Don Muang: Safety Fears After Truck Rams Into Jet

george

Safety fears after truck rams into jet

Jetliner to go into repairs for 20 days

BANGKOK: -- An aircraft air-conditioning truck rammed into a Bangkok Airways Boeing 717-200 jetliner at Don Muang airport early yesterday, seriously damaging its right wing.

Though no one was injured when a member of Thai Airways ground crew drove an Isuzu truck into the back of the wing at 6.55am, it raised questions about the safety standards at one of the busiest airports in Southeast Asia.

THAI expressed regret and took full responsibility for the accident.

Bangkok Airways chief executive Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth said the jet will be out of service for at least 20 days and result in 100 million baht in lost business for the privately owned carrier.

Pethai Boonyaves, managing director of THAI's Ground Support Equipment Services, admitted the accident was human error on the part of the driver, only identified as Mr Wanchai.

He said a special committee has been appointed to investigate the incident and work closely with the insurance firm, Diphya Insurance.

The accident is the second such incident for the two airlines. About a year ago, the wing tip of a Bangkok Airways jet was hit by a THAI ground service truck at Don Muang. Operators at the airport say incidents of service vehicles damaging parked aircraft are not uncommon at Don Muang.

''It happens at least once a month and many cases aren't reported outside the airport.

''Don Muang is not a safe airport,'' one said.

Dr Prasert said the incident should ring alarm bells for authorities and parties concerned to seriously look at airport safety issues to regain the trust and confidence of international carriers.

He said Bangkok Airways has to figure out how to deal with the four to five flights a day which must be cancelled due to the grounding of the 125-seat, rear-engine B717-200. Yesterday four flights were cancelled, he said.

So far, THAI has not told Bangkok Airways whether it can spare any of its aircraft or provide seats to make up for the temporary loss of the jetliner.

Both airlines are gearing up to tap into a rebound in air travel to Thailand, especially in August which is the start of European holidays.

But the loss of the B717 will have a big impact on Bangkok Airways which is much smaller than THAI. The airline is now left with three B717s, and two 162-seat Airbus 320s and nine 70-seat ATR72 propeller aircraft.

In a statement issued yesterday, THAI said it has continued to place emphasis on maintaining the highest standard of safety for its ground crew at Don Muang.

--Bangkok Post 2005-07-16

What would worry me is if someone hit a critical component after the pilot/copilot did their external inspection, looked around and 'fled the scene' because no one saw him. Leaving a potentially fatally flawed aircraft to depart.

Back in my youth I used to do some part time airside driving working for a general aviation company.

Incidents like this were a nightmare mainly due to getting ribbed to death by your workmates afterwards.One occasion that sticks in mind was guiding a tug pulling a Gulfstream 5 out of the hanger and misjudging the height clearance.Theres nothing quite like the sound and judder of a G5's tailfin slapping the hanger door frame.

It was called "hanger rash" and was genrally kept very quiet.

Safety fears after truck rams into jet

Jetliner to go into repairs for 20 days

Bangkok Airways chief executive Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth said the jet will be out of service for at least 20 days and result in 100 million baht in lost business for the privately owned carrier..........

He said a special committee has been appointed to investigate the incident and work closely with the insurance firm, Diphya Insurance..........

--Bangkok Post 2005-07-16

I can see it now, "With immediate effect all BKK Air domestic flights will now be subject to an insurance surcharge" ! :o

From yesterdays Bangkok Post

Bangkok Airways, Thailand's largest privately owned carrier, is taking steps to become a fully fledged regional airline by adding up to 18 new jetliners and expanding its flight route to promising new destinations such as India and Japan.

Just a coincidence I'm sure.

Update:

THAI sets up panel to probe accident

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's national flag carrier, Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI), has set up a committee to investigate yesterday's accident in which the airline's motor freezer crashed into a Bangkok Airway plane waiting for taking off at the Don Muang International Airport in Bangkok.

The incident took place Friday morning when a THAI ground driver was taking the motor freezer to serve a THAI flight at Bay 125.

The motor freezer then accidentally crashed into the right wing of the Bangkok Airway's Boeing 717 aircraft at Bay 127.

The accident caused Bangkok Airways to cancel its PG123 domestic flight on the Bangkok-Samui Island in the southern resort province of Surat Thani due to the damage on the plane.

The national flag carrier's top executive for parking services and ground operations, Mr. Petai Boonyaves, confirmed that the company had given priority to its operational safety at the maximum level, including its training of staff and maintenance of equipment.

"THAI has, however, set up a panel to probe the accident, with its results expected to be concluded and reported to the public soon", he said.

--TNA 2005-07-16

Sure, build a panel, make a committee to investigate.

Just interview the persons involved and find out who's mistake it was.

These things happen and are not limited to Bangkok.

THAI expressed regret and took full responsibility for the accident

Thai Air, being responsible for the accident, should vey simply loan a 737 to Bangkok Air for 20 days when the repairs will be completed.

Bangkok Airways chief executive Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth said the jet will be out of service for at least 20 days and result in 100 million baht in lost business for the privately owned carrier..........

That would solve the problem of the 100 million baht in lost revenues and also save the insurance company the payout.

Really, why would we expect driving on the tarmac to be any different than driving on the roads.

If I had a new 717 and someone drove a truck into it, I wouldn't want to borrow their old 737 (and how do know our guys can even fly it? or are you going to lend us a crew also?), while they hammer out the dents on my now less than flawless 717. I'd want a new plane.

:o

Edited by Heng

What would worry me is if someone hit a critical component after the pilot/copilot did their external inspection, looked around and 'fled the scene' because no one saw him. Leaving a potentially fatally flawed aircraft to depart.

I wouldn't really worry about that. Between the pilots doing the "walk around" (right before the flight) and ground crew always having an eye on the aircraft, it's highly unlikely something will go unnoticed. If it is serious enough to jepardize the flight, it'll probably be obviously noticeable (ie - the wing falling off) and/or alarms/bells/whistles/lights will be going off like mad in the cockpit when it's powered up.