Dangerous Motorcades

Richb2004v2

Several times I've had my car journey held up as the road comes to a halt due to passing dignitaries/ celebrities. I find this most annoying and inconvenient. The panic evident in the police as they block the road is quite ridiculous. The worst thing though is the speed with which these VIPs fly past. Sometimes they are accompanied by huge SUVs or even buses which also hurtle past. I know it's dangerous as I have a Thai friend who was seriously injured many years ago as one of these vehicles hit him. I don't know how these hi-so types get away with it. And what kind of example is it to set to the mindless masses.

Everyone hates them, the Thais just accept them as inconvience and a fact of life in this country. We foreigners speak out our feelings a bit more. I think they're a legacy from third world days when politicians were so wayyyyyy above normal citizens that they got the path swept for them before they walked. As far as I'm aware, celebs don't have police motorcades...only senior politicians and royalty. And I bet even some of them are embarrassed by the hi-so/normal division it continues to portray. 4 police bikes (as in the UK) are plenty for anyone.

They go down in the list of non-necessities/should be abolished by the public, along with:

groups of bodyguards for young rich in nightclubs

having to sit on the floor when Khunyings come into the shop and you have to talk to them personally

being able to show a businesscard of a senior civil servant to grant you an unfair advantage

I like the Brunei style of motorcade. Bike cops will blast a couple miles ahead and make everyone pull over, then (usually Sulty) will rip past in a souped up Merc or Ferrari, followed by a Beamer full of tooled-up specials. Quite a sight as Sulty blasts past at high speed waving at you. Very nearly ran a cop biker over as he shot out into the main highway without looking. :blink: It's apparently a 500-dollar fine if one doesn't pull over.

They are a real pain here though as you can be caught up for ages. In Chiang Mai they'll close the ring road lights even though the motorcade sails under the main intersections. Not fun for the poor souls on bikes stuck in the searing heat. I guess it'll pass in a few generations.

I too feel sorry for the police who have the task of stopping traffic for these motorcades - not only will they be in serious trouble if they don't stop traffic but they put their lives at risk doing so.

On Saturday I was on the Expressway about a kilometer before the Sukhumvit turnoff and without any warning a policeman ran out from the side of the road to stop traffic; we were doing about 100 kph with 5 people in the car so it was not an easy task to stop, we missed the chap by inches - literally.

Patrick

trust me, things have gotten better.

Until the late 1990's (pre-skytrain) any two bit deputy minister could have the road cordened off. And it happened often.

Now you don't really see them, unless it is a genunie V in the VIP, and even then, not always if they don't want them. Friends have even seen Princess Sirindhorn catch the skytrain from Emporium to Siam, sans the entourage...

The few times I've been caught in it have been on the same road. For about 2-3km along the road there was a Policeman every 200m along the edge. An uneven row of soldiers blowing bugles also appeared at the entrance to a military base. It must be some expense to pull so many police every time these people drive past. I like the idea of Siridhorn catching the skytrain. Could it really have been her? Surely not.

This is one of the advantages of living upcountry. We don't have as many motorcades as you do in Krungthep. Thankfully, my daily commute to the office takes no longer than half an hour. I live in Chiang Rai.

The few times I've been caught in it have been on the same road. For about 2-3km along the road there was a Policeman every 200m along the edge. An uneven row of soldiers blowing bugles also appeared at the entrance to a military base. It must be some expense to pull so many police every time these people drive past. I like the idea of Siridhorn catching the skytrain. Could it really have been her? Surely not.

Apart from coups, motorcades is really the only thing the cops and army can do well....

As for Siridhorn, the thing that gave it away was the one body guard and a lady in waiting in tow. That, and the delayed reaction from seated passengers who (after a few mins) got up and offered her a seat, to which I beleive she declined.

Apart from coups, motorcades is really the only thing the cops and army can do well....

As for Siridhorn, the thing that gave it away was the one body guard and a lady in waiting in tow. That, and the delayed reaction from seated passengers who (after a few mins) got up and offered her a seat, to which I beleive she declined.

Surely a Bangkok urban myth...I'm sure it's never happened...except for its inauguration run :)

Surely a Bangkok urban myth...I'm sure it's never happened...except for its inauguration run :)

Definetly happened, my old boss (a farang) was in the same carriage.

Matches with my experience of HRH Siridhorn at Siam Discovery Centre. She popped on the escalator in front of us without any fanfare and no blocking of the way for other punters. Just HRH, a uniformed officer and a lady in waiting to carry the bags. And me and my wife 5 steps behind.

And what kind of example is it to set to the mindless masses.

The one intended.

We are higher and better than you. You are not important. We are. You do as we say. Be grateful and worship us for the crumbs we so publicly throw you, for we are the divine ones.

The mantra from the 'chosen ones'.

Edited by thomo

i was leaving phuket last year noticed police everywhere at every junction any way pulled into petrol garage for refreshments, noticed all the petrol attendents looking down road i must have just got trough before they started stopping the traffic then petrol bloke tells me to go so i pull out look in my mirror and see this convoy of about 6 suv doing well over 100km no other cars on road ,so i let them go by then put my foot down and joined the back of them .never got of the island so quick..............................:D

Definetly happened, my old boss (a farang) was in the same carriage.

Matches with my experience of HRH Siridhorn at Siam Discovery Centre. She popped on the escalator in front of us without any fanfare and no blocking of the way for other punters. Just HRH, a uniformed officer and a lady in waiting to carry the bags. And me and my wife 5 steps behind.

Well that's an exception. She must have requested a quick shopping trip. Most of the time, if it's an official opening or appointment, if you so much as appear on a floor three above them but are visible, they'll radio to security to move you on. Even if you're in the distance.

Well that's an exception. She must have requested a quick shopping trip. Most of the time, if it's an official opening or appointment, if you so much as appear on a floor three above them but are visible, they'll radio to security to move you on. Even if you're in the distance.

Well she lives next door to Siam Discovery, so being there 'unoffically' probably is not a big deal. As with the BTS...emporium to Siam means she can get home 'easily'.

To be honest, the fact of her presense (she is instantly recognisable) makes you stop in your tracks anyway, so the path for her I'm guessing is always clear, regardless.

In this particular case, I reckon there is very much a official/unofficial divide, with the official oppointments necessarily being a big deal for all involved.

Not saying the casual trips are common place, and i've told the forum of the two verifiable instances that I know of. But,I suspect that low key trips like this for her aren't rare.

Edited by samran

Every American of a certain age remembers exactly where they were when they first heard that JFK was shot -- Although maybe sometimes the precautions go a little over the top, no country should want to go through the same experience.

Part of living in a country capital.. I was late for a very important meeting the other day as it was totally unexpected as they always are. For me that is the most frustration since I have rear view mirrors and use them but not knowing when they'll occur since of course they don't give any advance notification is a real PITA :annoyed: ..

I think these motorcades are funny most of the time, for most part anyway. Where I live it’s just a joke, they come roaring down the road near where I live (on the 107 north of CM, near Mae Taeng) no traffic to talk of really. The Hi-so VIP’s, Let them get on with it, if it give them wood.

The dangerous motorcades for me are these tour mini busses, that drive down the road in 4’s and 5’s, driven by morons close to flat out with a couple of feet between them and they don’t stop for anything. Muppets!

Yes the bus/coach ones are terrible. They drive like they are on rails, with no regard for any other traffic. Many of them are obviously drivers for huge corporations. How the companies employ them is incredible. I guess the passengers think it is normal driving. :blink:

Not saying the casual trips are common place, and i've told the forum of the two verifiable instances that I know of. But,I suspect that low key trips like this for her aren't rare.

I checked into a hotel in Ayuthaya not so long ago, the security there said she had been staying in the same suite about a week previous. Apparently she'd personally booked 3 or 4 nights on the internet and then showed up the same day. He said she was only accompanied by a couple of people. As soon as the local police found out about her presence, they had the whole hotel locked down and surrounded, in the translation I got it sounded like the army showed up too.

She'd checked out within 24hrs as she didn't like the attention... ;)