Modify "Honda Pcx": Vario + R-Box

albhol

I have recently test driven the Honda PCX and the chassis has me excited,

but I would like to have the drive unit more powerful, so I'm thinking about a modification.

I have found offers to modify the vario roles and the R-box,

in order to provide a better torque and higher top speed.

The price of about 4000 THB seems reasonable, but I am concerned about the change of the default Honda settings.

Does anyone have personal experiences with such a modification?

Edited by albhol

No..

A user posted about offering kits on here, and in the classifieds... But when a buddy was interested he couldnt get any response from adverts, emails, or PM's.. The guy just vanished after posting he would supply the kits.

I believe that the person you mentioned is currently residing in Honda's facility at Guantanamo bay  :whistling:

No..

A user posted about offering kits on here, and in the classifieds... But when a buddy was interested he couldnt get any response from adverts, emails, or PM's.. The guy just vanished after posting he would supply the kits.

i have tried to contact scuddy aswell through emails and pm's. i got an awnser once from apparantly a co-worker stating that scuddy was currently in malaysia and would get back to me asap. this was about a month ago.

OP: I'm very interested in modifying my PCX for better performance aswell. Please keep us posted.

I've got a PS150i Honda with the GY6 engine ( Same same as the PCX but different)

Bike/Scooter made by Honda Italy.

I've changed the variator, semi race clutch, clutch bell/drum, 9.5gr rollers, torque spring. This was a "kit" from Malossi. Also changed the belt to a Kevlar belt for peace of mind.

It all needed to be replaced as the clutch was worn down and glazed over, clutch bell was blued from the heat and variator was slightly warped.

Cost for this was US$650. Installed in 40min's.

Later I changed the std exhaust for a Carbon Fibre Yoshimura system.

This is the best bang for buck mod. Change out the exhaust. Gave more power than the transmission "supporting" mods. This cost me US$400. Had to get the shop to make up a custom silencer as its a racing muffler. The supplied silencer is still too loud.

The current setup is great for getting off the line. 0 - 60kph its a rocket, 40 - 60 its very quick to overtake cars,bikes.

I don't go more than 60kph due to the road conditions and other "idiots" who think they own the road but it gets up to 100kph no problems with a 100kg rider. Airblades, waves, SH150i,125cc PCX, 135 Hyate's, RGV's and Nuovo's get blown away, will be quicker if there was a lighter rider too.

Total US$1050 transmission and muffler supplied and fitted.

Not sure what a R-Box is (Variator as this holds the rollers?)

Putting in lighter rollers or sliders will give you off the line accel but low top speed, Heavier rollers will give you slow off the line accel but you gain possible mid - top end speed and accel (depending on how heavy)

You can also put stronger clutch springs so you need higher RPM before the clutch "bites"

As for changing the default Honda settings what do you mean by that?

You want more torque and top speed, thats going to change Hondas "default settings"

When the clutch bites/friction point, cruising rpm, that will change with changing the rollers.

As my bike is now the cruising rpm is slightly higher, fuel economy is still roughly the same but out on the highway its far nicer and responsive to ride, not to mention the burbles and pops as you come off the throttle

Discalimer: I'm not currently in the motorbike business.coffee1.gif

I have however been developing an interest in Varitors. My contact says he is developing one for the PCX. He says he will sent me one for testing so I will need a volunteer, if I don't buy a PCX. tongue.gif Not sure if i can squeeze an exhaust out of him.

How much more speed do you need. The dyno chart he sent me says 107 kph with max power at 12.49 hp. Don't know if that speed is max or just what he got with the dyno load. The diameter of the variator determines the max gearing and top speed is very much about aerodynamics. But "scooters" are urban so he's probably gone for maximum acceleration.

Edited by VocalNeal

I can test it on my PCX... Just tell me what I have to do and I will do that!!! :-)

Don't want so much more top speed, just a little bit more... But I would really like more acceleration (0-100)...

Depends where you are. wink.gif I don't have any doubt about the improved acceleration.

I'll have to think about the big picture, if I'm going to be serious about this i really should do with one of the top local Bike magazines. Still maybe they can just witness.

Edited by VocalNeal

Vocal.. i think the Local bike shops have this sorted already. When i went to ninja250shop last week they looked like they were already heavily into modifiying PCX's

Yes but there is always someone who wants something different or higher quality.

Edited by VocalNeal

I can test it on my PCX... Just tell me what I have to do and I will do that!!! :-)

Don't want so much more top speed, just a little bit more... But I would really like more acceleration (0-100)...

[/quote

I am from the Philippines and own a honda pcx. I greatly improve my 0-100 acceleration by merely changing the roller weights from 18 grams to 16 grams. Hope this helps.

Yeah thats the accel mod.. Heres how I understand auto modding to be, never done it so could be wrong.

Weight changes = higher revs = higher acceleration.. Possibly a little more wear and tear on the engine, working a bit harder. But then if your a full throttle kinda guy thats what you get.

Variator end stops = higher top speed..

Yeah thats the accel mod.. Heres how I understand auto modding to be, never done it so could be wrong.

Weight changes = higher revs = higher acceleration.. Possibly a little more wear and tear on the engine, working a bit harder. But then if your a full throttle kinda guy thats what you get.

There are a few factors.

The clutch springs can be made stiffer this means the engine rpm has to be more during the initial part of the take-off. This overcomes the tendency for the engine to bog down off the line. This is like a "High Stall" converter on a car automatic transmission.

Lowering the weight of each variator roller means that the engine has to spin faster to generate the centrifugal force necessary to move the plates together to increase the gearing.

In order for the ratio to change the force generated by the spinning variator weights has to overcome the spring force in the secondary pulley. So altering that spring rate can affect acceleration.

Finally and most in important is the shape of the ramp that the rollers follow. This determines the rate at which the transmission changes ratio.

Yes PCX has end stops on the stock variator so a simple way to increase speed is to machine them off. This allows the weights to travel out further and exert more force on the variator pulley. That is what was being developed by the guy that is either in "Malaysia or Guantanamo".

Of course if a Variator is made slightly larger then it overcomes this problem.

PCX has a rev limiter which limits speed to about 105 kph. Bypassing this allows the engine to rev more and so increases speed. These extra revs of course put more strain on the engine. Iif the scooter is used for urban riding, which is probably 98.8% of users, then the extra speed is of little or no use. Even highway riders will soon tire of the extra revs.

Again making the Variator slightly larger increases top speed without increasing rpm. Like an overdrive.

PCX also has a low end "restriction" on the ECU. I don't profess to know what that is for, maybe to stop wheelies off the line? From the dyno graph there seems to be a sudden drop in power, at revs equivalent to about 20 kph.

One can spend a few bath for lighter weights or as Miko says over $1000 in improvements if one wishes. Quality follows cost.

Edited by VocalNeal

As I understand... the tuning of Mr. Aling, it allows driving at a higher translation.

This means:

If you go with the PCX 108km/h, then it stutters and does not go any further, you have full throttle at 8,000 rpm.

If you use Alings Vario Tuning, and you go 108 km / h, then you've 3/4tel gas at about 6,000 rotations, which means that even if you drive 120 km/h, you save the engine!

The rev limiter is still at 8,000 rpm, but only when you reach the 135 km/h.

If questions are for the technical implementation, please do not ask me :-(

As I understand... the tuning of Mr. Aling, it allows driving at a higher translation.

This means:

If you go with the PCX 108km/h, then it stutters and does not go any further, you have full throttle at 8,000 rpm.

If you use Alings Vario Tuning, and you go 108 km / h, then you've 3/4tel gas at about 6,000 rotations, which means that even if you drive 120 km/h, you save the engine!

The rev limiter is still at 8,000 rpm, but only when you reach the 135 km/h.

If questions are for the technical implementation, please do not ask me :-(

PCX standard produces just over 10hp, an exhaust adds a bit more maybe 1/2 Hp

12 hp gives about 120 kph, in theory! To do 135 kph you need about 16hp. Aerodynamic resistance is related to horsepower by a factor of HP^1/3

Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races ..... Carrol Shelby.

Has anyone changed the CDI out with a aftermarket module?

The factory CDI may have a built in revlimit / revcut. Aftermarket "racing' CDI's can raise your revlimit and you gain more top end kph

The lighter the roller/slider weights the faster your initial off the line acceleration at the cost of top speed. Finding a balance is the key.

Edited by mik0

I've got a PS150i Honda with the GY6 engine ( Same same as the PCX but different)

Bike/Scooter made by Honda Italy.

Sir I want to increase the displacement of my honda pcx from 125 to 150 cc. Do you think the block of the PS150i will fit my pcx. Thank you in advance for your reply. More power to you sir.

This is my next upgrade

http://www.malossistore.be/Prodotto.aspx?type=M&MM=MO/HOPS150&C=3111588

180cc cyl upgrade.

There are plenty of cyl kits for the GY6 however the Hondas are liquid cooled, most of the big bore cyl kits (upto 200cc) are for air cooled, same with the 4 valve heads, these I have been told by my bike shop owner are not suitable.

The PCX has low friction coating on the bores and/or piston. If you change out the cyl and piston then you will loose the low friction coating (not sure if you will be able to tell the difference since its only 1 piston/cyl)

Here is the listed parts for the PCX

http://www.malossistore.be/famiglia2.aspx?MM=MO/HOPC125

As there is no sign of a cyl kit upgrade so I'm hesitant to say that the PS/SH/Dylan/@ GY6 150cc cyl will fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

i own a Honda PCX 12/2009 and have just orderd a small tuning kit for 1.200THB

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=th&sl=th&tl=en&u=http://www.jrmotor.com/jrmotor-racing.html&prev=hp&rurl=translate.google.com

on coming Saturday my honda dealer is going to make the rendezvous and i will let you know about the results. The website is promising slightly more high speed but a lot of mor accell. power. I will see.

Cheers jay

This is my next upgrade

http://www.malossistore.be/Prodotto.aspx?type=M&MM=MO/HOPS150&C=3111588

180cc cyl upgrade.

There are plenty of cyl kits for the GY6 however the Hondas are liquid cooled, most of the big bore cyl kits (upto 200cc) are for air cooled, same with the 4 valve heads, these I have been told by my bike shop owner are not suitable.

The PCX has low friction coating on the bores and/or piston. If you change out the cyl and piston then you will loose the low friction coating (not sure if you will be able to tell the difference since its only 1 piston/cyl)

Here is the listed parts for the PCX

http://www.malossistore.be/famiglia2.aspx?MM=MO/HOPC125

As there is no sign of a cyl kit upgrade so I'm hesitant to say that the PS/SH/Dylan/@ GY6 150cc cyl will fit.

The Honda PCX uses a EBJ-JF28 engine, which is a complete new design - not even related to the ancient GY6 engine, I would be surprised if any part would fix including the simplest nut or bolt...

Hi all,

i own a Honda PCX 12/2009 and have just orderd a small tuning kit for 1.200THB

http://translate.goo...late.google.com

on coming Saturday my honda dealer is going to make the rendezvous and i will let you know about the results. The website is promising slightly more high speed but a lot of mor accell. power. I will see.

Cheers jay

It's almost Saturday evening... whistling.gif

Keep us informed wai.gif

Here is a modification to the variator I have done on a Ruckus/Zoomer. The the PCX and the Ruckus/Zoomer are comparable to each other on the parts schematic.

I shave/sanded .5-1mm off the drive face which pushes the belt higher on the variator, thus giving you more top speed. I think it might work on the PCX too. A new drive face is inexpensive if you mess up the modification.

This mod requires lighter rollers. I use a gram scale and a round file to lighten the inside of the rollers.

Here is a "how to" I put together for modifying the drive face.

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28287

Good luck!

Been thinking of a T-max but have to stop somewhere, will sell my Suzuki and we will see :)

Me too (and been thinking about your suzuki too !!)..

But at some stage I do have to admit the wife has a point.. Do I really need 4 bikes (I say of course !!)..