Bringing Wine Into Thailand From Se Asia

tonititan

The other post about bringing food into Thailand got me thinking. I am going to be visiting Lao and Cambodia soon, and I have heard that both places have excellent, affordable wine. I'm trying to figure out how to get some back into Thailand without messing with customs fees. It appears that liquor allowance is 1 liter, correct? So that's only 1 bottle of wine. :( In my ~15-20 trips into Thailand, I've never been asked to put my luggage through the scanners in the "nothing to declare" line, so I guess it's a matter of whether I want to risk it or not, huh? Does anyone know what would happen if I got caught with more than 1 bottle? Would I just have to turn it over, pay a fee, or worse? What if I put one in each bag, and snuck one in my purse after landing....maybe they wouldn't notice that it was all my luggage. I would like to hear from someone who experienced this.

Also this may be a silly question, but does anyone know if the airports in Luang Prabang and Phnom Pehn prohibit liquids onboard like other countries do? In my research, I read somewhere that it might be possible to carry the wine in my carry-on luggage.

Or, if anyone knows any sly ways to get wine in, I would appreciate the advice.

I always have a few cans of beer in my on=board luggage when leaving Cambodia (scared of flying); it has never been an issue.

But where would you buy the wine? They do check for liquids before you go through immigration, and there is no decent wine in the Duty Free. Not sure why you think that wine is affordable in Cambodia?

But where would you buy the wine? They do check for liquids before you go through immigration, and there is no decent wine in the Duty Free. Not sure why you think that wine is affordable in Cambodia?

I would probably buy it before going to the airport. I have read about affordable wine in Cambodia in several places, including this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/288337-red-wine-best-buy/ (post # 8) Do you think that's inaccurate?

interesting topic -can you just bring more,declare and pay tax?

what i know for sure is that the penalties can be draconian when it comes to alcohol; and tobacco coming into thailand.

unlike with drugs it;'s mostly fines but they can be very high from what i remember reading.

No, you can't bring in more and declare it and pay the tax.

I would probably buy it before going to the airport. I have read about affordable wine in Cambodia in several places, including this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/288337-red-wine-best-buy/ (post # 8) Do you think that's inaccurate?

There are plenty of places to buy decent, affordable wine in Phnom Penh. Try Celliers d'Asie, Pencil Supermarket or Bayon Market. Even Lucky Markets (4 branches in PP) have a reasonable selection at considerably less than the rip-off prices charged in Thailand.

As to getting your swag back into Thailand, I'm afraid I can't help you there, as fortunately I no longer have to contend with Thai customs and immigration officials.

Edited by Rumpole

I would probably buy it before going to the airport

Then you would have to put it into your suitcase. Wine is fairly expensive here, too though I do not really know how it compares with Thailand.

Prices compare very favourably with Thailand and most other places in Asia too. It has traveled a long way, so obviously it is going to be more expensive than, say, Europe. Australian friends tell me that prices for Australian wine in Phnom Penh are about the same as in Australia.

You may have to shop around a little, but there are certainly some reasonable deals to be had.

Edited by Rumpole

A couple of years ago I did a visa run to Viengchang, and on the way back over the friendship bridge (I was on a bus) I popped into one of the duty free (?) shops on the Lao side and bought a couple of boxes of Aussie wine - 10 litres. Good price (can't remember how much, but a lot cheaper than Big C!), and very drinkable wine.

No-one took a blind bit of notice on either side of the border. And I wasn't trying to conceal them. Just had them sitting by my feet.

I am not an experienced smuggler. yes i love wine love it drink it, make it

Do you find yourself confused by the terms wine reviewers use when they’re writing? Do you sometimes wonder just what the description on the bottle itself actually means? Well here’s a quick glossary of commonly used wine terms. We hope these will help you understand and appreciate wine a little better.

Acidity: Without acidity wine would taste flat, dull and very dead. Acidity causes that mouth-watering sensation on the inside of your cheeks when you take a sip of wine.

Aroma: When you see a wine described in terms of apples, cherries, citrus, honey or other fruits and spices, remember the wine does not contain any of these. The aroma or bouquet simply reminds us of other familiar smells.

Balance: Wine with a good balance means that all its various aspects – acidity, tannin, body and flavours are working well to complement one another.

Body: This refers to how the wine feels in the mouth. A full-bodied wine feels ‘heavier’ than a light-bodied wine.

Complexity: The complexity refers to the array of different flavours and aromas found in any particular wine. Fine wines can develop complex layers of flavours over time

Corked: Corked wine tastes and smells musty. Corking occurs when bacteria forms on the bottom of the timber cork.

Crisp: The word ‘crisp’ when used to describe a wine refers to its ‘freshness’ or ‘refreshing’ qualities. A wine’s acidity can be described as crisp or flat.

Cuvee: This means ‘blended’ – i.e. wine that is made from two or more varieties of grape. Most wine is in fact blended.

Dry: Dry refers to a wine’s sugar level. Dry wines have very little (or no) sugar. Nearly all wines on sale are dry.

Fruity: Wines don’t contain a variety of fruits, but often their aromas and tastes can remind us of various types of fruit.

Length: This refers simply to how long the flavour of the wine stays in the mouth. As a rule of thumb, the better the wine, the longer the length.

New World: This term is applied to the ‘new’ winemaking countries: Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and North and South America.

Oak: Wines that are fermented in new oak barrels can have a distinctive taste. This taste may remind you of vanilla, spice or even caramel.

Oxidised: If a wine isn’t sealed correctly and air gets into the bottle, the wine ages prematurely. The result is a sherry-like taste or smell.

Single Vineyard: This refers to a wine that comes from one single vineyard – more often than not named on the bottle itself.

Tannin: If you’ve ever sipped very strong black tea you’ll have felt a ‘gum-drying’ sensation. This is caused by tannins. All red wines contains tannins to some extent. Some are mellow; some are harsher, but can soften with time.

Varietal: This means the wine is made from a single grape variety – usually named on the bottle.

Vintage: This is simply the year in which the grapes that have gone into making the wine were harvested.

a short list to get you started

Cabernet Sauvignon

Widely produced, but most notably in Bordeaux, South of France, California and Australia, this wine provides a distinctive blackcurrant flavour with a hint of mint and cedar.

Grenache

This grape gives its wine strong, ripe fruity flavours and a noticeable spiciness. It is grown throughout Europe and especially popular in Spain, as well as in the USA and Australia.

Merlot

This popular wine benefits from fruity, juicy flavours of blackcurrant, black cherry and mint. Less bitter and more alcoholic than Cabernet Sauvignon, it provides for a soft, subtle drinking experience.

Pinot Noir

This grape is used in most red Burgundy wines. With predominant flavours of raspberry and strawberry you will also find this grape used in white and pink champagne production.

Shiraz

This grape is best in deep-coloured, full-bodied wines. Its flavour is characterized by sweet fruits such as blackberry and raspberry – with peppery undertones.

Zinfandel

This popular red grape is almost exclusive to California. Popular as a light rose or blush wine, this grape can also provide sweet fruity flavours in big tannic red wines.

Chenin Blanc

This is a wine with plenty of acidity which can be dry or sweet. Grown extensively in the middle Loire region, you will also find this white grape very popular in South Africa.

Chardonnay

This white grape gives a dry wine with a rich complexity. Widely grown, it is thought to be the best white grape in California, Australia, New Zealand, Chile and South Africa.

Muscadet

This white wine is clean and tart. It works very well alongside seafood dishes.

Pinot Blanc

Similar in character to Chardonnay, this grape makes a delicious, easy white wine – with a hint of pear. It is grown increasingly widely in New Zealand.

Gewurztraminer

With a spicy aroma and noticeably fruity flavours, these wines are often rich and soft – even when dry. The grape is grown mostly in the Alsace region of France and in Germany.

Riesling

Another Alsace and German favourite, this is an excellent grape for dry, sweet wine. This grape has more recently been widely cultivated in New Zealand also.

Suavignon Blanc

A great success for New Zealand, this grape provides for a wine whose flavour is based on a lemon-citrus body but with undertones of fruity melon.

Semillon

From the Sauternes region comes this grape varietal that provides for a soft, dry white wine.

Some useful wine hints and tips.

There’s more to wine than meets the eye. To ensure you get maximum enjoyment from your choice of wine, make sure to follow the simple hints and tips outlined here.

Storing:

* Most wines are produced to be consumed early. Ageing only suits some special wines.

* Ideally wine should be stored between 6° and 10° C.

* Avoid dampness when it comes to storing wine.

* Wine should be stored where sudden changes in temperature cannot take place.

* If your wine has a real cork, then it should be stored lying horizontally, so that the bottom of the cork is kept moist.

Serving:

* Serve White Wine at between 4° and 7° C.

* Serve Rose at between 6° and 9° C.

* Serve Red Wine at between 15° and 18° C.

* As a general rule of thumb, white wines go well with white meats, red wines go well with red meats and rose goes well with everything! But don’t stick rigidly to this, drink what you like with your choice of dish and don’t be afraid to try something new.

Pouring:

* A good corkscrew is invaluable – as this can prevent damaging the cork and ruining the wine.

* Ideally your glass should be little more than half full – this will allow you to appreciate the aroma as well as the taste.

* Long-stemmed, thin-crystal, tulip-shaped glassware is best as not only does this shape trap the aroma inside the glass, but the long stem prevents finger smudging so that the wine’s colour can be truly appreciated.

Top Tip:

Careful decanting with a steady hand is one way to ensure you leave the sediment somewhere other than in your glass. However, if you haven’t the patience, the nerve or even the steady hand itself, simply pour the wine through a coffee filter. Okay, it might be cheating – but it works a treat!

now there.

Edited by Bizz