a lot more of those electrons sure can go through a VDSL pipe. :lol:

Low ping times might help bandwidth, but better bandwidth does not in any way guarantee better ping times!

Ping times are a result of only two things:

Amount of hops, i.e. how many pieces of equipment between you and the other side and,

physical distance between you and the other side.

In normal situations, it should be the latter dictating the ping time and not so much the equipment in between, unless said equipment is overloaded.

FYI, a bit of physics, without any equipment in between, ever 10 ms of ping time covers around 930 miles.

The USA (where most of the content is hosted) is pretty much on the other side of the globe, which if the cable was running in a perfectly straight line (which it isn't) would result in a ping of a tad over 130 ms (12,000 miles).

If you put in extra distance due to not so straight lines and all the equipment in between (totally needed to facilitate signals to travel that far), 200 to 250 msec ping to the US would be pretty good!

Lately, back in the U.S., I've seen some advertising offers talking about Verizon FIOS packages of Internet, TV and phone service for $89 U.S. per month (though apparently at slower speeds), or, translate that as to 3,100 baht here, which is less than the current price for True's 30 Mbit offering. I'd sign up for triple play FIOS at 3,100 a month in a heartbeat....

post-53787-018854500 1283745910_thumb.jp

post-53787-097445400 1283745911_thumb.jp

post-53787-087585900 1283745914_thumb.jp

That's why I keep referring to this VDSL2 service as a trial, but clearly that word seems to upset people. TRUE's own executives have call this an "initial phase, targeting 10,000 customers in a limited number of buildings." TRUE's initial focus is on deploying the equipment; the ZTE rack can support 64 VDSL lines with a GE uplink, and getting customers to bite on the connection. (In the telecomm world most people would call this a trial.) Some of their marketing does mention applications other than downloading files, such as this page . They'll start to roll out bundles with voice ( a bit of a no-op here for obvious reasons, but they could package an international calling option and use VoIP, and bundle TRUEmove mobile and iPhone packages ) and TV (over the VDSL2 line). At least that's what they said they'd do, in various interviews. TRUE already does offer quite a few bundles with internet, mobile, fixed line and WiFi packaging.

Edited by lomatopo

initial phase

Exactly what it is. Not a Beta, Trial or anything else it is a fully released product that is not going away anytime soon. Referring to it as a trial could misinform people that the product:

1) does not work 100%

2) may end at any time or if True decide not to continue with it.

I believe the TRIAL of the TRUE VDSL2 service ended in Feb2010 before the product official launch in July.

Just to clarify for those considering it. It is a fully launched product, with support etc. and any referral to it as a trial is incorrect. Initial Phase of deployment is correct but it is no way a trial for customers.

Edited by negreanu